R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Women In Need Of Help

Hello everone,
This is my first post here i am a single women of 34 years old and have a son who has had a remote control car given to him it was going fine when we were on holiday but after the holiday i put some fuel in the car but it looks like it is not priming my finger is over the exhaust pipe while i use a drill to start the car but looking at the fuel pipe there seems to be no fuel getting pumped into the engine so i have taken off the fuel pipe blown down it also taken the valve that connects to the engine off and given it a clean but still i can not seem to get fuel running into the engine i have come here as you guys are the pro's and would love a little help on this issue,
Sorry to be a dumb blonde but my 5 year old is going crazy for his car back.
HELLPPPPP
EMMA X
SEXY_EMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Do you know what kind of car it is?

I'm sure somebody here will have some useful advice!
Old 04-09-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Hello again it is a SCHUMACHER XTR 21 i have run this with my son for about 1 week while on holiday i really think it is the fuel not getting to the engine i have checked the glow plug and this seems to be working fine but the engine is not pulling the fuel in???
Thanks Emma
Old 04-09-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SEXY_EMMA
Hello again it is a SCHUMACHER XTR 21 i have run this with my son for about 1 week while on holiday i really think it is the fuel not getting to the engine i have checked the glow plug and this seems to be working fine but the engine is not pulling the fuel in???
Thanks Emma
is the back pressure line attached from the tank to the exhaust pipe?
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
Regional Moderator

Maybe the drill rotation is wrong?
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
Tech Regular

can you take a picture of the chassis without the body on.
if this is a xtr21 it should have a three speed. if this is the case, i would not put this car in the hands of a five year old. if the car is running right it will do over 60mph.
most people that give away a nitro car is because it is usually worn out. what type of fuel did you put in. was it the same type the previous owner was using. did you know how to adjust the carb to get it running right. is the glow plug ok??
baih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

Hi again
Thanks for all your help the fuel is the right fuel the pipes are all connected and to be honest i think this is a little fast for my son but great fun for me lol and the engine is not worn as it is only a few months old the last owner was my boyfriend who bought this car now we have split and has given this car to my son i am going mad here as there doesnt seem to be any fuel running up pipe to engine. this is the only picture i have right now as my battery has died on my camera the car truck what ever people call it is the SCHUMACHER MENACE 21 I THINK

Last edited by SEXY_EMMA; 04-09-2005 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You can wear an engine out in a couple runs if it isn't tuned properly.

Try cutting a bit off each end of the fuel line. Make sure the lines are hooked up where they are supposed to go. Shouldn't be an issue if you never took it apart. But maybe your son pulled em off and stuck em back on. I've even plugged them in the wrong place before, it happens. Even if the glow plug lights it could be dead. Replace it. And the igniter batts or at least fully charge em if they are rechargeable.

If you ran it on vacation, was there a drastic temp/humidity differance? Did you tune the motor at all while away and running it? If so the settings could be so far outta whack now that you're home it won't start. Sometimes motors are finicky where the low end is at to start.

Your best bet is to take it to a hobby shop or track and see if someone will give you a hand. Generally you can find someone willing to do so easily. It's really difficult to give much help over the net.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 07:05 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

What i did notice while on my holiday on the last run the engine noise changed and the car went about 30% quicker does this make any sense
EMMA
Old 04-09-2005, 07:13 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Yes, it leaned out. Check the tank for air leaks, fuel line also, check to see if the back plate is loose, manifold loose, carb loose. Also possibly somehow the carb needles changed, unlikely but you never know. I always set my needles back to 2 1/2 out on the high speed, 1 1/2 out on the low speed needle on my motors if they are being stubborn. But thats small blocks. I've not done much tuning on big blocks. Don't touch the screw on the back side of the carb if it has one. Most likely an air leak though. The o-ring on the top of tanks can get worn too. But yours is most likely a leak in the fuel line, or the motor itself.

And also someone mentioned the line from the muffler to the tank. That line really does nothing but stabilize the fuel in the tank. Has no effect on the intake of the fuel. It will run without it even on, but I've seen them kinked off and stall the motor..
Old 04-09-2005, 07:19 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Hi you guys are great thanks for all this information but can i ask what does leaned out mean and in the morning i will change the battery both in car and remote control will this make a difference if they are slightly flat also could i of done any damage to the engine could this be the reason why this is not getting the fuel to the engine
Thanks again guys
i am off to bed now as it is 02.18am i will read all your replies in the morning.
Thanks again
EMMA XXX
Old 04-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Leaned out means it was getting more air and less fuel into the combustion chamber. That is what made it change sound and feel faster. The bad part about that is the engine is lubricated by the oil in the fuel. So leaning it out makes it faster, but can hurt the motor if to lean as it doesn't get enough oil. Tuning is hard for that reason, so if you're not racing run it rich (more fuel/oil) and the engine will last longer.

Have you tried to roll the flywheel over with your finger? It should come to a part where it is pretty hard to roll it any farther. If it is easy for a full revolution, then the motor is toasted.

Have you ever adjusted the little screws on the carburator? That's how you tune the motor and make it more lean or more rich. Turn the screw clockwise to lean, counter-clockwise to richen. The screw right in front where the throttle arm connects is the low speed needle. The screw that sticks up in the air where the fuel line connects is the high speed needle. You should always tune the high speed first, then the low speed, then adjust the idle.

Best suggestion is to ask a person at the hobbyshop if they can help you get it running. They will probably do it for free. Then ask them if he can give you a quick lesson in tuning. Just remeber what needles are what, for the most part. It really takes a couple years to get the hang of tuning properly in my opinion. Although if you're just messing around with it with your son, it shouldn't be much of an issue. Probably better off just to tune it so it feels almost sluggish. Better engine life, and less chance of crashing. Good luck.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:13 AM   #13
Tech Adept

sounds to me it is leaned out too much and from your description I would think prob is an airleak these are a pita and I dont know how mechanically adept you are but it will require pulling it apart and finding the leak and stopping it from leaking

all part of the hobby
wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:11 PM   #14
Tech Rookie

Hello again,
When you say leaned out i understand that point but when you say start pulling it apart what am i to pull apart and what am i to look for??? and also when the person said check the fly wheel what wheel is this and how do i do it do i have the car wheels off the ground.
EMMA
Old 04-10-2005, 04:49 PM   #15
Tech Regular

The flywheel is the big metal wheel attached to the front of your engine, right near the clutch. Spin the wheel with your fingers, it should reach a tight spot which is when your piston hits top dead center (when the piston is right at the top in the engine) if it doesn't have a tight spot your piston and sleve may be dead as the compression is not there to combust the fuel. As for air leaks check all around the carb and back plate you may need to seal these areas with a good quality silicone sealant.
pyrosian is offline   Reply With Quote