R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-13-2003, 12:54 PM   #286
RC
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Dear sirs, Please continue copycating and stealing their work, all the last posts from Dennis and Smeltz are for you (d*mb*sses) they provided to yours and your dirty and greasy hands some new ideas. Ever is easier copying than innovating.
Corse-R: What innovations are you currently working on? You are very upset at this loss of information, aren't we all in the same boat trying to get our greasy hands on some new info to apply to our engines?
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 01:59 PM   #287
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by RC
Corse-R: What innovations are you currently working on? You are very upset at this loss of information, aren't we all in the same boat trying to get our greasy hands on some new info to apply to our engines?
Like many people that are upset by this. I make some modifications on my engines, but basically are based on crank intake timing and exhaust timing.

Had my own teories about grinding scoops on sleeves and other internal parts, but seems that should I need to find the answer by myself.

Next paragraphs is my own theory, don't fear about sharing ideas I'm not famous as Dennis but working for myself on modding my own engines (only time that I've broke this rule was for modifying an engine for a buddy, but when asked how it cost and said 0, zero, tout, cero, nada it shocked - don't wan't to do money with this). Probably if Dennis is here and reads an answer about this could help.

Engines are like pumps, they rely on the vacuum and internal pressure created by the reciprocating movement of the piston to push the mixture to the combustion chamber, so if you start doing cuts on the sleeve and other parts, you're enlarging the total capacity of the engine and thus reducing internal pressure on it.

Sharp edges aren't quite good (block and put a barrier on the flow of the internal engine), then only reduce the sharpness of the live edges on intake transfers and on the lower portion of the liner, on my liners you won't find grooves, rails or other complicated millings).

I realized that much of the improvements rely on the intake window of the crank and on the exhaust transfer, figured it, degreed some engines (dennis gave a hint on the RCCA article that mentioned it) 12's, 15's and 21's and tested some timings. My results probably shouldn't be quite spectacular, but are the fruit of my thinking and my own experimenting - some of my engines have more time disassembled and on the degree bench than installed on the cars and spent more than 600US$ since the end of the last season here on cranks and piston/liners, product of some failed and some right experiments.

If I say that I didn't saw Dennis, Smeltz, Rody, JP, M-Speed, Next and other good tuners photos should be a moron and a liar (which I'm proud of not being). Got some ideas seeing their photos but discarded many of them (much of them was with shiny mirror finished parts), tested some and plan to test some on near future. Satin finished parts on my opinion are better than those shiny finished parts

Here on this post there's a photo of a slightly grinded conrod that I plan to test this weekend, conrod weights a little less than a stock, but I'm searching a way to reduce rotating weight.

Have quite ideas, but don't fear sharing with all the other people like (here are some) probably much people don't feel interesting because aren't shiny or doesn't have claw marks:

* Grounding and decking the plug button. Lowers the plug and maintains the compression ratio.
* Polishing the area on the head that touches with the plug button (better heat transfer).
* Polishing up to a shiny finish the exhaust passage of the block. Polished one exhaust manifold up to shiny finish.

My tests don't end here. Tested different pipes and lenghts, different fuels with different oil percentages and I'm getting some noticeable results.

Not an expert, but I'm getting some experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conrod01.jpg (36.4 KB, 231 views)
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 02:01 PM   #288
Tech Elite

Default Side view of conrod.

Got an idea, seemed interesting and prep'ed some conrods for testing (good or bad, don't know - experimentation will say). Here's a side view of the conrod.

BTW: Photos could be better, but have other interesting things on which I focus my efforts than taking nice photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conrod01-side.jpg (65.9 KB, 253 views)
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Old 03-13-2003, 02:03 PM   #289
Tech Elite

Default Other prototype of conrod.

This conrod has more agressive grinding and filing. At the side a stock conrod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg conrods.jpg (148.2 KB, 229 views)
Old 03-13-2003, 02:31 PM   #290
RC
Tech Apprentice

Nice work

Crank case volume is interesting, it would be nice to find a filler material that didn't chip over time to be able to make modifications and compensate.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:00 AM   #291
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Crankcase Volume-Pressure

This is why the RAGE Turbo backplate was a very bad idea. Hopefully some of you remember this part. It was a solid billet backplate with holes/ports to supposedly take the intake charge from the crank aspiration hole and shoot it directly at the ports. This part would of increased the crankcase volume immensely.

Last edited by FREAKAH; 03-14-2003 at 01:07 AM.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:11 AM   #292
Tech Apprentice

One reason for cuts, grooves, etc on the ports of the sleeve are to cause the air/fuel mixture to swirl up and away from the transfer ports and towards the head. The “twister” effect of the air/fuel mixture speeds up the stream and causes greater mixing of the oxygen and fuel. High speed and a good mixture of fuel and oxygen equal power. The difference between a stock sleeve and the one shown in the above posts is very significant.

The reason I deleted most of the posts were because those posts were directed to motorman and since he deleted his post it wouldn’t have made sense to keep it up. It isn’t fair to motorman or the readers of this thread.

With new techniques and new equipment, I have been able to cut production in half.

If I haven’t answered your question then email me at [email protected]

Thanks.
SmeltzRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:13 AM   #293
Tech Apprentice

Corse-R, you can still do a lot more with your con rod.
SmeltzRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 03:08 AM   #294
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by RC
Nice work

Crank case volume is interesting, it would be nice to find a filler material that didn't chip over time to be able to make modifications and compensate.

Devcon.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 03:13 AM   #295
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Devcon rocks....

I have used it quite a bit... It out performed my expectations....
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 06:46 AM   #296
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Thumbs up Motor Price Question?

Is $235 a good price for a Smeltz MT12 new in bag, never even been out of the bag or in a car?

Would I also be able to get parts from Smeltz for this? I have heard he is only doing engines for current customers. Just don't want to get one of his motors and not be able to get some of his parts for it when needed.

Thanks,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 08:07 AM   #297
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SmeltzRacing
With new techniques and new equipment, I have been able to cut production in half.
Does this mean you are now taking new orders? Thanks
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 03:06 PM   #298
RC
Tech Apprentice

Default Devcon

Is Devcon strong enough, temperature resistant, to be used in the exhaust port/passage?
Old 03-14-2003, 03:09 PM   #299
RC
Tech Apprentice

And which one of the many Devcon products are you using?
Old 03-14-2003, 04:49 PM   #300
bt
Tech Adept

Default smeltz

smeltz new work looks excellent,the crank work looks innovative.
bt is offline   Reply With Quote