R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 AM   #31
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 235

BTW the vertex is a 3 port non turbo and won't get it done on our track.JCFJ if you're running mugen the car out of the box is way to short on gear for our track you need to adapt 1/8 gearing.It might be alright with a 3 port but when you put a competitive engine in it you'll run out of gear.Even when you change to a higher gear that car really accellerates well.Excellent off the corner ,a little choppier to drive than a serpent,but it is a much older design. Andy
trashcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:26 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Default gearing

Andy,
i can keep up. i was struggling to keep up sunday with the slow motor though
after running the novamega ms concept I couldn't agree with you more about the 3 port motors at least.
i think This is Jame's first nitro car so he isn't getting in over his head, plus they are easy to tune.
I was kind of hoping that shorter gearing would work better on a higher reving modded turbo because it would let the motor wind out and keep it in the power band? wouldn't higher gearing keep the rpms down? my neo isn't the same as the avance but i noticed the gearing wasn't too far out of wack with the low revving motor.
the first thing i did sunday night when i went home was put in the murnan rb. if noise is any indication this motor will scream. it sounds like a 21, even idling the thing sounds scary!
sedanaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: gearing

Quote:
Originally posted by sedanaddict

I was kind of hoping that shorter gearing would work better on a higher reving modded turbo because it would let the motor wind out and keep it in the power band? wouldn't higher gearing keep the rpms down? my neo isn't the same as the avance but i noticed the gearing wasn't too far out of wack with the low revving motor.
I was just thinking the same thing myself. A higher end modded engine should be comfortable pulling smaller pinions with the same resulting top end speed while improving bottom end punch from the corner.
teammpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #34
Tech Adept

Default 235

mugen does not have enough gear believe me or find out for yourself.Ran JPs and murnan evo5 both would over rev badly with stock gearing thecar comes off the corner so well it needs no help.when set up well it is very free through the corner.All that being said I like the serpent better as it is much smoother to drive.Andy
Old 04-12-2005, 05:49 PM   #35
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default gearing

Trashcar -
Do you have a good starting setup sheet to share? I've picked up a 17T and 20T pinions, but haven't located additional spur gears. How does a high overdrive ratio impact the performance... say 1.06 v. 1.01?

Sedan- I'm bummed, I didn't make it out on Sunday... had a higher priority take over my day.... hopefully, I'll get out there this next Sunday.

Thanks...

J
Old 04-12-2005, 06:49 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Default 235

James,
you better get out there sunday, you won't have time to break that motor in! i am running 1 tank a night after work, trying to get a head start on break in because i need some full speed time on sunday to see if i can keep up with andy and eli and everybody else in this "dead"(yeah right) class!
Old 04-13-2005, 06:40 AM   #37
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Question??

I bought an Impact M2 Challenge. The weird part about it is that its not the WC'02 Impact. Some parts are different. For example in the front end, the shocks only have one mounting position instead of the two that are on the WC'02. Same for the rear, its totally different. My question is that is it possible to convert it to the WC'02?? Are the chassis hole the same. I know its an odd question and maybe only a serpent expert may be able to answer me.. Thanks for your help.
sinisterRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:11 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Default 235

hey andy,
i got some bigger pinions today. that thread of doubt you put in my head was just enough...
Old 04-13-2005, 07:29 PM   #39

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to Jpilone

I finished second at the Winternats in February of this year with my impact, converted to an 835 with a 3 port .15 Novamega MS powering it (the last .15 Big Block Serpent USA had, which was hand delivered to me for the last day of qualifying).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trophy.jpg (147.8 KB, 71 views)
Jpilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:18 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

sts makes a BB 15 http://www.stsrc.com.tw/engines/STS15.php
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:21 AM   #41
Tech Adept

Default winternats

A good driver can win with a subpar engine,it takes a bad driver to lose with a 5 port.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:46 AM   #42

if I didn't have a bad crash 10 minutes into the race, I would have had a chance to win. I had the fastest car on the track before that.

What happened was another racer (actually a friend of mine) in the main traction rolled coming out of the legendary chicane and I was 2 seconds behind him. There were no audible warnings about a car upside down and BAM! I hit him at full speed. the crash popped out a front dogbone and sheared off one front bodymount. After 10 laps in the pits, my guys wedge teh dogbone back into place (I put zipties around them as a precaution, thank god I did!) and got me back out, but with a front bodymount missing.

My car was still fast, but I had to lift the throttle every now and then because the body would flap and the car would almost blow over backwards on me.

I was in 2nd place at the end, 13 laps behind the winner. I spent 10 laps in the pits for repairs and was slower for 35 minutes of the race. So if I didn't crash, I would have had a real shot at winning the race.

Look at the pic of my car above.. Look at my left wheels.. my Left rear is missing a huge chunk of rubber AND RIM! My left front was almost down to the rim and was cracked in 3 places..

If you want to see the laps from that race, check out the next from last race on this link

http://www.winternats.com/2005/2nddaymainslaps.htm
Old 04-14-2005, 07:12 AM   #43
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jpilone
if I didn't have a bad crash 10 minutes into the race, I would have had a chance to win. I had the fastest car on the track before that.

What happened was another racer (actually a friend of mine) in the main traction rolled coming out of the legendary chicane and I was 2 seconds behind him. There were no audible warnings about a car upside down and BAM! I hit him at full speed. the crash popped out a front dogbone and sheared off one front bodymount. After 10 laps in the pits, my guys wedge teh dogbone back into place (I put zipties around them as a precaution, thank god I did!) and got me back out, but with a front bodymount missing.

My car was still fast, but I had to lift the throttle every now and then because the body would flap and the car would almost blow over backwards on me.

I was in 2nd place at the end, 13 laps behind the winner. I spent 10 laps in the pits for repairs and was slower for 35 minutes of the race. So if I didn't crash, I would have had a real shot at winning the race.

Look at the pic of my car above.. Look at my left wheels.. my Left rear is missing a huge chunk of rubber AND RIM! My left front was almost down to the rim and was cracked in 3 places..

If you want to see the laps from that race, check out the next from last race on this link

http://www.winternats.com/2005/2nddaymainslaps.htm
Fastest car Mark had a the fastest lap at 13.4 on lap #16 and your fastest lap on that race was 13.7 on lap #78 from what i saw ,but good job finishing #2
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 07:13 AM   #44

yeah, but I beleive I was more consistent before my car broke.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:15 AM   #45
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jpilone
yeah, but I beleive I was more consistent before my car broke.
yes you were , if you race next year ill give you a set of custom made cvd"s for the 835 so you dont have that problem next year!!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote