R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #8041
Tech Adept

Thumbs down Ohhhhhh Know 3 Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
3racing uni's are not good, stick with Mugen. It was discussed a few pages back. I would stay clear away from 3racing drivetrain components. Kawahara and MSR would be the place to look for drivetrain stuff.
3 racing are poor quality MSR or Kawahara are better
When come too this hobby am very passionate
A long time ago I ask this thread about the best hop up part you guy’s
Said Kawahara So I went with the advice and I never look back. The old saying states buy it once buy it right don’t go cheap on the drive train.
AI.
RC mart is a good for some thing but the Japanese shops are cheaper with high spec parts like Mugen and Kawahara
Old 04-02-2007, 04:49 PM   #8042
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Thanks for the thought Kevin. And yes, I do have an extra thrust bearing washer.

My endplay is 0.1mm and I use the 5 second face-up spin technique (after tightening the end cap scew) to verify that the clutch bell is not dragging on the shoe. I am currently using shims instead of the thrust bearing washer. Any particular benefit to using the thrust bearing over the shims? Also, the two thrust bearing washers have different internal diameters. Which one are you using?
RMD,

I use the single washer because the size was just right for that use. I was concerned when I piled on those thin washers that they would distort to easily. I face the flat side of the washer toward the bearings. I'm not sure if it is putting more stress on the bearings or not. I have used this for many club races and several big races with 30-40 minute mains.

I too burned up some thrust bearings. Now I check frequently and reapply superlube whenever I have a chance during the raceday. This sounds like a pain, and it is, but not finishing races is much more of a problem in my opinion.

When you say "internal Diameter" are you refering to the center hole or are you referring to the channel on one side? When I hear "internal diameter" I think of the center hole. If the center holes are different sizes I have never noticed. Let me know.
Bigbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #8043
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbarn
RMD,

I use the single washer because the size was just right for that use. I was concerned when I piled on those thin washers that they would distort to easily. I face the flat side of the washer toward the bearings. I'm not sure if it is putting more stress on the bearings or not. I have used this for many club races and several big races with 30-40 minute mains.

I too burned up some thrust bearings. Now I check frequently and reapply superlube whenever I have a chance during the raceday. This sounds like a pain, and it is, but not finishing races is much more of a problem in my opinion.

When you say "internal Diameter" are you refering to the center hole or are you referring to the channel on one side? When I hear "internal diameter" I think of the center hole. If the center holes are different sizes I have never noticed. Let me know.
I too use the an extra thrust bearing half as a washer then I add the thin shims to get the correct spacing. Also if you check the internal diameter(ID) of the thrust bearing halves you will notice one diameter is bigger. The bigger diameter goes closest to the clutch bell bearing.
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #8044
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-bump
I too use the an extra thrust bearing half as a washer then I add the thin shims to get the correct spacing. Also if you check the internal diameter(ID) of the thrust bearing halves you will notice one diameter is bigger. The bigger diameter goes closest to the clutch bell bearing.
I'll have to check that out when I get home. Perhaps that is why I blew a couple of thrust bearings.

Learning all the time, Thanks fellas
Old 04-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #8045
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

my Mugen CVD does not stand well against rust, but it is hard i know, many crush and still good, no bent nor break. just rust easily
Old 04-02-2007, 08:03 PM   #8046
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Breaker
my Mugen CVD does not stand well against rust, but it is hard i know, many crush and still good, no bent nor break. just rust easily
I just put a drop of oil on mine before every main and I don't see any rust.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:23 PM   #8047
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbarn
The problam has been and continues to be discussed on this thread every week. There are all the solutions you need here.

I guess all the 30 and 40 min. mains I run after a full day of qualifying with the same set of gears don't count. The harder I work the luckier I get.
Amen!

I bet that I ran three gallons of fuel through the same spur gears. Not the same pinions though.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:34 PM   #8048

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Breaker
You can always polish them. Get some metal polish and if you do it right you can just blip the throttle and spin it with a rag on it. If its the ends that are rusting get out a toothbrush and some metal polish. Some good work and it should come brand new or maybe even better.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #8049
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

can anyone tell me the diameter of the holes on the stock shock pistons (D0510, D0510R)? 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc..
Old 04-03-2007, 11:25 AM   #8050
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

I've noticed the same thing and as soon as I see the rust in the joint area, I've noticed excessive wear.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:32 PM   #8051
Tech Adept

Default compatible project

was wondering if the centax clutch bell from a MTX3 was the same as a MTX4? do the same gears work?
nitrothugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:35 PM   #8052

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrothugg
was wondering if the centax clutch bell from a MTX3 was the same as a MTX4? do the same gears work?
Clutchbell no , pinion gears yes.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #8053
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanks596
can anyone tell me the diameter of the holes on the stock shock pistons (D0510, D0510R)? 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc..
D0510 (stock), 1 hole x 1.1mm and 2 hole x 1.1mm
H0558 (optional), 1 hole x 1.2mm black.
H0559 (optional), 1 hole x 1.3mm white
jca2000au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #8054
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blanks596
Trying to get fast like Ishitani huh Max........
Old 04-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #8055
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrothugg

Clutch bell, no as AI said. The pinions I don't think will fit either. I know that AI said yes, but I am not so sure. The MTX 4 uses much smaller pinions which is why they made a new clutch bell. I don't know if the threaded area is the same size or not. It might be but even if they will thread on, I can't see using the MTX3 pinions as your car will be geared very very tall. Also, this is assuming you are talking MTX3 prospec. The standard MTX 3 is a different pitch and definitely will not work with MTX 4 spurs.