Wiki Posts
Search

How to: Saucing foam tyres 1/8

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Tech Regular

Default How to: Saucing foam tyres 1/8

Hi there,

it is common in some countries to sauce foam tyres in 1/8th on-road. Where I race it was not allowed for a long time and now (since the rules have changed) I hear more and more drivers talking about it and experimenting with additives.

Now, at the time beeing I don't see the need to do it because my lap times are still competitive and when I hand my car to one of the top drivers he will be able to drive much quicker laps which is showing me that I still have potential in regard to my driving.

But as soon as I will start to see that drivers who are usually slower then me all of a sudden improve a lot, I want to be ready to give saucing a try as well.

My mate did some experiments and even bought a machine to massage the sauce in the foam, but he faced issues with consistency from one set to the next and from full diameter to small. It is also very time consuming to prepare 10 sets of tyres for a race meeting in this way (in advance, at home). In additation, his tyres were quite wet when he put them on the car and for a few laps they were not driveable. This is a now go if you race because there is only 2mins of warm-up prior to every qualifier.

So here is the question: Is there a proven way to sauce tyres in a fast, straightforward and consistant way? I started rc racing in electric touring with rubber tyres and saucing was easy and done by everone in the pits whilst charging the battery.

Please let me hear your thoughts
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fulcrum2
Hi there,

it is common in some countries to sauce foam tyres in 1/8th on-road. Where I race it was not allowed for a long time and now (since the rules have changed) I hear more and more drivers talking about it and experimenting with additives.

Now, at the time beeing I don't see the need to do it because my lap times are still competitive and when I hand my car to one of the top drivers he will be able to drive much quicker laps which is showing me that I still have potential in regard to my driving.

But as soon as I will start to see that drivers who are usually slower then me all of a sudden improve a lot, I want to be ready to give saucing a try as well.

My mate did some experiments and even bought a machine to massage the sauce in the foam, but he faced issues with consistency from one set to the next and from full diameter to small. It is also very time consuming to prepare 10 sets of tyres for a race meeting in this way (in advance, at home). In additation, his tyres were quite wet when he put them on the car and for a few laps they were not driveable. This is a now go if you race because there is only 2mins of warm-up prior to every qualifier.

So here is the question: Is there a proven way to sauce tyres in a fast, straightforward and consistant way? I started rc racing in electric touring with rubber tyres and saucing was easy and done by everone in the pits whilst charging the battery.

Please let me hear your thoughts
Here are my thoughts:

As far as I know, you are in Germany and here, tyre additives are strictly forbidden as you know.

Therefore, why would you say that you'll give saucing a try if you fall back on lap times?
That's cheating.
Why has your "mate" prepared ten sets of tyres and bought a machine?
That's cheating as well.

This is exactly what I hate about this entire issue. people that think they are being cheated, although they might not be, start to experiment with this crap.

Now if you do it and get faster, the other will ask themselves why and start the same crap.

In no time we'll have the same horrible situation as they have in Italy and on EFRA races right now, that the most important things at a race are:
-Which sauce do you have to use
-how do you have to apply it
-when do you have to apply it
-how does the sauce of your choice work with different tyres.
-how long does the sauce last into a race and how does the car act when it's gone.

Great stuff. If that's what you want for the future of onroad racing in Germany, keep getting advise on it and help ruin this hobby.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stefan
Here are my thoughts:

As far as I know, you are in Germany and here, tyre additives are strictly forbidden as you know.

Therefore, why would you say that you'll give saucing a try if you fall back on lap times?
That's cheating.
Why has your "mate" prepared ten sets of tyres and bought a machine?
That's cheating as well.

This is exactly what I hate about this entire issue. people that think they are being cheated, although they might not be, start to experiment with this crap.

Now if you do it and get faster, the other will ask themselves why and start the same crap.

In no time we'll have the same horrible situation as they have in Italy and on EFRA races right now, that the most important things at a race are:
-Which sauce do you have to use
-how do you have to apply it
-when do you have to apply it
-how does the sauce of your choice work with different tyres.
-how long does the sauce last into a race and how does the car act when it's gone.

