R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-23-2012, 04:04 AM   #316
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,269
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

An interesting quote from Mario Hudy on the Xray forums:
http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13110

Quote:
The team has improvised a lot at the Worlds while working on the set-up. As far I heard the tire treatment created a lot of problems, without the tire treatment the cars were slow, with the treatment the cars tractionrolled. So I expect that modification was to try to find a solution to the particular track condition as well to try to fight some other competitors who used some very special tires.
What tires?
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:13 AM   #317
M7H
Tech Elite
 
M7H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,196
Default

Dual stage or dual compound tyres I think he is referring to.
__________________
Serpent
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #318
Tech Regular
 
djiewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 440
Default

look at the setupsheet, i think from Wang. (mugen) There the front tires. But at 40/40 both tires what is the advantage then?
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:58 AM   #319
Tech Master
 
DS Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,440
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
An interesting quote from Mario Hudy on the Xray forums:
http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13110



What tires?
Pretty lame excuse if you ask me, every tire brand offers a dual compound tire at the moment, including Matrix.

The dual compound tires have the normal front tire foam on the outside, but on the inside they have the foam which is normally used for the rear tires. Not everybody knows this but the tire companies use a different type of foam for the fronts and for the rears. The rear tire foam has more grip, despite having the same shore rating.

So when you have a 40/40 front tire it will have 40 shore front tire foam on the outside and 40 shore rear tire foam on the inside.
There are a lot of different ways on how to make such a tire, which shore combination, do you use the same amount of both foams or only a thin strip on the inside etc.

The dual compound tire reduces the chance of traction rolling, because the outside of the tire has less grip. In my experience it also made the car a lot smoother to drive compared to normal foam tires with additive.
__________________
P1-RC.com
DS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:04 AM   #320
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Beneath a rock down by the river. Don't have money for van
Posts: 3,172
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

So,dual compound is the way to go?
__________________
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡) https://www.facebook.com/becomeasetupguru/
30Tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:14 AM   #321
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,269
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djiewie View Post
look at the setupsheet, i think from Wang. (mugen) There the front tires. But at 40/40 both tires what is the advantage then?
With the 1/8 it is a known thing not to treat the front tires on the full surface or else you do get to much steer. I can imaging going to a harder front tire you can treat them on the full surface ending up with a more consistent setup when changing tires
__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #322
Tech Regular
 
djiewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
So when you have a 40/40 front tire it will have 40 shore front tire foam on the outside and 40 shore rear tire foam on the inside.
That explaines it , thanks. Do you have these tires then?? for sale
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:32 AM   #323
Tech Master
 
DS Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,440
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djiewie View Post
That explaines it , thanks. Do you have these tires then?? for sale
For the 2013 season I will start stocking them, Capricorn and Hotrace make them.
If you want them sooner I can order them.
__________________
P1-RC.com
DS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #324
Tech Regular
 
djiewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
For the 2013 season I will start stocking them, Capricorn and Hotrace make them.
If you want them sooner I can order them.
will speak you at the meeting. 16 dec.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #325
M7H
Tech Elite
 
M7H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,196
Default

Just quickly make a proposal to prohibit the use of dual compound tyres, like in 12th scale IFMAR rules:

4.0.4 Tyres: Min. width is 13mm. Max. Width is 38m.
Any tyre diameter will be allowed. The tyre width is measured at the widest part of the tread or
sidewall. The diameter must be maintained over at least the minimum width of the tyre. The tyre
sizes apply at the start of the race.
Each tyre on the car must only be constructed from one (1) compound (shore rating/density) of
foam rubber.
__________________
Serpent
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #326
Tech Master
 
DS Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,440
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
Just quickly make a proposal to prohibit the use of dual compound tyres, like in 12th scale IFMAR rules:

4.0.4 Tyres: Min. width is 13mm. Max. Width is 38m.
Any tyre diameter will be allowed. The tyre width is measured at the widest part of the tread or
sidewall. The diameter must be maintained over at least the minimum width of the tyre. The tyre
sizes apply at the start of the race.
Each tyre on the car must only be constructed from one (1) compound (shore rating/density) of
foam rubber.
Yo do know every normal front tire is already made out of 2 pieces of foam?. The dual compounds are made out of 3 pieces.
__________________
P1-RC.com
DS Motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #327
M7H
Tech Elite
 
M7H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
Yo do know every normal front tire is already made out of 2 pieces of foam?. The dual compounds are made out of 3 pieces.
Yep, I know, but never really cared about it. We will see if the dual compound tyres will be available in a lot of different types to suit every type of track and traction.
__________________
Serpent
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #328
Tech Regular
 
djiewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M7H View Post
Yep, I know, but never really cared about it. We will see if the dual compound tyres will be available in a lot of different types to suit every type of track and traction.
OFFTOPIC; well the 8 scale nationals are all in favor for saucing. At least no preposal is made to follow EFRA on handout tires. Lots off saucing next year in 8 scale. And multi shore tires i suppose for the sponsored racers to get the edge.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #329
M7H
Tech Elite
 
M7H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djiewie View Post
OFFTOPIC; well the 8 scale nationals are all in favor for saucing. At least no preposal is made to follow EFRA on handout tires. Lots off saucing next year in 8 scale. And multi shore tires i suppose for the sponsored racers to get the edge.
Not yet, proposal can still come, but I sure don't hope we go that direction, because I don't have the faith it can work on national level.
In the UK they are going to work with a control tyre as far as I know, so lets see how this goes next year!
__________________
Serpent
M7H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #330
Tech Regular
 
djiewie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 440
Default

saucing in nitroclass is like in 12 scale i suppose
so it can be good for the racers with no setup skills.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:36 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net