R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #8401
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Well guys went to kissimmee raceway and I had some fear for the 2nd gear spur. Sure enough after a few tanks the 2nd gear spur became very silvery and was pretty much near wearing completely out.

Not good and very unhappy about this. I figure if anyone would survive this it would be me due to all my option parts ive purchaed to help this as well as the car being so lightweight. Im pretty sad too my jlr red dot ended up tuning out like a piece of crap and im pretty sure something is wrong with the gastank.

Not a good day at all for me. I almost feel like getting out of the hobby for awhile. Especially after a few other events that have been happening to me this week.

Id probably go and get that nt1 , but it sounds like its also a dud. Leaving me really no where to go. Ill see how long I can deal with this 2nd gear spur issue. Looks like im about to go buy a bulk pack of spurs.
i used to strip at least 4 spur gears a meeting i've got all the option parts 4mm chassis, one piece engine mount, etc. then i notice the carby(sirio sti) was just touching the brake disc so i shimmed the engine around one millimeter on the engine mount that fixed my stripping down to half the amount, than i fitted the steel 2nd gear pinion an now rarely strip 2nd gear spur(only if i stuff up with driving). why shim engine because the pinion is going to meet the spur close to the center line and not at the bottom and you can have a better mesh, driving improved too.

Mugen MRX-4X/4PK 2.4GHz FASST/ Sirio S21 WCR/ Matrix Tyres
EVIL-ET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:07 AM   #8402
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

stripping gears update.

mugen drivers, i have had a serious issue with stripping gears. my car would not last a 5 minute qual without stripping a gear within the 5 mins.

anyway my second full club day, and i am happy to report that after installing a brand new rear lay shaft i have solved my stripping gears issue. it seems the shaft wears out and causes wiggle in the second gear bearing.

i also used the 23/17 alloy pinions, which are not new, and slightly worn out (not alot though).

i am a very happy racer at the moment lol
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:55 AM   #8403

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB
stripping gears update.

mugen drivers, i have had a serious issue with stripping gears. my car would not last a 5 minute qual without stripping a gear within the 5 mins.

anyway my second full club day, and i am happy to report that after installing a brand new rear lay shaft i have solved my stripping gears issue. it seems the shaft wears out and causes wiggle in the second gear bearing.

i also used the 23/17 alloy pinions, which are not new, and slightly worn out (not alot though).

Ive got a brand new car with like an hour on it. This doesnt seem to help me.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:30 AM   #8404

Wow , just got a nice slap in the face. Mugen doesnt do ANY warranty work unless you have your reciept. Even if the product is clearly defective. So if you ever have any trouble on your car and theres no reciept. Your screwed. I unfortunately bought from acehardwarehobbies , which is now out of business. So I cant even get them to reprint it im sure.

This really is stressing me out. Im about ready to chuck my car out the window. So many option parts to try to get the 2nd gear to stay and still no one has really a clue why this really happens.

I mean Mugen should really do something to figure this out and come out with replacement parts or a guide on how to stop this.

HPI doesnt matter at all anything , I call them up tell them my part broke which wasnt normal or wasnt right from the box. No receipt , heck you wouldnt even have to send them the parts and you got your replacement sent to you.

Mugen wants the part back and reciept. Which im sure a lot of you dont have!

-1 for mugen.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:06 AM   #8405
Tech Champion

Quote:
Wow , just got a nice slap in the face. Mugen doesnt do ANY warranty work unless you have your reciept. Even if the product is clearly defective. So if you ever have any trouble on your car and theres no reciept. Your screwed. I unfortunately bought from acehardwarehobbies , which is now out of business. So I cant even get them to reprint it im sure.

This really is stressing me out. Im about ready to chuck my car out the window. So many option parts to try to get the 2nd gear to stay and still no one has really a clue why this really happens.

I mean Mugen should really do something to figure this out and come out with replacement parts or a guide on how to stop this.

HPI doesnt matter at all anything , I call them up tell them my part broke which wasnt normal or wasnt right from the box. No receipt , heck you wouldnt even have to send them the parts and you got your replacement sent to you.

Mugen wants the part back and reciept. Which im sure a lot of you dont have!

-1 for mugen.
This is what I did in my cars : MTX3 and MTX4. I don't have problem with SGS ( Stripping Gear Syndrome ) since 2004. And I haven't change my 2speed clutch shoe either since 2004. Always oil the bearings, ok? ...... Hope this helps.

If this still break, let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Mugen MTX-4-2speed.jpg   Mugen MTX-4-bulkhead.jpg   Mugen MTX-4-centax.jpg   Mugen MTX-4-base.jpg   Mugen MTX-4-dremel.jpg  

Last edited by asw7576; 05-22-2007 at 01:10 PM.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 11:20 AM   #8406

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
This is what I did in my cars : MTX3 and MTX4. I don't have problem with SGS ( Stripping Gear Syndrome ) since 2004. And I haven't change my 2speed clutch shoe either since 2004. Always oil the bearings, ok? ...... Hope this helps.

