R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default brand new serpent vector

i recently bought a serpent vector, found it on the back of the consignment shelf at my lhs. its a brand new 99 spec car (not sure about that though, more on that in a sec) built as a shelf queen (no loctite or grease on anything), complete except for a receiver. i managed to talk them down to $250, and figured what the heck, i could use another car.

now before i get the "it wont compete, its out of date, wont be able to get parts" posts, im aware. ive done a lot of research, ive found a lot of parts on ebay, and figured out most of the consumable parts (gears, belts, pulleys, etc) are still used on current serpents, or are still available. many other parts looks easily adaptable, or useable while changing other parts to match. i also wont be racing this car. ive been into nitro onroad for 12 years now, always wanted a 1/8 scale just cause. i now run 1/5 scale onroad, we dont seriously race, we set up a track and have fun, and a few of us have smaller 1/10 and 1/8 scale we like to screw around with. thats what this car is going to be used for, itll go along with my nitro tc3 with os fs40-sc 4 stroke.

so i have a few questions with this car, im hoping somebody here knows something about it.

1)the car is tagged as a 99 spec, as is the manual, but the car doesnt seem to match the 99 spec. the car has the later vector nt adjustable shocks. it also has an aluminum layshaft mount, along with aluminum mount for the rear of the top deck/handle mount. is it actually a 99 spec, or is it maybe a 2000 spec, or early nt?
2)the car has a nova mega 21 7 port turbo plug, i think its an sx-21 but not sure. looks like the same motor that came in the 2000 spec kit that includes engine. anyone have any info on rated power, or what plug i should use in it (30% byrons race fuel). its got a nova mega pipe and header as well
3)what do i need for a steering servo? i know faster is better, insanely fast just fast enough. whats needed for torque? do i really need a metal gear servo? the car had a hitec 7975hb for throttle/brake (and a futaba 3305 standard for steering, go figure), i figure its enough speed for steering, im just a little iffy on it being karbonite gear
4)whats the deal on tires? in my early days of nitro rc when i was drooling over the hpi proceed (i started with a nitro rs4 2 is 2000) i remember reading about different wheel offsets on different cars. it seems thats become a standard thing now, but what do i need to know for buying tires? are there any newer cars that still use the same offset? did the offset change both front and rear, or just one end? i do have a lathe, i can make adapters or new hubs to fit other wheels if i have to, but if i can get wheels to directly fit, id rather go that way. please fill me in on everything wheel/tire fitment that might be useful.

im just hoping to have some fun with this car. i know its not ideal for a parking lot track, but i figured this was a cheap way to fulfill an rc dream
Sharkey_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:48 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You need OS1 rims n tires Edam Razor Pro still uses these although Razor 2 doesn't now.
Www.rc-direct.co.uk stocks OS1 tires for Edam racers here.
The 3305 is ok servo not amazing.. I still use mine on an NT1.
Im using a Savox 1251mg on my throttle/brake it's very quick and smooth which is perfect for this application. I will be replacing my 3305 eventually.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #3
Tech Regular

im hoping to find tires in north america, i already have one car i need to buy everything out of europe (fg evo). thanks for the link though. i did some reading on os1 vs os2, the thing i couldnt find is the numbers. do the tires mount the same way? is the axle shaft the same diameter? and what is the actual offset specs of the os1 and os2 designs?

i do plan to change the steering servo. i have a problem with trusting a car capable of 60+ mph to cheap radio gear (even though i still use a jr xr3i radio. going to update that soon though, just receives for 6 cars kinda hurts the wallet). im actually considering just swapping the servos around, run the hitec 7975 for steering, i just am a little unsure if i can get away with plastic geared servo for a 1/8 scale. my 1/10 scale stuff has never had an issue, however the 1/8 scale has a little more weight behind it.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

The engine will serve you nicely. Why not swap the servos around? The hitec has more torque for steering. OS1 and OS2 are not compatible.. I believe.
fung_kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Tech Regular

i think thats what im gonna do actually. id like a little more speed for throttle/brake than the .20, but i can always change it down the road. digital would also be nice as well. gonna see what my lhs has in stock.

im aware os1 and os2 wont interchange, im just wondering what the difference is. i have a lathe and cnc mill at my disposal, im sure i can make os2 wheels fit the car, but i need to know the difference first
Old 09-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

If I remember.. Os2 does not need as much axle contact as os1 as he os2 I tried to install was wiggling back and forth on the axle.
fung_kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #7
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default new axles

I imagine you can just pruchase the new serpent stock axles and then you dont have to go crazy trying to find old dried-up tires. You could use the new style rims used on every modern 8th scale.

I might even have a complete set of used axles with new dog bones front and rear that I dont use anymore. Let me know if you want them, we'll figure it out.

pm me if you are interested.
Paulie
PT RC Racing Oils
Paulie Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #8
Tech Master

My Vector retired in 2006. Still have Ellegi tires for it 2 sets.
Attached Thumbnails
brand new serpent vector-dscn0224.jpg  
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
Tech Regular

i picked up a servo for it, grabbed a hitec 5625 and tossed it in for throttle/brake. not my first choice, but itll work fine. i got the car mostly together tonight, just need a receiver (and some other radio gear, time to upgrade), so i grabbed some pics

and just for good measure, my onroad fleet (missing is my drift car, but its electric, it doesnt count)

nitro tc3 with 4 stroke, the serpent, and 1/5 scale fg modelsport sportsline, mostly upgraded to an evo.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #10
Tech Adept

I USED TO HAVE THE SERPENT 950...I MISS THAT CAR
PNT2000 is offline   Reply With Quote