R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default HELP needed from the 1:8 SERPENT on road guys

I need some help with a conversion on my BMT cars- I want to convert the front ends to 12mm hubs so I can use modern day rims- mine are 8mm on the Pantera, 14mm on the 933 and 6mm on the 931- all oddball hub sizes.

It seems to me that the Serpent 12mm hub will be the ideal choice here- the ideal case would be if I can just swap out my steering blocks for Serpent ones.

On the pic below I am showing what my Pantera has for a setup, the others are the same. I guess the place to start checking compatibility would be the pivot ball as shown on top- if that works then the size of the ball on the front drive shaft and if that doesn't fit either, I can make a hybrid by cutting and welding a Serpent drive shaft to the BMT drive shaft, I can do some precise welding.

So guys, can you please measure some parts and let me know what could work, part number etc.

Your help is much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
HELP needed from the 1:8 SERPENT on road guys-bmt.jpg  
Dimitri_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitri_K View Post
I need some help with a conversion on my BMT cars- I want to convert the front ends to 12mm hubs so I can use modern day rims- mine are 8mm on the Pantera, 14mm on the 933 and 6mm on the 931- all oddball hub sizes.

It seems to me that the Serpent 12mm hub will be the ideal choice here- the ideal case would be if I can just swap out my steering blocks for Serpent ones.

On the pic below I am showing what my Pantera has for a setup, the others are the same. I guess the place to start checking compatibility would be the pivot ball as shown on top- if that works then the size of the ball on the front drive shaft and if that doesn't fit either, I can make a hybrid by cutting and welding a Serpent drive shaft to the BMT drive shaft, I can do some precise welding.

So guys, can you please measure some parts and let me know what could work, part number etc.

Your help is much appreciated!
i have both serpent and bmt car's from the same erra, and the part's dont swap out, and i havnt seen a conversion. BMT is back in business but only producing gt class car's and offer no support for the old stuff before they went under, what a shame, awsome collector machines though!! jesse
Teamgimpy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

I did some more research and narrowed stuff down.

I need to verify the size of the thread of the pivot balls where it screws into the upper and lower control arms- the BMT ones are 5mm. Can you check that on the Serpent for me please?

Also the size of the Serpent ball end of the driveshafts on the outer side- the BMT ones are 8mm.

All help is much appreciated!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

I do not know with the Pantera but the frontshaft has a larger and a smaller ball

The large ball is the same as any othe 1/8 scale car
Old 01-25-2013, 03:36 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
I do not know with the Pantera but the frontshaft has a larger and a smaller ball

The large ball is the same as any othe 1/8 scale car
Yes, I have posted the specs of the Pantera driveshaft on the picture above^ the outer end is 8mm and the inner end is 7mm, as long as the Serpent (I think I will go with the 950R setup) has the same size driveshaft, the only other thing would be the size of the bolt coming out of the pivot balls, the BMT is 5mm.

You are saying that all the modern 1/8 scale cars have the same size driveshaft ball? If so, that would be awesome!