R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2007, 10:33 PM   #8821
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

The MSR spring works just fine on the sedan.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:22 AM   #8822
Tech Elite
 
HarKonnenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,024
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Default

Thnx Scott and Walley. Is there a big difference between the Super Hard and the factory spring that comes with the MTX4?
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 AM   #8823
Tech Elite
 
quietstorm76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,265
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
The MSR spring works just fine on the sedan.
What setting do you use on the spring when measured from the end on the crank? And do you use the drilled fly weights or the standard. I run the MSR on my 8th scale but have put one on my touring car.
__________________
Team Shepherd USA:Nugget's Ranch Raceway
Primary Weapon: ?
Secondary Weapon: ?
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #8824
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1
Send a message via Yahoo to T Emory
Default

Any suggestions on parts for the MTX-4R to lighten the drivetrain and maybe even one place to find all parts?
T Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #8825
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietstorm76 View Post
What setting do you use on the spring when measured from the end on the crank? And do you use the drilled fly weights or the standard. I run the MSR on my 8th scale but have put one on my touring car.
When I ran that car I ran the spring about 1.1 -1.2mm below the end of the crank. I ususally ran the flyweights drilled out to 3.5mm.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:50 AM   #8826
Tech Elite
 
YBSLOW's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: ARIZONA
Posts: 2,368
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
When I ran that car I ran the spring about 1.1 -1.2mm below the end of the crank. I ususally ran the flyweights drilled out to 3.5mm.
My sedan clutch setup is similar...................I drill flyweights to 4mm and run the MSR spring at about .9 mm from end of the crank threads with a .3 gap and minimal endplay.
__________________
YBSLOW Racing
RC Target - Capricorn
HOTRACE Tyres, Tru Source, Fantom
POWER MASTER Fuel, 2mm Designs
Protoform Bodies, Avid Bearings, AMR Engines
YBSLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #8827
Tech Elite
 
HarKonnenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,024
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Default

Scott - Are you using the option rear swar bar for the MTX4? I will install mine in the mean time. I also had bought HPI alum hex hubs, but the inner diameter doesn't clear the axle near the drive pin so I'll bore them out to fit.
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #8828
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD View Post
Scott - Are you using the option rear swar bar for the MTX4? I will install mine in the mean time. I also had bought HPI alum hex hubs, but the inner diameter doesn't clear the axle near the drive pin so I'll bore them out to fit.
I signed a contract with Kyosho in January. WHEN I was using the MTX 4, I used the normal wire sway bars. I got my car MTX4 out of the first batch and at first there was no adjustable blade sway bar for the car. The sway bars were the same for the MTX3 and I already had all of them so I just kept using them. It is easier to make fine adjustments with the wire sway bars. I do use the blade with my K-car, but it came with the car and it is defnitely faster to make changes with a blade type bar.

For the aluminum hex hubs, why don't you just get ones made for the car. Mugen, Kawahara and Kfactory all make aluminum hexes. I am sure there are others as well.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #8829
Tech Elite
 
HarKonnenD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 3,024
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD
Default

Ahh I gotcha.So to make adjustments with the blade type sway bar I have to loosen the grub screws on top and slide the left or right sway bar outward a bit right? Also, you think I can get the stock mugen clutch setup to have nearly as much snap as using the super hard spring or the msr spring? Right now I am at about 8mm measuring from the tip of the crank to the adjuster nut. The yellow shoe is also being used with stock flywheel weights. I do have the drilled out ones though.
HarKonnenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #8830
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarKonnenD View Post
Ahh I gotcha.So to make adjustments with the blade type sway bar I have to loosen the grub screws on top and slide the left or right sway bar outward a bit right? Also, you think I can get the stock mugen clutch setup to have nearly as much snap as using the super hard spring or the msr spring? Right now I am at about 8mm measuring from the tip of the crank to the adjuster nut. The yellow shoe is also being used with stock flywheel weights. I do have the drilled out ones though.
To adjust the blade sway bar you loosen the set screw and rotate the bar, both sides of the bar, not slide in or out.

