R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree12Likes

Old 05-31-2015, 05:04 AM   #826
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
But without the ends of the body mount you loose the downforce created by the "fender" area of the body. Thats why the body mount has the plastic screws at the ends. You can use the stiffener and the un cut body mount. Ive seen it done, by a team driver as well
Point taken. I will order a new rear body mount...I did find it unusual that it was cut down on each end.

On my motonica, I've got the body stiffener mounted to the shell - is it better to mount the stiffener to the body mount OR the shell?
Marko R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #827
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

http://teamserpent.com/blog/2015/06/...viper-977-evo/

Couple photos of the EVO. You can clearly see the redesigned radio plate (flex moved to rear) and new body mount etc.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #828
Tech Fanatic

Default 977 EVO

Well guys, the cat is out of the bag. There is a new version of the 977 coming out soon (we have being told that the release should be by late June)

This new version have being tested by different drivers since February. Here in the States, we have run the car since the Winternats (I did not race the car, i run it in different practice sessions). The car is an evolution of the 977 WC, with focus on the new rules that are adopted by different countries in regards of running control tires. Of course, in USA we don't have this rules and normally we have overall more traction, so we needed to make sure that the car also works here. We have tested a few versions of the chassis, many different radio plates and we have found a good compromise.
The front of the chassis is narrow and allow you to run longer lower arms of you like to. The manual explains what you need to do if you like to use this option.
The radio tray now is one piece and feature a flex system in middle part of the car. To adjust the flex is super easy, just use the same inserts or bearing system that is used now in the current radio tray depending if you want to run lock or flex adjustment.
Beside this, Serpent has incorporated a new version of the 2 speed. This one features, smaller diameter of the rotating mass, lighter components and 0.8 module. The overall result is faster acceleration. I have ran the prototypes version for more than 4 gallons without any failures.

Also new is the front and rear bumper. The front bumper has the ability to run the holes open or closed by just removing or installing a plastic insert. The rear body mount is a lot stronger and the body mount arms have a round shape to avoid any rub of the wheels.

The new components are:
Chassis
Radio Tray
Bumper
2 Speed (new gears and pinions)
Rear Body mount
Rear Body mount arms

As of right now i am not sure what will be in the kit, but i was told that it will come with the normal plastic arms and the #2 rear sway bar.

I will debut the car at the Byron Race. You are welcome to come and check it out.

We will have more official news in the Serpent.com website. Stay tuned!
Old 06-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #829
Tech Elite

Thanks for the inside scoop Poalo!! Looking forward to seeing the details in the official release of the car.
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #830
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Dang I just bought a new WC LOL
Old 06-12-2015, 02:03 PM   #831
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gearhead_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
don't worry it still on top of the A main car.
Juwan Hunter
gearhead_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 02:32 PM   #832
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_22 View Post
don't worry it still on top of the A main car.
Me too snuvet75 I just bought a Viper W/C also. Although I got it at a great price so not too bothered. I'm new to 1/8th Foam either way.

Regards
BM
Old 06-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #833
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by British Menace View Post
Me too snuvet75 I just bought a Viper W/C also. Although I got it at a great price so not too bothered. I'm new to 1/8th Foam either way.

Regards
BM
Guys, the current car is awesome. It is one of the best cars in the market. I have TQ'ed every single National US Championship since i have the car.
It is hard for a factory please all the customers. If you change the product often some people complain; if you never changer then you have an old car...

This new car is just an evolution of the new one. all the parts are the same. The transmission, in my opinion is the biggest advantage. The other changes give you different chassis tuning options.

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with a 977.. it doesn't matter what version

Enjoy your Serpent and most important, have fun at the track!
Old 06-13-2015, 01:20 AM   #834
Tech Apprentice

stupid question.
Will the transmission be interchangeable with the current 977?
burty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:46 AM   #835
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo M View Post
Guys, the current car is awesome. It is one of the best cars in the market. I have TQ'ed every single National US Championship since i have the car.
It is hard for a factory please all the customers. If you change the product often some people complain; if you never changer then you have an old car...

This new car is just an evolution of the new one. all the parts are the same. The transmission, in my opinion is the biggest advantage. The other changes give you different chassis tuning options.

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with a 977.. it doesn't matter what version

Enjoy your Serpent and most important, have fun at the track!
Totally agree Paolo. Whats more the new evo parts will fit the 977 and 977WC so easy update path! As you said the evo changes are aimed at the euro market with lower general grip levels and control tyres so the 977WC maybe just as good as the evo in the US anyway.

Personally I'll be looking to upgrade my WC to evo rather than buying a whole new car as both my wc's are relatively new.
Old 06-13-2015, 02:47 AM   #836
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by burty View Post
stupid question.
Will the transmission be interchangeable with the current 977?
I'm sure it will. You'll just need to change the pinions to the 0.8 mod gears to match the new gearbox.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:25 AM   #837
Tech Apprentice

Rant- (prob belongs in another thread but not sure where)

Hmmm, A chassis to suit regional rules.

The control tyre route is resulting in many unintended consequences and it is time that the gas on-road fraternity start behaving like adults and accept reality.

We keep hearing about the fantasy of a "level playing field"

It is not as though everyone has access to the same engine as the team drivers, or the prototype parts, or the special
materials used in custom chassis/plastic etc. which are optimised for the event.

Nor does everyone have the setup knowledge, skills, or special bits to adapt a car to run on a fixed set of tyres with no cone(hence almost no camber)

No, they will not wear a 2.5 degree cone during the warm up unless the tyre wear is horrendous..and driving a skittish car fast enough to cause tyres to wear is no mean feat.

