R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Is there a car faster than a nitro 4 tec by traxxas

So my freind has a nitro 4tec by traxxas and i want to know if that is that is the fastest on road car or if there is a faster one . I want a nitro car no electric.Thanks
Jezuz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezuz01 View Post
So my freind has a nitro 4tec by traxxas and i want to know if that is that is the fastest on road car or if there is a faster one . I want a nitro car no electric.Thanks
Depends if you want to go around corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFeUxcspbcE

These dont belong anywhere but on a racing circuit, they're too dangerous and too fast for the streets.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
Depends if you want to go around corners.
These dont belong anywhere but on a racing circuit, they're too dangerous and too fast for the streets.
Yes I agree with this, if you just want to do it on the streets as a recreational then the traxxas should be fine. If you want to be competitive then I suggest picking up a 1/10th scale to start. However it all costs a lot and can be overwhelming for starters.

Team ARC USA - Hobby Authority Distribution - TiTAN BLITZ - ActivRC
bcebwecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

These dont belong anywhere but on a racing circuit, they're too dangerous and too fast for the streets.[/QUOTE]

What cars are they using?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

those are 1/8th nitro cars. they run a chassis such as xray rx8, serpent 966 ect. powered by .21 onroad engines that make rediculous power. probably the fastest race cars you can get into. also rediculously expensive. if you were considering a traxxas these are definitely out of the budget ha.

but for just farting around, the traxxas is fine. nitro tc3 is fine due to parts availability. you might also consider larger scale cars like the Wr8 Nitro, DRX or other GT type cars. depends if you wanna actually have fun driving it or rip up and down the straight in a straight line a few times.

if i was buying a car to fart around with on the street, id prob get the WR8.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
how fast can you afford to go?

http://youtu.be/7Xzok4Dgo5Q
Old 12-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
Tech Regular

out of the box targeted at a beginner, yes its the fastest. there are plenty of cars that go faster, however they are race cars. speed isnt everything though, durability and handling are just as important. if your going to play around on the street or parking lots id lean towards a shaft driven car, the nitro tc3 is a great shaft driven car that can also be used to run at a track, the nitro rs4 3 is also another good choice. all are available ready to run and all will have parts support from just about any hobby shop.
Sharkey_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The Cen CT5 or the Shumacher Fusion .21 are both faster stock out of the box.
norco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Tech Rookie

Is the cen CTR 5.0 any good. I can pay about a grand.For a rc car.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #10
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Is the cen CTR 5.0 any good. I can pay about a grand.For a rc car.
It would be a lot easier if you tell us what you want to do with your model, where you want to run it and how long you expect it to last.

Here are a few things to consider.
  • Top speed is governed by gearing, so don't read everything stated in the specs
  • Acceleration gives one a sense of speed, this puts a lot of load on your components.
  • Transmission is the key, getting a lot of power through it to the ground is where things begin to fall apart.
  • You need a good clutch to handle the power.
  • The environment you run in is important. 4-7mm ride height on a street isnt enough and one small stone will launch your car into the air and it's going to break.
  • A lot of maintenance is required at these speeds, there's no such thing as a car you run, shelf and run again with little maintenace, that's why Electric cars are the most popular.
  • You can buy the fastest engine on the market and if you dont take car of it, it will fail.

I recommend a LIGHT 1:8 chassis, with quality bearings, servos, engine and pipe, most likely a GT car. There's more room to work on it and in larger scales components can and are a little more robust and will last longer. They can be configured for more suspension travel to clear the ground and have a two speed transmission to get you to the top speed.

You need to allocate some funds aside for tools, and but a car with HEX head screws rather than courser threads on philips head wood screws. This allows for regular maintenance without stripping bulkheads.

There are many guys here with lots of experience in the GT scene that can advise you in more detail as to which way to go.

I have a 1:10 V10 Sheperd + Novarossi 353 here that will smoke the competition in a car park, but its a race car and it would be bad advise to run it in a car park.

Also, please take into consideration then danger factor, even at 1:10, 1.7kg at 100Km per hour can and will do a lot of damage if you hit someone with it.

Please consider at which point you are in charge of a fast car that you can enjoy and when you are in control of a weapon!
blis is offline   Reply With Quote