R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Need help to find which model HPI RS4 I have. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/685622-need-help-find-model-hpi-rs4-i-have.html)

Mr.JayDeeM 12-10-2012 02:44 PM

Need help to find which model HPI RS4 I have.

Aye fellas,

I just got this HPI RS4 road car for free. I need help to see what model rs4 this is. It seem like an older rs4 with a .15fe engine along with the old style carb that has one needle setting. It's a shaft driven, not a belt driven style.

I looked on HPI upgrade exchange program. I was looking at one of their nitro engines. Which engine will work in this chassis? I need a short crank or long? Can I keep my parts from the .15fe engine to the new engine?

I'd like to build it as well. It'll be my 1st on road car.

bluer322 12-10-2012 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.JayDeeM (Post 11538790)
Aye fellas,

I just got this HPI RS4 road car for free. I need help to see what model rs4 this is. It seem like an older rs4 with a .15fe engine along with the old style carb that has one needle setting. It's a shaft driven, not a belt driven style.

I looked on HPI upgrade exchange program. I was looking at one of their nitro engines. Which engine will work in this chassis? I need a short crank or long? Can I keep my parts from the .15fe engine to the new engine?

I'd like to build it as well. It'll be my 1st on road car.

Can you post pic. :spidey:

Sharkey_t 12-10-2012 07:08 PM

without a pic its kind of hard, but here is what i know. if its a shaft driven car and has a 15fe with a purple cooling head, its likely a nitro rs4 3, an early version of it. if its shaft driven with 15fe and has a head with vertical fins its may be a super nitro rally.

hpi uses long shaft engines on every touring car i can think of. you will be able to keep the clutch, clutchbell and flywheel, and depending on what motor you get, the header and tuned pipe. depending on what motor you get you may need to get a set of engine mounts, hpi likes to build them into some motors. look around at other engines, the engine exchange isnt that great a deal, you can often get engines cheaper through a hobby shop or online without the exchange, even hpi engines.

Mr.JayDeeM 12-10-2012 07:34 PM

For some reason, Im not allowed to post any pictures. I just joined this forum today. I'm new. But not new to Rc's

Back to Hpi, it has the purple short cooling head and street tires. So, its a rs4 3 perhaps? How come the upgrade is not always good? I thought about getting their 3.0 .15/.18 engines they have listed for $65?

Sharkey_t 12-10-2012 09:19 PM

that would be an early nitro rs4 3.

i guess hpi smartened up, last time i looked at the engine exchange it would have cost me more to exchange than to buy a new motor at my lhs. just keep in mind you will have to pay for shipping, and that buying a new hpi g or t 3.0 is between $10 and $20 more than the exchange price.

Roelof 12-11-2012 04:10 AM

Has it a shaft over the middle or belts to drive the front and rear axles?

Mr.JayDeeM 12-11-2012 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkey_t (Post 11540602)
that would be an early nitro rs4 3.

i guess hpi smartened up, last time i looked at the engine exchange it would have cost me more to exchange than to buy a new motor at my lhs. just keep in mind you will have to pay for shipping, and that buying a new hpi g or t 3.0 is between $10 and $20 more than the exchange price.

So, which engine will work with my rs4 3 that is listed under the upgrade program?

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 11541236)
Has it a shaft over the middle or belts to drive the front and rear axles?

Shafts in the middle.

Roelof 12-11-2012 05:47 AM

Then it is the mentioned RS4-3 or later (basicly not much has chaged up until now than in major the engine and gearing.

Mr.JayDeeM 12-11-2012 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Roelof (Post 11541452)
Then it is the mentioned RS4-3 or later (basicly not much has chaged up until now than in major the engine and gearing.

So, I can run the new engine that is in the new rs4 such as the T3.0 or the G3.0? Which engine would be better?

Does anyone know if the older .15FE flywheel, and so forth is swappable for the new engine? Do I have a long crank or the short crank?

Mr.JayDeeM 12-11-2012 08:05 PM

After some research, hpi t3.0 is for on road and g3.0 is for off road. The stock, .15fe is .6hp while the new hpi direct fit t3.0 is 2.2hp. Holy Crap.... Spur gear might can't handle it... >:D

Sharkey_t 12-11-2012 09:15 PM

power numbers are greatly inflated. the t3.0 is actually around 1hp. its a decent sport motor.

Mr.JayDeeM 12-12-2012 05:57 AM

I just want to comfrim, is it a direct fit though?