R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-29-2005, 10:20 AM   #16
Tech Rookie

A friend's failsafe on a new XTM XLB failed to kick in when the signal got scrambled and sent the buggy into a wall at 20mph. Fresh batteries in both tx and rx and was 30-40ft away when it happened. Luckily all he broke was a metal rod used to support the internals to the chassis.

The only thing disturbing is the car did this once while in another parking lot late at night standing 20ft from the car during break in and the fail safe activated for some odd reason, but did so correctly without locking the throttle in full open position. It just stopped responding.

Is the rubber band really that effective of a secondary failsafe? Right now, my friend can't "trust" his XTM won't launch into a street or other large object if it happens again. Its less than a week old with only a handful of tanks run through it.

Also, could excessive vibration cause this and further isolating of the wires will be needed? The XTM is totally stock.

Sunny
JaguarXJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 12:53 PM   #17
Tech Regular

OK,

If you think logically then why not eliminate points of failure...switch is one. You can remove it. In Europe and Asia many people run without it (I am talking racing here).

Second is one that has been mentioned a few times. A GOOD return spring. I think will eliminate many problems.

A failsafe is still a good thing but only works under specific circumstances...

John
jrabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:15 PM   #18
Tech Regular

where do we apply the rubber band and/springs for a subsistute fail safe?
dct147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 03:11 PM   #19
Tech Rookie

Thanks John! We'll both probably make a trip over to Hobby People where he bought the buggy and see if they have a better spring and a different fail safe switch and I'll do some shopping of my own. Out of the box, this fail safe switch appears buggy (no pun intended!).

He has a much better transmitter (higher quality, not sure which type, an FM band I think) that he might be able to use with it from his other RC car he bought 6 or 7 years ago that was not top of the line but close to it.

Sunny
JaguarXJ6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 12:00 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to GReddy

dont get the ofna one get the venom one much better
GReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 01:26 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Neil

Another thing that a return spring or a failsafe won't protect against is a radio hit where the the guy on your channel is closer to your car than you. Your car will almost always take his signal. But hopefully you don't race with idiots and that won't happen to you.

Last edited by Neil; 05-08-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 02:08 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have a Dynomite one if anyones interested, $20 shipped. Made by Venom I believe, never been used. I bought it off season and now have PCM so I don't need it. Rob

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:02 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (95%+)

my failsafe had no problem kicking in when someone turned their radio on as soon as it glitched the failsafe turned on and i believe the dynamite operates at a lower voltage(usage?) so when the battery dies the failsafe automatically kicks in meaning theres enough to run the failsafe but not the servos.one person at our track thought he was having problems with is failsafe engaging when it shouldnt said he had just charged the battery earlier in the day when he removed it everything worked fine so he raced it in the first heat about4-5 laps in it took off wide open jumped the track into the feild next door and hit a wall about 500 ft away as soon as it hit we knew it was toast a 3 week old savage with 200.00 in repairs all he had to do was recharge the batt. it turns out he never turned the charger on hooked it up but never turned it on.yes they really do work but there are other things that need to be done also(throttle return spring,inspecting your vehicle) that will prevent runaways.
stevenmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:44 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to AJC13B

Ive got a Duratrax FS (I think) and while I have had no problems bashing my NCT3 about my street, when I went to the track I had massive problems. Seems my FS was picking up someone elses signal and glitching like a mofo. Took the FS off and had no more problems...
AJC13B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to GReddy

the duratrax ones are gay they brake when u hold full throttle for a few seconds

or at least thats how my friends is
GReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:29 AM   #26
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bbntc3
I've always used PCM on my radio with built in failsafe, now I use the new Spektrum system with failsafe built in. I never thought the add on was worth the weight and trouble mounting. I guess with the lesser radio systems it could be of some help. Just remember no failsafe works if you loose batt voltage.
I think I have bad news for people. I was just told yesterday that the failsafe on the specktrm will not work for low voltage. It will work for range and interference only. I was told this through my ljs by the company.. This really s..ks as I already bot one and I do not want to add another failsafe to the car.
CHUCKMANDO is offline   Reply With Quote