R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #61
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meilleur View Post
I figred that. Just wonderin since i have an old engine sitting around. What kind of fuel mileage are you getting out of that 09 and tank combo? With the current crop lipo and brushless motors F1 run times arent limited to 5-6 min like back in the days.
I am getting around 7 minutes on a tank using 16%nitro. If you use a higher nitro level you will get lower mileage as the engine will be running richer. Also I have an access hole in the body to allow for refueling without having to remove the body. If you look at some of the pictures I posted earlier you can see the access hole behind the driver on the left side.

-Rich
Racer-rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 AM   #62
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

Rich,

So I found an SP kit for around $200. Also picked up the 2spd, ride height spacers, springs, the AP brake pad set and the IFW brake disc. I picked up the brake disc combo since I used those on my RRR and they worked really well. I'm sure it might be overkill for this car though. Are the Tamiya 103 wheels the only ones that fit? Does that go for bodies as well?

The other thing I was looking at was the plasma front end conversion. It looks like a hinged upper arm. Have you or anybody you know used that front end? Looks like a nice tuning option for the front roll center.
Meilleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #63
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Rich,

So I found an SP kit for around $200. Also picked up the 2spd, ride height spacers, springs, the AP brake pad set and the IFW brake disc. I picked up the brake disc combo since I used those on my RRR and they worked really well. I'm sure it might be overkill for this car though. Are the Tamiya 103 wheels the only ones that fit? Does that go for bodies as well?

The other thing I was looking at was the plasma front end conversion. It looks like a hinged upper arm. Have you or anybody you know used that front end? Looks like a nice tuning option for the front roll center.
Great to see another kf01 get on the track!
There are a lot of tire vendors out there who's tires and rims will work. Such as Exceed and Kyosho (basically any f101-104 style wheels will fit, even rubber). I like the Exceed tires as well as the Kyosho soft rear and hard fronts.
I have not tried the plasma front end but it could work.

As far as bodies go almost any f1 body will fit if you use the matching front wings. It is just the center section that needs to be wide to cover the brake disc and the two speed. The new body styles with undercut center section may not work out. However, the front and rear wing mount are similar to Tamiya's so most of them will fit. I like the Kyosho ones that are made for the kit as they have all of the cutouts predrawn (it cuts down on the mistakes ) and they are cheap from Bonazi.

Post some pictures when you the car together
-Rich
Old 08-03-2013, 02:36 AM   #64
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-rich View Post
Great to see another kf01 get on the track!
There are a lot of tire vendors out there who's tires and rims will work. Such as Exceed and Kyosho (basically any f101-104 style wheels will fit, even rubber). I like the Exceed tires as well as the Kyosho soft rear and hard fronts.
I have not tried the plasma front end but it could work.

As far as bodies go almost any f1 body will fit if you use the matching front wings. It is just the center section that needs to be wide to cover the brake disc and the two speed. The new body styles with undercut center section may not work out. However, the front and rear wing mount are similar to Tamiya's so most of them will fit. I like the Kyosho ones that are made for the kit as they have all of the cutouts predrawn (it cuts down on the mistakes ) and they are cheap from Bonazi.

Post some pictures when you the car together
-Rich

Rich,

Where are you from?
Old 08-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #65
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Rich,

Where are you from?
I am in the San francisco, Ca. bay area (San Jose). I normally race at Nor-Cal hobbies and 1/5 scale at RAMS.

-Rich
Old 08-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #66
Tech Apprentice

Default Plazma conversion

Quote:
Rich,

FYI
Banzai now carry the plazma front end conversion. Also look at plazma page and R246 page, there you'll find more KF01 parts. Also look at F1rc/kyosho page for more parts.

I used to live in SF before moving back to Manila
momoyluds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #67
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoyluds View Post
FYI
Banzai now carry the plazma front end conversion. Also look at plazma page and R246 page, there you'll find more KF01 parts. Also look at F1rc/kyosho page for more parts.

Already on it! This is the order I put in. Should be here tomorrow.

1 x R246-3801 Front Suspension conversion
1 x KFW010 front spring for KF01
1 x 31009 KF01 SP kit   
1 x KFW025 2 spd transmission set
1 x KFW013 Aluminum rear wheel hub
1 x KFW015 Aluminum Diff pulley
1 x KFW017 Aluminum Disc Brake  
1 x R246-3709 Height Adjustment set

They were out of the rear springs. And of all the things I forgot to pick up was a starter box. Any ideas if this will have the clearance:

http://www.ofna.com/images/starters/st-sb-10260.jpg
Old 08-09-2013, 04:35 AM   #68
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoyluds View Post
FYI

Momo,

Have you tried to run this car on rubber tires? On another note, I may be out there in PI at the end of the year or the beginning of next. And I might just bring some gear with me. Are you guys running this car over there?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #69
Tech Regular

Rich,

What plugs do you recommend for this engine?
Old 08-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #70
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Rich,

What plugs do you recommend for this engine?
Hi,
The stock plug works great with the stock engine. The stock glow plug is a "cold to medium" heat range plug. However if you are going to use some fuel with a really high level of nitro then you will need to get the optional heatsink so that you can use a standard size plug. The stock glow plug Has a smaller thread than a standard plug. Kyosho America carries the stock glow plug and any local hobby store or even tower hobbies carries the stock plug (they can also get any of the stock engine parts as this engine is used in the mini-inferno off road buggy that was imported to the U.S.).
The optional heatsink head that will take a standard glow plug is "route246 R246-4047".
There are other optional engine parts such as a hi compression back plate that might need a hotter glow plug.
Take a look at the Bonzai Hobbies website to check out the engine hop ups etc.

-Rich
Old 08-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #71
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer-rich View Post
Hi,
The stock plug works great with the stock engine. The stock glow plug is a "cold to medium" heat range plug. However if you are going to use some fuel with a really high level of nitro then you will need to get the optional heatsink so that you can use a standard size plug. The stock glow plug Has a smaller thread than a standard plug. Kyosho America carries the stock glow plug and any local hobby store or even tower hobbies carries the stock plug (they can also get any of the stock engine parts as this engine is used in the mini-inferno off road buggy that was imported to the U.S.).
The optional heatsink head that will take a standard glow plug is "route246 R246-4047".
There are other optional engine parts such as a hi compression back plate that might need a hotter glow plug.
Take a look at the Bonzai Hobbies website to check out the engine hop ups etc.

-Rich
Thanks!
Old 08-16-2013, 08:08 AM   #72
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I am afraid that im gonna need to see some video!!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:45 AM   #73
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
I am afraid that im gonna need to see some video!!
Hopefully i can get it ready for this weekend.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #74
Tech Regular

Double post
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #75
Tech Rookie

racer-rich,
i've been silently lurking around this forum due to my interest in F1. Tried to run and learn from UF1 houston, but now I am about to re-locate back to san jose and would like to know the schedule of running KF01 races at norcal? I watched the rams-rc WCC last weekend and my jaws dropped watching and video-ng the F1 class. thank for any info.

Rodel
xcirven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f1-1/10 nitro, kyosho kf01