Search
Like Tree1Likes

Spec 1/8 Pan Car .21 no frill's racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
I wish that we could find a decent header for the Picco .05 engine. As light as this car is, the .12 is a lot for it, at least for my (lack of) driving ability.

scott
It's cheaper and easier to just turn down the throttle end point so the carb only opens partially when you hold full throttle. Then you can turn it back up as you get used to it.

Keep an eye on engine temperature if you do this, as the mixture at partial carb opening will be different from full bore.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aarcobra
I built it, I brought it to Toledo and ran it....nobody gave a $#!+.....

$175

Attachment 1079727

Attachment 1079728

Attachment 1079729

Attachment 1079730
But it is absolutely gorgeous! And one of my favorite paint schemes, too!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by howardcano
But it is absolutely gorgeous! And one of my favorite paint schemes, too!
In trying to find a cheaper, easier to build and maintain on-road gas car, this approach was suggested. Made sense to me (but I'm old, first raced in 1970!). So I found parts and built it up. Ran fine, fun, could be reproduced fairly easily. Nobody cared. I gave up!!!

The warnings of the founders were not heeded and we have slotless slotcars in most classes...IMHO ;-)
Old 06-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

$175

Attachment 1079727

Attachment 1079728

Attachment 1079729

Attachment 1079730
I thought you had built an 8th scale racer. I was about to buy it
Old 06-17-2013, 07:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

$175

Attachment 1079727

Attachment 1079728

Attachment 1079729

Attachment 1079730
i must have missed that day, trust me some of us do give a #$% but we are all victims of what the public wants too do. can't force folks too be interested
Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Default 1/10th...1/8th...1/5th...1/4th...what do you want?

Originally Posted by Wanabrc
I thought you had built an 8th scale racer. I was about to buy it
OOPS! Doing just what I complained about...Jumping topics in a thread.

This thread is for "Spec 1/8 Pan". Somebody brings up the 1/10th Pan, Joe and Scott comment. I get sucked in and say "been there, done that, you want it??"

This is the same way I got sucked into the GT8 discussion. Some body went off topic and mentioned them, I stated my opinion, based on my likes and observations and pow!.

I have to admit they seem to be much more popular at big races and some of the cars are looking much better. But I am not interested. Sorry...

(I really think a 1/10th gas pan car, with a spec motor and VTA type rules MIGHT be the best overall vehicle to get new blood into on-road. BUT most of the racers left in on-road gas are pros or semi pros or wannabe pros and are not interested in anything but top of the line speed. The current 1/8th scale cars are just unrealistic on the track (IMO). Doorstop bodies and ungodly speeds which require considerably more than average skill and $$ to even hope to compete. (AGAIN IMO).)
Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Take that simple design of that 1/10 blow it up to 1/8 scale and put a OS .18 TZ in there you end up with a fast well balance good handling car.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Tech Master

Default Exactly!!!!

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
Take that simple design of that 1/10 blow it up to 1/8 scale and put a OS .18 TZ in there you end up with a fast well balance good handling car.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
i agree with both of you guys, watching those guys is ok, but for most of the people a simpler car would be more fun. but we have circled back too no cars at the local shops i say lets see what phils buds at edam come up with if anything at all. you all must remember ricks 8L car exactly what you just talked about. if i could guys i would produce a pan car like that. you are by no means alone in your thinking.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

If Kyosho would import their nitro F1 car, I'd be pretty happy. It's not 1/8 scale, but it looks pretty accurate and doesn't have a hp/weight ratio that would make a full scale F1 car jealous. I know that I can order it from overseas, but I'd like to have more readily available parts. I AM interested in what Edam comes up with.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Meh

Originally Posted by 5italkart
i agree with both of you guys, watching those guys is ok, but for most of the people a simpler car would be more fun. but we have circled back too no cars at the local shops i say lets see what phils buds at edam come up with if anything at all. you all must remember ricks 8L car exactly what you just talked about. if i could guys i would produce a pan car like that. you are by no means alone in your thinking.
Edam will not, in itself, produce a car. They are unsure of the market, it's a change from what they are making (but not much) and they don't have a direction to go in, since I doubt any of them ever ran a pan car.

For better or worse, this is where I enter the picture. They've agreed to give it a shot, provided I either send them highly detailed drawings and fund the prototype (build per spec) or build a working prototype and issue an order for some kits. I agreed to do the latter, and I'm currently at work on said prototype, using the features I've discussed in the 2wd forum. I favor my particular prototype, using the GT2 drivetrain, but I know everyone else is more comfortable with belt drive a/la Moto, and since an Edam can be adapted pretty easily to that build, that's the direction we're going.

