R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree12Likes

Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 AM   #571
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to gearhead_22

My first run with my WC and all I can say Is what a car. At my local track, blue diamond in New Castle DE. I came in at third place and the car handled perfect. A little more track time and I will be stopping to the top spot.
Juwan Hunter
gearhead_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 08:15 AM   #572
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Post race tire wear:
I have no idea why the rear right wore more than the left, track has a huge right handed high speed sweeper

Front was perfect:

not as pretty as it was when i got there!!

Once i go over the car i will explain how the weekend went, it was interesting
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:02 PM   #573
Tech Apprentice

gents, I have a fairly wobbly clutch bell on my 966. I have new bearings so I think the where the bearings sit in the bell itself is worn but that doesnt make a lot of sense to me. I have a few old bells and most seem to have more or less play, esp in the small bearing end. Is this a common problem or maybe there is a funny sized bearing that I need? How much wobble is still OK to drive with?

thanks
Fly'n Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:43 AM   #574
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly'n Fish View Post
gents, I have a fairly wobbly clutch bell on my 966. I have new bearings so I think the where the bearings sit in the bell itself is worn but that doesnt make a lot of sense to me. I have a few old bells and most seem to have more or less play, esp in the small bearing end. Is this a common problem or maybe there is a funny sized bearing that I need? How much wobble is still OK to drive with?

thanks
You shouldn't have very much wobble to be honest. Did you have a bearing seaze in there before as that can cause the clutch bell to wear. Are you using the Alu bell or steel bell?
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Sanwa, Ielasi Tuned Novarossi Racing Engines, Tekin, Hobbywing, Muchmore.
dan_vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 04:44 AM   #575
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
Post race tire wear:
I have no idea why the rear right wore more than the left, track has a huge right handed high speed sweeper

Front was perfect:

not as pretty as it was when i got there!!

Once i go over the car i will explain how the weekend went, it was interesting
Don't worry too much it's normal for the right to wear more than the left when you've got such a high speed right hander...
Serpent Viper 977e EVO2, Serpent Viper 988 GP, Serpent Project 4x, Serpent 811T-TE Truggy, Serpent 811e 2.1, Serpent SRX2-MH, Serpent SRX-2 RM, Serpent SRX-4, Serpent F110-SF2, Serpent F180, Serpent 748 Natrix WC, Serpent Cobra GT 3.1, Serpent SRX8, Serpent S811 2.2, Baja 5B Flux, Atomic AMZ 1/27th, Schumacher GT12 SS.
Old 06-01-2014, 04:47 AM   #576
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead_22 View Post
My first run with my WC and all I can say Is what a car. At my local track, blue diamond in New Castle DE. I came in at third place and the car handled perfect. A little more track time and I will be stopping to the top spot.
Great job!! That's one of the things I like the most about Serpent products is that they just go well right out of the box without having to spend loads on option parts and different setups etc. They have great starting point to work from!
Old 06-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #577
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Don't worry too much it's normal for the right to wear more than the left when you've got such a high speed right hander...
but it's a right sweeper-left should be more worn unless there are some sick left turns elsewhere on the track
Old 06-01-2014, 09:57 AM   #578
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanks596 View Post
but it's a right sweeper-left should be more worn unless there are some sick left turns elsewhere on the track
Haha. Very true, it's been a long week lol!! Let's ask another question. What was the difference in wear L/R? How is the rest of the track? My point still remains though that it's not unusual for the tyres to wear uneven L/R depending on the track layout and rotation direction.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:59 PM   #579
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 977 full podium at Manufacturers Challenge Port Jervis

Congratulations to our teammates for the all 977 Viper podium success

Vince Jackson: 1st
Irvin Cole: 2nd
Richard Siriano: 3rd
PT RC Racing Oils
Paulie Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:42 AM   #580
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Haha. Very true, it's been a long week lol!! Let's ask another question. What was the difference in wear L/R? How is the rest of the track? My point still remains though that it's not unusual for the tyres to wear uneven L/R depending on the track layout and rotation direction.
Swapping the tyres regularly will have them wearing evenly. I have noticed setups with different l/r chamber. I think this is a function of tyre wear too, that is if you get to much of a tapered tyre wear then you add a bit less chamber to that side. Can anyone confirm that this is how to set chamber on a 1/8?

thanks
Old 06-02-2014, 01:45 AM   #581
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
You shouldn't have very much wobble to be honest. Did you have a bearing seaze in there before as that can cause the clutch bell to wear. Are you using the Alu bell or steel bell?
Using a steel bell. No seized bearings as far as I can tell. I think if you somehow seized the bearing it would make such a racket and your car would be creeping like mad, I dont think anyone (ie the previous owner) could have missed it but you never know. Anyone have a brand new bell just fitted that can report on 'wobble'?? thank you
Old 06-02-2014, 01:49 AM   #582
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Maybe the car isnt set-up properly, ie major tweak??
Old 06-02-2014, 05:45 AM   #583
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly'n Fish View Post
Maybe the car isnt set-up properly, ie major tweak??
But surely that would manifest in a car that was extremely difficult to drive? However Mantisworx mentioned that the car was good and he finished well placed so I doubt he had major chassis tweek or other setup issue?
Old 06-02-2014, 07:15 AM   #584
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
But surely that would manifest in a car that was extremely difficult to drive? However Mantisworx mentioned that the car was good and he finished well placed so I doubt he had major chassis tweek or other setup issue?
Exactly!! car was a dream to drive, scaled to perfection, never wrecked and brand new! front tires wore almost perfectly flat and if you look closely at the rear pic the LR tire is actually larger/coned and the RR tire which is close to flat. The track had a sharp right turn entry into a large top speed gradual sweeper, into a sharp 180. It had a slight high speed push into the last 180 which didnt bother me and actually made it easier to go into it without having to use brakes. I am not familiar with this class or its tendencies and I am definately not complainig , just wondering if this is something typical or not. It was my first time racing this car and the class and brother I am HOOKED!!!

On a side note looking at the other cars post race their rear tires were coned pretty bad but i was faster so maybe i got something right

It was a 45min main and i did not change or rotate tires during the race, i also cut the tires down to 75/68 before the race. And ran 1 set of tires through all qualifiers and practice on saturday!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #585
Tech Regular

Marcus,

Its been a while, but I was experiencing the same type of tire wear when I was running the 966 at RCRCNT. I think I played with the length and mounting location of the rear upper suspension link and got the tires to do the accepted cone on both tires. I have to admit though, your car looked plenty "acceptable" to me during the main regardless of how the rear tires looked at the end.

Steve McLaughlin
www.motorists.org
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote