R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-05-2002, 11:39 PM   #61
Tech Adept

A pipe with a lower will be better suited for hi-rpm running, ie. smaller pipe, shorter header or less gap. For low-end power it would be the opposite
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 11:56 PM   #62
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to ChrisF

I'll say it once and say it again: until you've tried the Associated GT pipe with a .12 onroad motor, you have no idea of what kind of power these motors have.

Without a doubt, it has the best balance of bottom and top of any pipe tested. The guys at the local tracks used to laugh, until we pulled on them off the corners and down the straights. It is also the recommended pipe on a certain other, often copied tuner's motor. Hee hee hee.
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 12:00 AM   #63
Tech Apprentice

Very funny ChrisF. I will have to test it out now.

Last edited by SmeltzRacing; 08-06-2002 at 12:03 AM.
SmeltzRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 03:54 AM   #64
rjl
Tech Fanatic

For use with the ROSSI R12 PIXI use the ROSSI 01201 pipe and header set! Gear down slightly with this motor as it loves revs but hates running hot! I've been running the engine for three or four months now and tuning one since the start of the year. Use a NOVA ROSSI C5-C6 plug and less than 20% nitro with .3mm head shim. If the motor comes with a plug be very careful, the motor likes to ingest plug elements.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:40 AM   #65
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisF
I'll say it once and say it again: until you've tried the Associated GT pipe with a .12 onroad motor, you have no idea of what kind of power these motors have.
The only problem with AE pipe is it isnt roar legal. It is an outlaw pipe. But I do agree if you are not looking to be roar legal that pipe is nasty. I use it on my GT-4 with a Collari 5port Turbo and it brings that thing to life big time.
BallPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:44 AM   #66
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BallPy
Smeltz,
Are you doing OS TR's?
Smeltz,
Just wondering if you do the OS's.
Old 08-06-2002, 07:45 AM   #67
Tech Adept

What makes the Associated pipe not roar legal? Seems I've been using one for years off-road and on and went thru tech with no problems. If it is not legal, then why is Associated shipping them with the GT for Roar off-road racing?
ronin8451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 07:57 AM   #68
Tech Addict

Which AE pipe are you talking about. The one were you have to push the pressure line in and it you have to use 4/40 rod and rap it around the pipe to hold it in place. Because if this is the one you are using unless they changed the inside of it, it is a straight thru pipe. There are no baffles in it witch makes it illegal in ROAR comp. Are you racing in ROAR races or local.
Old 08-06-2002, 08:54 AM   #69
Tech Adept

I just went to the ROAR site and read the rules and it says nothing about having a baffle. It does mention the decible levels and the outlet must be straight and at a 90deg. angle and no larger opening than 5.0mm and stinger length to be 15.0mm . Maybe it's the decible level that gets it, dunno, but I've never been dinged for it at any ROAR off-road event ( just went to one at Oklahoma a month ago). Every single RC10 GT there had one on it!!!!
ronin8451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 08:57 AM   #70
Tech Addict

Then I stand corrected. We learn something new everyday.
Old 08-06-2002, 09:04 AM   #71
Tech Addict

I just talked to Fred Hohwart at ROAR and he said that there was some contriversy over the stinger length. The issue was resolved at the Nats this year. So last year they may not have let you used it. It was the techs decision whether or not they let you use the pipe. And it looks like that just about every pipe on the market is just about legal. Damn I had being wrong.
Old 08-06-2002, 10:21 AM   #72
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by rjl
Guys please don't start moding an R12 rossi until you have got the thing under control. Use the ROSSI pipe with this engine, the thing works. There is a small carb problem with the Rossi, fix the carb and you will have little need for any more fiddling!
I have been very happy with the performance of the engine.
rjl-

Thanks for your reply. What problem have you encountered with the Rossi Pixi-Black carburetor? What did you have to do to correct this problem? Has anyone else noticed this problem with the Rossi Pixi-Black carburetor? What manufacturer makes the "Rossi" pipe? Are you referring to the NovaRossi pipes, or just Rossi? What model and part # Rossi pipe and header do you use?

About the Associated GT pipe, how do you guys get this pipe to fit on a touring car? I race a Reflex NT, and it seems to me it would be very difficult to have it mounted on the chassis. The Team Losi Adam Drake tuned pipe seems it will fit better on a touring car chassis (due to the wire mount). How does the Losi Adam Drake pipe compare to the Associated GT pipe when used in touring car applications? It to has a more gradually angled divergent cone and a shorter belly section, which will produce more top-end power, which is what I want. What do you guys think of the Losi Adam Drake tuned pipe? Does anyone use the Losi Adam Drake tuned pipe with the Rossi Pixi-Black engine?

This is alot of questions. What an exhausting subject! LOL. Thanks in advance!!
racer rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 05:27 PM   #73
Tech Apprentice

Last edited by SmeltzRacing; 03-12-2003 at 12:44 PM.
SmeltzRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 05:41 PM   #74
rjl
Tech Fanatic

I am not sure how the PIXI black comes in your country, if it's the same as we get them then the carb is over size and it will use conical plugs. We are using the 5.5mm carb on them here. I have no intention of posting the carb fix on the net, it's enough for me to say that insuficient fuel is delivered during hard accelleration. Most will just think the engine lacks bottom end power, the ROSSI in fact is the equal of any motor on the market in this area.
USE THE ROSSI 01201 pipe set for the R12.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 09:18 PM   #75
Regional Moderator

Thanks for your reply rjl. What is the Rossi 01201 pipe set? I looked on Novarossi's site and they have no such thing.

While looking on Novarossi's site I saw this tuned pipe:

Here is Novarrossi's desription of the pipe: "High speed pipe developed for track use. With this exhaust the RPM range and top speed limit increase giving faster speed in the straights."

This is exactly what I am looking for. Like I stated before, I need a pipe that is designed for top-end in mind. What do you guys think of this tuned pipe for use with the Rossi Pixi-Black engine?

Also, I have a question about the Novarossi manifolds. I am kind of confused on which one in for touring car applications. At Novarossi's site under the 2.1cc manifold section, they list this rear exhaust manifold:

Here is Novarrossi's description of this manifold:
"Suitable for touring and track with rear exhaust engine."

Under the 2.5cc manifold section, they list this rear exhaust manifold:

Here is Novarossi's description of this manifold: "Suitable for on road 1/10 cars, standard rubber fixing."

I am kind of confused which one to use with the 51603 pipe. The pipe and manifold will be going in a Reflex NT. I think the art. 40602 manifold is the one I need since it was under the 2.1cc category and it states "touring" in the description. Is this the manifold to use with the 51603 pipe? I just want to make sure first. They look so much a like.

Also, this may sound foolish, but is there any performance advantages and differences between a "polished" pipe and manifold (like manifolds pictured above) or a "black" pipe (like 51603 pipe pictured above) and manifold? Is it just for looks, or is there any performance gains or losses?

Thanks again!

Last edited by racer rich; 08-07-2002 at 12:41 AM.
racer rich is offline   Reply With Quote