I'm with several others on here when it comes to cost. We've talked, I think endlessly, about how onroad needs a cheap, durable alternative. I've looked at this from a few different ways, from just a pan kit to a pan/4wd combo kit which I think would be a good idea giving people some versatility, but given the cost of most 4wd kits, I'm thinking if we can't get this done for 300 or less, it probably won't work. Granted, most of this class will be newbies or old timers wanting to relax and drive for a change, but the cost has got to be low to generate interest. I don't think this is impossible....I can currently import a 4wd RTR for about 300, that's including cheap engine and radio (which is perfect for the newbie, just add fuel and igniter) and this is why I'm hoping to keep a kit (or more) at 300 per. All that said, I'm of the opinion that at any race where pan is running, any pan should be accepted, whether home-built or factory. We need to encourage people to do some building of their own, some experimenting, and get some modellers like Ned back into this thing full time...maybe it'll rub off on others.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Edam will not, in itself, produce a car. They are unsure of the market, it's a change from what they are making (but not much) and they don't have a direction to go in, since I doubt any of them ever ran a pan car.

For better or worse, this is where I enter the picture. They've agreed to give it a shot, provided I either send them highly detailed drawings and fund the prototype (build per spec) or build a working prototype and issue an order for some kits. I agreed to do the latter, and I'm currently at work on said prototype, using the features I've discussed in the 2wd forum. I favor my particular prototype, using the GT2 drivetrain, but I know everyone else is more comfortable with belt drive a/la Moto, and since an Edam can be adapted pretty easily to that build, that's the direction we're going.

I'm with several others on here when it comes to cost. We've talked, I think endlessly, about how onroad needs a cheap, durable alternative. I've looked at this from a few different ways, from just a pan kit to a pan/4wd combo kit which I think would be a good idea giving people some versatility, but given the cost of most 4wd kits, I'm thinking if we can't get this done for 300 or less, it probably won't work. Granted, most of this class will be newbies or old timers wanting to relax and drive for a change, but the cost has got to be low to generate interest. I don't think this is impossible....I can currently import a 4wd RTR for about 300, that's including cheap engine and radio (which is perfect for the newbie, just add fuel and igniter) and this is why I'm hoping to keep a kit (or more) at 300 per. All that said, I'm of the opinion that at any race where pan is running, any pan should be accepted, whether home-built or factory. We need to encourage people to do some building of their own, some experimenting, and get some modellers like Ned back into this thing full time...maybe it'll rub off on others.
I have some ideas for a front end that will be similar
to an old Trinity revolver...are you open to more
ideas for your plan that will be submitted to Edam or
are you thinking of using your front end in
plastic???... Like the WRC car???
Old 06-18-2013, 08:11 PM
avs
Tech Master

the 1/10 2wd class with spec motor was really good racing. given today's situation, wouldn't it make sense to just take any 1/8 onroad chassis (no restrictions) with 2wd and a spec motor.

the 1/8 tire prices are pretty good already, it would be hard to produce a 1/10 tire set for substantially lower $$. with 2wd and spec motor power the tire wear would be reduced.

so the only tooling is for a decent 1/8 capable diff, and a 3port motor. wouldn't this provide the kind of bang for the buck that the old 235mm 1/10 2wd class had (before 4wd and turbo motors got mixed in?)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by avs
the 1/10 2wd class with spec motor was really good racing. given today's situation, wouldn't it make sense to just take any 1/8 onroad chassis (no restrictions) with 2wd and a spec motor.

Any=4WD? That doesn't help lower the cost of entry or set-up complication. BUT it has been discussed before and never got going. After a 15yr. lay off of 1/8 Gas, I bought a 5yr. old Kyosho Evolva ($150) and used Picco ($150) and got "second" (after bump ups) in the C Masters at the '11 WinterNats! I had a ball. Unfortunately at other races with fewer racers, I had fewer people to race with competitively. I guess most people think to run 4wd you absolutely HAVE to do hours of set-up, testing , etc. to have fun. I have not found it that way. Driven "realistically" a 4wd just "works" for me!!! lol

the 1/8 tire prices are pretty good already, it would be hard to produce a 1/10 tire set for substantially lower $$. with 2wd and spec motor power the tire wear would be reduced.

True enough.

so the only tooling is for a decent 1/8 capable diff, and a 3port motor. wouldn't this provide the kind of bang for the buck that the old 235mm 1/10 2wd class had (before 4wd and turbo motors got mixed in?)
The diff has bee one of the hold ups in all of the discussions in this area and as you say it could be solved if one were available. Unfortunately the diff is one of the parts that are not easily built at home.

Over all it is another good point but now I'm in trouble again 'cause I'm discussing things off topic. 4wd, to most of us is not "no-frills"....
Old 06-19-2013, 06:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hm

Originally Posted by Taylorm
I have some ideas for a front end that will be similar
to an old Trinity revolver...are you open to more
ideas for your plan that will be submitted to Edam or
are you thinking of using your front end in
plastic???... Like the WRC car???
I'm open to any idea that works, is durable, and saves a buck. I'm not real handy at fabricating out of plastic, however, so I'd have to have detailed drawings....which I'm also lousy at, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.