Search
Like Tree14Likes

Serpent 977 Viper

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cosmokitten
Anybody have any advice of preferred amount of shock rebound for US tracks?

Thanks!
I personally don't build my shocks with rebound. I find it pretty difficult to get equal rebound in my shocks, plus the car feels smoother and more predictable without it. *just my personal opinion*
Old 05-03-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Originally Posted by Thunderbunny
I personally don't build my shocks with rebound. I find it pretty difficult to get equal rebound in my shocks, plus the car feels smoother and more predictable without it. *just my personal opinion*
+1, yes I am on this thread for a reason!
Old 05-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paulie Bee
Stock Cone no shimming everything aligns perfectly. Make sure you hold out the crank shaft while sliding the cone down onto the race of the front bearing. There should be no play once you tighten-down the flywheel.
Thanks Paulie!

Can you confirm whether using the Novarossi cone will work with the serpent flywheel? My kit didn't have the cone. Just wondering whether I need to place an order.

Regards,
Old 05-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Do you guys drill holes on the shock caps to make it easier to achieve no rebound?

If not, was is your preferred method?

Thanks again!
Old 05-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks Paulie!

Can you confirm whether using the Novarossi cone will work with the serpent flywheel? My kit didn't have the cone. Just wondering whether I need to place an order.

Regards,
You originally asked about shimming behind the cone for the Virtus. I am suggesting to use the stock Novarossi cone that comes with the Virtus motor.
Old 05-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MantisWorx
+1, yes I am on this thread for a reason!
Lol! I see you!

Do you guys drill holes on the shock caps to make it easier to achieve no rebound?

If not, was is your preferred method?

Thanks again!
Yes, I have a set are drilled and not drilled. I use the drilled set 99% of the time.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paulie Bee
You originally asked about shimming behind the cone for the Virtus. I am suggesting to use the stock Novarossi cone that comes with the Virtus motor.
Perfect Thanks again Paulie!

Everything installed quite nice, however I wouldn't mind knowing what everyone's is using for shimming for the clutch gap and for end play. I am striving for 0.5 to 0.6mm clutch gap and approx 0.05 to 0.1mm end play, but depending on the methods that I use for measuring, I get different results, thus I have added 0.5mm in front of the thrust bearing to set proper clutch gap and 0.3mm behind the large bearing to set end play.

Does this sound about right for the vir-tus?

Appreciate!!
Old 05-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lol! I see you!

Yes, I have a set are drilled and not drilled. I use the drilled set 99% of the time.
Cool, thanks. I'd better start drilling then!!
Old 05-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Everything installed quite nice, however I wouldn't mind knowing what everyone's is using for shimming for the clutch gap and for end play. I am striving for 0.5 to 0.6mm clutch gap and approx 0.05 to 0.1mm end play, but depending on the methods that I use for measuring, I get different results, thus I have added 0.5mm in front of the thrust bearing to set proper clutch gap and 0.3mm behind the large bearing to set end play.

Appreciate!!
Yup. Sounds ok to me. Make a few measurements around the end bell without the inner bearing and take an average. Aim for 0.6mm as an initial setting. Don't worry too much about the inner shims just set it so you have a small amount of end float and that the bell doesn't drag on the shoe when pushed towards the shoe.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Tech Apprentice

Lol! I see you!

I typically drill the holes on the plastic shock cap, but I just noticed that there are pre-tapped holes on the aluminum shock nut. Are these pre-tapped holes meant for keeping the shock cavity at ambient pressure? It would seem to be that doesn't vent the cavity...

Appreciate!!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

The holes in the aluminum part of the shock cap are there to allow the shock oil to bleed out as you screw it together. You want to drill a small hole in the plastic part of the shock cap only.

Appreciate!!
Get your hands on one of these. It makes life much easier.
Mugen Clutch Spacing Thickness Gauge
Old 05-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

977WC!!
about halfway done

There seems to be quite a few differences between this kit and the normal version. I had some issues with the servo saver assembly, no matter what you do it would bind up with the provided hat spacer and you cannot tighten the 4mm flathead with any tension or it binds. the steering post is really short and barely goes into the upper bearing so when you put the provided spacer in it squeezes the bearings together.
The instructions say to use 4 shims behind the front hubs and 1 in front but when you do this the wheels will not lock in to place so I am going to have to play with the shims. Very nice kit assembly is good as is the quality of parts. My only gripe is the damn snap rings, going to have to go buy some snap ring pliers tomorrow!Shakedown run on wednseday.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:40 AM
Tech Elite

You'll love the car. It's awesome!

The heads look a little big on those chassis 4mm screws as the are sitting proud. Those screws should carry on down below the surface of the chassis and into a counterbore as per the stock steel screws. It'll be an issue trying to set up the car without the chassis bottom being totally flat.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:12 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by dan_vector
You'll love the car. It's awesome!

The heads look a little big on those chassis 4mm screws as the are sitting proud. Those screws should carry on down below the surface of the chassis and into a counterbore as per the stock steel screws. It'll be an issue trying to set up the car without the chassis bottom being totally flat.

I noticed that too which is why i switched to the aluminum screws thinking that maybe the kit screws were not to spec but its the same. When rebuild time comes up I will countersink them deeper on my mill. Its only the ones towards the rear of the chassis, front ones are fine???

Last edited by MantisWorx; 05-06-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 977 WC weight

Just weighed my machine.

Ready to race, without body stiffeners and normal weight wheels and body and srg servos, weighing in at 2620g, yikes, heavy!

I an running all alu pulleys. I've seen others on this thread weighing in at approx 2460g. Can light weight wheels and body account for this large difference in weight?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.