If this still break, let me know.
Oil one-way bearing right before kissimmee.... Ill say that this 2nd gear stripping could be the cause of two issues I had...that was running it in improper area for testing , which did start some trouble of snags in the pinion and spur. But...im going to put in new pinion and this will test to see if it lasts longer. But if I ran at kissimme , it would probably be toast rather quickly.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #8407
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB
stripping gears update.

Good to hear that you identified and solved your problem. Good job!
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:28 PM   #8408
Tech Elite

Quote:
Well guys went to kissimmee raceway and I had some fear for the 2nd gear spur. Sure enough after a few tanks the 2nd gear spur became very silvery and was pretty much near wearing completely out.

Not good and very unhappy about this. I figure if anyone would survive this it would be me due to all my option parts ive purchaed to help this as well as the car being so lightweight. Im pretty sad too my jlr red dot ended up tuning out like a piece of crap and im pretty sure something is wrong with the gastank.

Not a good day at all for me. I almost feel like getting out of the hobby for awhile. Especially after a few other events that have been happening to me this week.

Id probably go and get that nt1 , but it sounds like its also a dud. Leaving me really no where to go. Ill see how long I can deal with this 2nd gear spur issue. Looks like im about to go buy a bulk pack of spurs.
Cheer up A.I. We all have bad days - you know that. The best thing to do is to regroup, assess what has happened and come up with a plan to make things better. I'm not sure how you approach things, but this always seems to work for me.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:44 PM   #8409

Oh yeah thats the plan for me always. I usually pack up and go home and get to work. Clean everything properly so its easy to work on and go from there.

At this point though im pretty TO'd with mugens response. Luckily I found that I have a receipt in my email , at least some sort of receipt of payment via paypal. Now lets hope they take this because its not like I bought my kit in the store. I bought it online.
Old 05-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #8410

Ok im having the worst damn day ever. I just went to go remove the fuel line from my faulty gas tank only to get shot right in the eye with an eye full of gas. Ive been now washing my eye for 15 minutes and its completely blurry and messed up. Then I get a phone call while im washing my eye and find out my grandma has just passed away. I dont think it gets much worse than this.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 05-21-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:18 PM   #8411
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

feel bad for A.I. for the lost of your grandma

the warantee policy seems pretty bad for mugen, anyhow, I never rely on warantte unless I absolutely have to.

CGSS seems to be a common issue for MTX4 driver. I never use any gearing otehr than stock, stock gear ratio is fine for me as well as the gear durability.

what are the most common none-stock gear combination your guys use? I will see if I have those gear and try it out later
Old 05-21-2007, 02:25 PM   #8412
Tech Elite

Quote:
Ok im having the worst damn day ever. I just went to go remove the fuel line from my faulty gas tank only to get shot right in the eye with an eye full of gas. Ive been now washing my eye for 15 minutes and its completely blurry and messed up. Then I get a phone call while im washing my eye and find out my grandma has just passed away. I dont think it gets much worse than this.
Sorry to hear about the passing of your grandmother. My deepest sympathy to you and your family.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:32 PM   #8413

Ok guys. I think if we band together and push this one. We might actually see some results. The power of the internet we can voice our opinions to mugen and hopefully get something accomplished here.

I asked where is the best to send our thoughts on the 2nd Gear spur issue and here is the email I got.

[email protected]

State you have an mtx-4 and youve done everything possible to get it to last and that you would like some sort of update part or way to solve the problem.

I spoke with Mugen USA and they said the #1 thing is making sure the shoe is close to the outter housing. As this doesnt seem to help me whatsoever I think it would be good to let them know that as well.

Once youve sent your email , please note here so we can get a tally of how many people are doing this. It only takes a moment of your time and it would be great to finally get this resolved. I dont think we are going to be able to do this on our own! Mugen needs to step up and really address this issue by either coming out with an updated part or something more than whats been already said.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 05-21-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:35 PM   #8414
Tech Adept

Default Stay strong

Quote:
A I am sorry to hear of your bereavement
Stay strong brother.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:53 PM   #8415
Tech Fanatic

Default gear strippin issue

I donīt know what you guys are doing but I can assure you thereīs no
bad design in the mtx4 regarding the stripping.
I only stripped one spur since i missaligned the engine and that was it, one year ago, 6 mtx4 on my club and no stripped gears!
perfect alignment pinions vs spurs and thatīs it, 0.1mm endplay and make sure all screws are tied, specially the ones on the engine radio tray and chasis brace
no need for one piece engine mount, 4mm chasis, alum or carbon brace,
my shaft is more than a year old and so is the 2 speed houseing, Iīve even used a 3 year old housing with a bad bearing from my mtx3 and still no stripping.
sorry about you guys with the sindrome but i can assure you that the alignment is very critical, I even make sure that i have a 0.10mm endplay on my shaft, perhaps that could be the reason for your stripping! even with old alum pinions no stripping!
happy racing,
any help just pm me!