The stock mugen clutch uses the super hard spring and drilled out fly weights. Most of the team drivers drill the holes out larger to make the weights even lighter. I didn't know of any of the team that used the yellow shoe on the sedan. That doesn't mean they don't, they just didn't when I was on the team. At that time we used the grey shoe. The stock Mugen MTX4 clutch works pretty darn well. The MSR spring and slightly lighter weights just makes it a bit better. Also, how good your clutch seems does depend on your engine as well. Some engines make better bottom end, so the exact same clutch settings on two different engines will yield a totally different feel. The clutch I ran on the Sirio STI felt like an on/off switch on the IDM engine. The IDM makes much more torque so I had to soften the clutch to make the car drivable. The CRF engine doesn't have a lot of torque so my normal clutch setting would probably feel a bit boggy on that engine. You have to tailor your clutch to the engine.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:53 AM   #8831
Tech Elite
 
wallyedmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brampton ont canada
Posts: 3,662
Default

just a note
the mtx3 sway is different than the mtx4 sway,they both can be used but they feel different.
and iv found that doing the clutch like Keisuke works very well,
clutch shoe gray
centrifugal shoe H0766 x 2
spring H0767
clutch bell .4
spring nut .5
with the ninja motor.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:23 AM   #8832
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds View Post
just a note
the mtx3 sway is different than the mtx4 sway,they both can be used but they feel different.
and iv found that doing the clutch like Keisuke works very well,
clutch shoe gray
centrifugal shoe H0766 x 2
spring H0767
clutch bell .4
spring nut .5
with the ninja motor.
The MTX3 and MTX4 wire sway bars are the same and totally interchangeable. I assume you are talking about the blade sway bars.
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #8833
Tech Fanatic
 
Seisick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Emory View Post
Any suggestions on parts for the MTX-4R to lighten the drivetrain and maybe even one place to find all parts?
try mushroom rcmart or nitrohouse,
lots of options for the mtx4, msr and kawahara are the best no doubt
Seisick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:41 AM   #8834
Tech Master
 
spurcheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Last in the "Z" main
Posts: 1,628
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 2nd gear premature wear

I am sure this probably has already been answered but I just can't bring myself to go thru all the pages of this thread. I have been having severe problems with 2nd gear stripping (spur gear, not clutch bell). Anyone have any solutions. Car handles well, but I can't get thru a heat without going thru 1. Is it possible the brace above the clutch bell should be replaced with an aluminum upgrade part because the plastic OEM part is stretching????

Also, the 2nd gear is 53 tooth, 1st gear is 59 tooth. Is this correct, or do I have the wrong gear(s).
__________________
The Punter or The Punt-ee,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,who you be??

No Apologies Racing, don't believe me, try me!!!!!
spurcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #8835
Tech Elite
 
wallyedmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brampton ont canada
Posts: 3,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher View Post
The MTX3 and MTX4 wire sway bars are the same and totally interchangeable. I assume you are talking about the blade sway bars.
oh yes i am,blade sway bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurcheck View Post
I am sure this probably has already been answered but I just can't bring myself to go thru all the pages of this thread. I have been having severe problems with 2nd gear stripping (spur gear, not clutch bell). Anyone have any solutions. Car handles well, but I can't get thru a heat without going thru 1. Is it possible the brace above the clutch bell should be replaced with an aluminum upgrade part because the plastic OEM part is stretching????

Also, the 2nd gear is 53 tooth, 1st gear is 59 tooth. Is this correct, or do I have the wrong gear(s).
many have talked about this prob and i do run the alm brace but this is what i do coz i did strip the 2nd gear once in my life.
1st go here to set up your 2 speed http://www.nitrokb.com/mtx4/
2nd mesh gears tight
iv never had a prob sens iv done this.
read the whole thing coz scott is very good in writing things down and making you understand good

i suck at writing so its hard for me to explain here. good luck and dont give up.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MUGEN MBX5R/MUGEN MBX5T PROSPEC/TRAXXAS RACE REVO Jason Halvorson R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 01-12-2008 10:32 AM
Mugen 5T Chassis, Mugen 46 Tooth Pinion, Associated Ride Height Gauge bretzkej R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 08-19-2007 06:31 PM
USA's Most Wanted FOR SALE Mugen MBX5R,Losi 8 comp, and Mugen MBX5T Prospec Truggy nobike R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 69 04-28-2007 07:45 PM
Another MTX3 prospec w lots of parts and an optional Mugen X12 w Mugen pipe Scott Fisher R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 11-21-2005 05:45 PM
drake xxx nt and mugen mst-1+extras......Looking for a kanai 2 or maybe mugen buggy [email protected] R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-30-2003 09:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:30 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net