Great stuff. If that's what you want for the future of onroad racing in Germany, keep getting advise on it and help ruin this hobby.
This is exactly the situation we have in the U.S. now. At every race.

What a GIANT pain in the ASS!!!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Tech Regular

Sounds like have stirred a hornets nest here. I am not in Germany
and it is allowed by the rules where I race. So please don't assume
things and don't use the word cheating.
I do also think it is a pain in the ass and want to avoid it, but
if it becomes the norm here I either have to do it as well or get
out of the hobby...
Old 08-08-2012, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by fulcrum2
Sounds like have stirred a hornets nest here. I am not in Germany
and it is allowed by the rules where I race. So please don't assume
things and don't use the word cheating.
I do also think it is a pain in the ass and want to avoid it, but
if it becomes the norm here I either have to do it as well or get
out of the hobby...
It is not cheating here either...........I wish someone would post a tutorial on how to do it, I guess I'm going to have to spend the $300 dollars for the latest saucing machine so I can be competitive again.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Lord

You can stick your head into the ground like an ostrich and be blind to everything what is happening arround you. I know at least one guy in the German competition who is "cheating" and it would not supprise me if there are more.
But probably in Germany everyone is playing fair.....

In the Dutch competition with the last race the shop owners were selling their fully loaded trunk with additives empty to the last bottle but still no one is doing it.... Even the largerst fighter against additives here in Holland is a re-seller of that stuff....

Although the rules are not there yet there are no ways to rule it out for the full 100%, so in a way we have accepted that it is done.

I think in Holland it will be legal next year so topics like this are usefull. It is anoying that additives are sold without any manual, not even on their websites can something be found to explain what to to in what time with or without heating etc.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:49 AM
Tech Elite

Last race I attended I saw a guy with at least half a dozen different kinds of sauce? I asked a competitor if i could try some and he told me no that it was a secret sauce.....(no pun intended). I would love to see some people post which suaces they have tried and how and when they were applied just so I don't have to try six different flavors, cll me lazy.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Lazy
Old 08-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by garen
Lazy
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Thanks Garen
Old 08-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Tech Lord

The setup comes from a jar....
But even then you must work on a setup to get the best out of it.

Yes, there are differences between different additives but the differences are smaller than the difference between cheaters and the clean drivers.

Because it is happening while the rules ar forbidding it everyone is accusing everyone which is not giving a friendly and healthy atmosphere. As long there are no good detectors you can not win from the cheaters. That is the reason Why the EFRA has changed it and believe me, with the ciurrent knowledge more countries will allow it.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
It is not cheating here either...........I wish someone would post a tutorial on how to do it, I guess I'm going to have to spend the $300 dollars for the latest saucing machine so I can be competitive again.
75%-100% rear

50% inside front

is a good starting point

I run most of my practice without it then my final practice i go out with it.

for most runs I put it on as soon as I can and work it into the tire.

I have a tire saucer but have only used it once this year, its not a must have.

seems difference sauce works at different tracks we are limited to one brand where I race most of the time.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:50 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yes it's cheating in some places but perfectly legal in others so can we leave off all the cheating BS and actually talk about what to do for those of us that can do it legally?
Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Tech Elite

Default Homemade sauce

Does anybody remember how we made tire sauce "back in the day".
I remember the late 80's using something like

spirits of turpentine
oil of wintergreen
and can't remember the 3rd ingredient? anybody remeber???
Old 08-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

I don't understand the concern....wouldn't it be easy to tech the cars to see who may be using sauce prior to a race? (of course, where it's not allowed).

What would be the benefits of using a tire saucing machine as opposed to simply putting the sauce on and then rubbing it off 15 mins later as we used to do back in sedan foam racing?......saw these machines online and have been wondering what they were all about.....
Old 08-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You don't need a machine but if you want the sauce to last more than 5 laps, you need a LOT more than 15 minutes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.