R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Guys,I'm New And I Need Help Starting! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/661525-guys-im-new-i-need-help-starting.html)

TheDeboy 09-12-2012 01:36 PM

Guys,I'm New And I Need Help Starting!

3 years ago, my cousin gave me his Nitro RC Car, and since then it has been sitting in my basement, so 1 day, I decided to check it out, and I was wondering how to start it and all. I soon got all the essentials to work, such as power, remote, and gas/reverse, and left/right. But, I soon realized I didn't have a charged glow igniter, so I ordered I nice little kit online for aorund $20 including a new starter and new charger. So, when it got here, I charged it for night and school hours thinking that should be enough(didnt come with instructions) and it wouldn't start up... So then I tried starting up the engine, i put the igniter in the hole and then pulled the string thing a couple times, (as I saw on youtube videos) but it wouldn't work... I have some pictures, PLEASE HELP!!!
Also, can you give me some tips on how to start the thing and how it works and stuff THANKS!!

I had pictures, but apparently I'm not allowed to post em :C

Winner's Circle 09-12-2012 01:56 PM

Take the plug out of the engine and put it into the glow driver and see if the filament in the glow plug glows. If not you need a glow plug.

If the plug is good then you may need to prime the engine. I do this by putting a few drops of fuel into the carburetor (take the air filter off first). Now try starting it again. If it acts like it wants to run but keeps dying then it could be that you need to adjust your carburetor mixture adjustments or it could be that the fuel is not making it from the tank through the fuel line to the carburetor.

Do some trouble shooting to make sure it is getting fuel. Once you know the plug is good and the engine is getting fuel then all that is left is to get the mixture adjustments set and you are good to go.

Good luck,

Lee

blis 09-12-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheDeboy (Post 11203237)
3 years ago, my cousin gave me his Nitro RC Car, and since then it has been sitting in my basement, so 1 day, I decided to check it out, and I was wondering how to start it and all. I soon got all the essentials to work, such as power, remote, and gas/reverse, and left/right. But, I soon realized I didn't have a charged glow igniter, so I ordered I nice little kit online for aorund $20 including a new starter and new charger. So, when it got here, I charged it for night and school hours thinking that should be enough(didnt come with instructions) and it wouldn't start up... So then I tried starting up the engine, i put the igniter in the hole and then pulled the string thing a couple times, (as I saw on youtube videos) but it wouldn't work... I have some pictures, PLEASE HELP!!!
Also, can you give me some tips on how to start the thing and how it works and stuff THANKS!!

I had pictures, but apparently I'm not allowed to post em :C

Might want to post in the "rookie" thread for more assistance.

TheDeboy 09-12-2012 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle (Post 11203326)
Take the plug out of the engine and put it into the glow driver and see if the filament in the glow plug glows. If not you need a glow plug.

If the plug is good then you may need to prime the engine. I do this by putting a few drops of fuel into the carburetor (take the air filter off first). Now try starting it again. If it acts like it wants to run but keeps dying then it could be that you need to adjust your carburetor mixture adjustments or it could be that the fuel is not making it from the tank through the fuel line to the carburetor.

Do some trouble shooting to make sure it is getting fuel. Once you know the plug is good and the engine is getting fuel then all that is left is to get the mixture adjustments set and you are good to go.

Good luck,

Lee

Thanks, I got it to work with my dad, but when it started up the car was going crazy! (It was against a wall) At first I thought it was starting but not moving, but when I lifted the car up, the wheels starting turning like crazy! And it was totally out of control, if I pushed the remote into the reverse direction it would only slow it down, help!

hitcharide1 09-12-2012 09:49 PM

Hi

Originally Posted by TheDeboy (Post 11203987)
Thanks, I got it to work with my dad, but when it started up the car was going crazy! (It was against a wall) At first I thought it was starting but not moving, but when I lifted the car up, the wheels starting turning like crazy! And it was totally out of control, if I pushed the remote into the reverse direction it would only slow it down, help!

Were I you, I'd find the nearest hobby shop and go there. It sounds like you have a number of issues, and getting it explained one by one via emails and messages is never a substitute for first hand knowledge from someone who knows what they are doing. You'll save yourself a lot of time and aggravation this way, plus the hobby shop dude may see something wrong with your car that you'd miss, and potentially save you a ton of money and frustration in the process.