Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree14Likes

Serpent 977 Viper

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 02:01 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by M7H
The ALU bell, will get scratched on the inside, it will not be smooth, don't bother about that. But I do think you should only use it for qualifying, because it will not last long enough for a main final.
Not really! Take a look the Mugen alu bell, the bell inside should look dark with carbon dust w/o grooves when fully break in.

But Serpent alu bell is easy to get scratch (grooves) inside, you can find some alu powder on the shoe surface, which cause the groove on the bell!!!! So clean up anytime to avoid the alu powder when you service the clutch or even newly assemble the clutch

I use it on 45 min final w/o any problem, although there some grooves inside the bell. If those grooves are too deep, the clutch will bog cause bell surface area is increased by the grooves.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:41 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 8thracer
Nope shortening the shaft by turning the ball end in increases the ride height !
Are you sure?....
Shortening the RCM shocks of the 977 will certainly lower the ride height, but only if you make the shock to short, it will then take over the function of the down stop (droop) setting.

With L27 rear springs harder then Red, lower ride heights then 9-10mm with 75+ mm tyres is a challenge.
But because the car has the same shocks used in the front and the rear, the short L23 springs will work also in the rear, and I suggest to try that.

Originally Posted by beebone
Not really! Take a look the Mugen alu bell, the bell inside should look dark with carbon dust w/o grooves when fully break in.

But Serpent alu bell is easy to get scratch (grooves) inside, you can find some alu powder on the shoe surface, which cause the groove on the bell!!!! So clean up anytime to avoid the alu powder when you service the clutch or even newly assemble the clutch

I use it on 45 min final w/o any problem, although there some grooves inside the bell. If those grooves are too deep, the clutch will bog cause bell surface area is increased by the grooves.
To be honest, I used the Alu clutch once, it didn't make me finish a final, so that was it for me. Maybe it also has to do with the fact that the Serpent bell is not coated? I don't know if the mugen bell is. I also tried a JP Alu bell, same problem....
Old 06-30-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by M7H
Are you sure?....
Shortening the RCM shocks of the 977 will certainly lower the ride height, but only if you make the shock to short, it will then take over the function of the down stop (droop) setting.

With L27 rear springs harder then Red, lower ride heights then 9-10mm with 75+ mm tyres is a challenge.
But because the car has the same shocks used in the front and the rear, the short L23 springs will work also in the rear, and I suggest to try that.

To be honest, I used the Alu clutch once, it didn't make me finish a final, so that was it for me. Maybe it also has to do with the fact that the Serpent bell is not coated? I don't know if the mugen bell is. I also tried a JP Alu bell, same problem....
For the ride height issue, the short springs obviously work, but would anyone know whether the same color L27s have the same damping/force characteristics as the L23s? For example, does a blue L27 have the same force as a blue L23?
Any drawbacks to using L23s in the rear?
Old 06-30-2014, 11:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cosmokitten
For the ride height issue, the short springs obviously work, but would anyone know whether the same color L27s have the same damping/force characteristics as the L23s? For example, does a blue L27 have the same force as a blue L23?
Any drawbacks to using L23s in the rear?
Both springs have the same rate 5.8/33 but my concern would be upward travel limit (spring becoming over compressed) when using big tyres.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Both springs have the same rate 5.8/33 but my concern would be upward travel limit (spring becoming over compressed) when using big tyres.
With my rear ride height issue I have for now used the (front)shorter ball joints which initially I didn't think had worked but with adjustment have and they are allowing full suspension travel. The only issue is that they sit with the spring seat quite close to the bodymount upright. 6 turns out of the shock adjuster nut gives approx. 8mm ride height on 73mm tyres.

I'm not sure whether to stick with this or use the shorter 23mm springs ? Once ive purchased some 23mm springs I will do some back to back testing and see what works the best on track.

Ran the car for some tests today on track and loved it ! First run of an 1/8 since giving up my 966 some 14 months ago and although my 977 probably isn't dialled in properly yet and the track was dusty with very little grip this 977 viper is so driveable and forgiving and felt as good if not better than a well setup 966. Driven smooth it is deceptively fast and then for curiosity I drove it with a lot of throttle abuse and it took a lot to unsettle it and even when I made the rear breakaway it was still controllable. What a car This is going to be fun coming back to racing with this.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

With my rear ride height issue I have for now used the (front)shorter ball joints which initially I didn't think had worked but with adjustment have and they are allowing full suspension travel. The only issue is that they sit with the spring seat quite close to the bodymount upright. 6 turns out of the shock adjuster nut gives approx. 8mm ride height on 73mm tyres.

I'm not sure whether to stick with this or use the shorter 23mm springs ? Once ive purchased some 23mm springs I will do some back to back testing and see what works the best on track.

Ran the car for some tests today on track and loved it ! First run of an 1/8 since giving up my 966 some 14 months ago and although my 977 probably isn't dialled in properly yet and the track was dusty with very little grip this 977 viper is so driveable and forgiving and felt as good if not better than a well setup 966. Driven smooth it is deceptively fast and then for curiosity I drove it with a lot of throttle abuse and it took a lot to unsettle it and even when I made the rear breakaway it was still controllable. What a car This is going to be fun coming back to racing with this.
One question. What height are you looking to set your car at?
Old 06-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan
One question. What height are you looking to set your car at?
approx. 9mm
Old 06-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I have my car at 9mm with 76 mm rear tires and all stock rear end parts.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

+1
Old 06-30-2014, 10:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Nice to know about the Serpent,i checked your submitted link well to see its homepage and their cars and all the other matters.Racing events are also awesome and off road races are best.I like it so much,thanks for your sharing.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:54 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

If your suspension travel will be that much, what happens then near the end of a main final, with a low ride height? The chassis will be constantly bottoming out then, or not?

But just take a look at your car now, and push the rear to the ground, you will see, the shocks don't have that much travel, because of the angle they are mounted under....

I drive short L23 springs in the rear, and didn't notice anything different.
But even if a shorter spring would be a little bit harder, do you really believe this is a problem? It's not that a rear red short spring, will have the same tension as a long pink spring!....
Old 07-01-2014, 02:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M7H

If your suspension travel will be that much, what happens then near the end of a main final, with a low ride height? The chassis will be constantly bottoming out then, or not?

But just take a look at your car now, and push the rear to the ground, you will see, the shocks don't have that much travel, because of the angle they are mounted under....

I drive short L23 springs in the rear, and didn't notice anything different.
But even if a shorter spring would be a little bit harder, do you really believe this is a problem? It's not that a rear red short spring, will have the same tension as a long pink spring!....
Fair enough. It was just what was in my mind at the time !
Old 07-01-2014, 02:42 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Fair enough. It was just what was in my mind at the time !

I know, but sometimes people make assumptions, and other take them for granted.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

any results from the back-to-back testing? Which is preferred, using the shorter ball joints in the rear or using the shorter springs?
Awaiting what you've learnt...
Old 07-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Just got myself a used 977 and setting it up. At the rear downstops are set to 8mm and I have 10mm ride height with 73mm rear tyre diameter. But cannot adjust the ride height any lower as the shock adjusting nut is already fully unwound up to the cap with the standard long rear springs. Is this normal ?
The only way I can see of obtaining a lower ride height adjustment is to fit shorter springs to the rear ?
If you can get a shallower spring cup(Kyosho) it can achieve 6mm ride height on 74mm tyres with long spring and ball joint.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.