What is easier than slapping on a set of harder rears for more steering or a bit more goop on the front etc.

Easier and more practical than pulling out another chassis that is optimised for the heat of the day.

Then we keep asking what we need to do to grow the sport/hobby- really?

One only has to read the current race reports from the ENS (REDRC) to see what a farce it is becoming.

Rules that cause the top tuners in the world to scratch their heads are surely not going to help encourage newbies and amateurs.

Nor can everyone afford 3 or more chassis with optimised design and setup for different times of the day when conditions change.

What is the logic of stopping with tyres? Why not engines, clutches, bodies, radio ?
All these thing can give you an edge.

Why not just make it a one-make class? (all with the same settings)

The surest way to stop cheating is to legalise the additives.
At least they are affordable and available to everyone, unlike the engines and other bits.

Just like learning to set a clutch or tune a motor, we will need to learn to understand our goop of choice.
Or we can ask for help.
However, even if you ask nicely you are unlikely to get a team engine.

The electric fraternity have much more complex classes and circumstances than gas and have run with goop-
on rubber, foam, carpet, indoor, outdoor, onroad and offroad very nicely.

And they all have much higher numbers of competitiors than us!

A clue perhaps?
JTeamtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:42 AM   #838
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeamtech View Post
Rant- (prob belongs in another thread but not sure where)

Hmmm, A chassis to suit regional rules.

The control tyre route is resulting in many unintended consequences and it is time that the gas on-road fraternity start behaving like adults and accept reality.

We keep hearing about the fantasy of a "level playing field"

It is not as though everyone has access to the same engine as the team drivers, or the prototype parts, or the special
materials used in custom chassis/plastic etc. which are optimised for the event.

Nor does everyone have the setup knowledge, skills, or special bits to adapt a car to run on a fixed set of tyres with no cone(hence almost no camber)

No, they will not wear a 2.5 degree cone during the warm up unless the tyre wear is horrendous..and driving a skittish car fast enough to cause tyres to wear is no mean feat.

What is easier than slapping on a set of harder rears for more steering or a bit more goop on the front etc.

Easier and more practical than pulling out another chassis that is optimised for the heat of the day.

Then we keep asking what we need to do to grow the sport/hobby- really?

One only has to read the current race reports from the ENS (REDRC) to see what a farce it is becoming.

Rules that cause the top tuners in the world to scratch their heads are surely not going to help encourage newbies and amateurs.

Nor can everyone afford 3 or more chassis with optimised design and setup for different times of the day when conditions change.

What is the logic of stopping with tyres? Why not engines, clutches, bodies, radio ?
All these thing can give you an edge.

Why not just make it a one-make class? (all with the same settings)

The surest way to stop cheating is to legalise the additives.
At least they are affordable and available to everyone, unlike the engines and other bits.

Just like learning to set a clutch or tune a motor, we will need to learn to understand our goop of choice.
Or we can ask for help.
However, even if you ask nicely you are unlikely to get a team engine.

The electric fraternity have much more complex classes and circumstances than gas and have run with goop-
on rubber, foam, carpet, indoor, outdoor, onroad and offroad very nicely.

And they all have much higher numbers of competitiors than us!

A clue perhaps?
The control tyre is very simple. To prevent the uncontrolled use of tyre additive. The control tyres come pre-trued with the cone at the right size. Not 'straight out the box'. It helps prevent cheating which was rife and many additives were not easily detectable.

Additives were legalised but then the application process on foam tyres got ridiculous with vacuum application and all manner of things which just put costs through the roof. The control tyre process is so much better and you need to run a meeting when this practice is used (and properly employed) to fully understand the benefits.

Do you have any other solution to that particular problem? Nothing else needs to be controlled at that level and the ENS, ETS, EOS etc series are extremely successful and amazing events to participate in. I have been fortunate enough to participate in some of them.

ETS and electric touring car are all control tyre. Have been for several years. ETS even has a control additive too. I am fairly confident that the major reason why nitro is not more popular is simply down to some people not liking the extra complexities, noise, smell etc and electric being (on the whole) easier to maintain (a lot of tracks also banned nitro due to noise - especially in Europe). I am one of the diehard few nitro racers left but I also race a lot of electric and can understand the benefits.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:22 AM   #839
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (98%+)

Im sure as in the past there will be an upgrade kit offered to transform your current 977 (WC or non WC).
1/8 IC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 07:33 AM   #840
Tech Apprentice

The control tyres come pre-trued with the cone at the right size.

The right size for who and to suit whose driving style?
Clearly not the right size for most of the drivers at the ENS now who are battling for grip, balance and consistency.

Additives were legalised but then the application process on foam tyres got ridiculous with vacuum application and all manner of things which just put
costs through the roof.

Just like a $800 dollar engine, the applicator gimmicks were optional and not really required- even a cheap bait pump would do the same job if you thought you needed it.

Nothing else needs to be controlled at that level

Based on what- your opinion?

ETS and electric touring car are all control tyre.

We need to remove the rubber tyres from the discussion as the camber and cone are not as relevant.

ETS even has a control additive too.

How is it policed?

The success or otherwise is not determined by the couple of elitist events that are the playground of the teams but rather by the entries at club, regional and national events.

Right now there is someone having their backside handed to them in a controlled tyre event (level playing field) by a driver with an inside track to prototype chassis (Prob Serpent but who knows what the others have up their sleeve for the worlds)

We can all be puritanical and delusional that we are somehow the formula 1 of RC and that regulating one item will level the playing field, but then we must also be happy with small entries like F1.
JTeamtech is offline   Reply With Quote