R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

First of all build the clutch like described in the manual, so with the advised preload, gap and endplay.

Then try the car on the track, if you feel the car lacks acceleration the clutch engages too soon and you need to tighten it. Start tightening it until you hear it slipping on the track. It's slipping when the engine revs rise fast but the car doesn't accelerate as fast. When it starts to slip loosen the preload nut by a quarter turn and you have a good working clutch.

When you have your preload set accordingly you can try different gap settings and fine tune the preload tension for those gap settings. When you increase the gap you normally need to loosen the preload nut a bit and when you decrease the gap you can tighten the preload nut a bit.

If you're still experiencing issues ask an experienced club member to help you out.

Personally I either run a .45 gap or a .50 gap and adjust the spring tension like described above. This is with a Capricorn clutch.

In the download section of my website you can find a manual on how to build a Capricorn clutch:

http://www.capricornrc.nl/downloads
Old 01-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

With 1/8 I have heard that even a gap of 0.9 is used....
0.5 is indeed for 1/8 to low, I belive it is even mentioned in the Evolva manual.

Eating shoes has also to do with the shoe itself. Serpent and also Mugen had some difficulties with the yellow shoe when changed from material or manufacturer. We have tryed several PTFE materials and the red seems to work very well

Also the clutch problems with the introduction of the Xray RX8 did give a lot of sight on the problems you can face and the funny thing was that there were several solutions but also could drive people to madness and finally end up with a different engine mount and a Mugen clutch.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
With 1/8 I have heard that even a gap of 0.9 is used....
0.5 is indeed for 1/8 to low, I belive it is even mentioned in the Evolva manual.

Eating shoes has also to do with the shoe itself. Serpent and also Mugen had some difficulties with the yellow shoe when changed from material or manufacturer. We have tryed several PTFE materials and the red seems to work very well

Also the clutch problems with the introduction of the Xray RX8 did give a lot of sight on the problems you can face and the funny thing was that there were several solutions but also could drive people to madness and finally end up with a different engine mount and a Mugen clutch.
Good info... I'm not sure if things have change in the last few years; but the current Serpent yellow shoe and steel bell is the "CAT'S MEOW". I've seen the front wheels lift off the ground on the 966TE with the Serpent yellow shoe and steel bell when done right. I've been racing 1/10 sedan onroad for about 6-7 years and I'm still learning something every year about a centax clutch.

Pass you soon...
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

thanks for the comments...learn something new everytime
yeap having the perfect clutch setups are subjective i guess. but at least we are well informed b4 choosing which or what to do.

just wonderin of going back to the 'old school' clutch setup where no shims is required behind the inside bearing. In general what are the advantages /disadvantages of such setup. thanks again
RCCUTM
pemandu upahan ;)
rcabj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by djiewie View Post
About the wife thing; been there and experienced it
but centax is easy normally. With .5 gap its real difficult. with so smal a gap the only centax i know is the capricorn clutch with the red shoe wich does it good.
And with 8 scale its best i think to have a bigger gap and a harder shoe if you want an soft clutch. because of the power these engines have. They need to really hit it hard. to grab it otherwise you will be polishing shoes and wear through them without real grunt. Just a 10 scale racers opinion though. with some 8 scale experience from 30 years ago when clutches were important to get power. Not like these days with these power beasts wich will tear through anything no matter what.
The black Edam shoe wears pretty well. Most of my experience is from 30 years ago as well (which probably explains all the antique Delta, Thorp, and etc I have sitting around the shop. And I've found that sometimes applying too much power to the track is not such a good thing, especially when the driver is questionable.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to Roelof

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcabj View Post
thanks for the comments...learn something new everytime
yeap having the perfect clutch setups are subjective i guess. but at least we are well informed b4 choosing which or what to do.

just wonderin of going back to the 'old school' clutch setup where no shims is required behind the inside bearing. In general what are the advantages /disadvantages of such setup. thanks again
The old style clutch has gotten a lot of devellopment over the last years with better springs and schoe types like carbon and aluminium, sadly there are no compatable versions for current 1/8 scale cars but only from the Kyosho GT series and for the 1/10 the Kyosho Vone-SR.
Building up such a clutch is foul proof, not only in building but also driveabillity. I have runned the old 5 and 6 shoe type BMT clutch on my Mugen and it works quite well but if you want to have more you do need a Centax style. A Centax is more adjustable to any conditions, driveabillity and driving style.

I have tryed an aluminium shoe but it was no succes:

Although I have seen one for a Kyosho 1/10 clutch