Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mugen MTX-4

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The day I tested mine I never really attemped to thrash it as I went slow to see the car at low speeds then slowly went faster. Lots of grip and the car went where I wanted it to go. I broke simple stuff on the R40, but the parts are weaker anyway.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Adept

just for the thinking process you have to realize if you have a weak point on your car and you strenghten it, you could be moving the problem to the next weakest point and if you follow this pattern you will come full circle.

cause if you hit something no matter what speed the energy has to go somewhere, so i think a little bit of give is ok. i'm like most racer i have a small budget to play with, so plastic and steel is cheaper to replace than carbon and alloy. It is annoying but i've learnt to live with it, cause you can't bet this sport for the fun factor
Old 03-31-2007, 07:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EVIL-ET
after breaking a few rear arms, shock shafts, swaybar links, rear bulkheads, rear shock tower, rear hinge pin holders and bent hingepins.
i found the best prevention is not to hit hard objects, so i haven't broken any of these parts for awhile
Har Har Har.

No I get what you mean. But the few guys on the track even concluded that my hit wasnt much to net that kinda damage.

Even then at the same track , different car , never had this kinda problem. Only time I did this was at the end of the straight after pushing it too fast. Id say my car was doing maybe 10 mph in the inside corners. Where as the one hit on my other car I was doing maybe 50mph on the outside edge and gave a large and audible wack that even kinda got some eewwws and ahhhs from the crowd that day. LOL.

I figured the mugen materials seem better but this is kinda concerning to me. I always saw the hpi materials as kinda flexy and bendy and weak. It indeed stripped easy when it came to wacks. But never broke a pin or arm otherwise.

In fact nothing on the car broke , except when I added CG arms to the car. Then it broke out my rear plastic lower suspension mount. Which I then said , uhh huh. I know what to do with this and upgraded that part to aluminum and TADA. The only aluminum part on my car and it was well worth having , never had a problem like that again.

I just hope its a fluke cause ill be highly sad if this car ends up showing me its not as durable as my old hpi, cause as many problems as it had. Im glad it didnt have that one.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

i don't know what it is but when i have had accident on fast corners and on slow corners, i have only ever broken parts on the slow corners. when i have had accident on fast corners i've thought this is going to be expensive but on checking the car i haven't seen any damage(to the naked eye anywhere)
Old 03-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Let me know what kinda stuff you guys are breaking and what you did to prevent it.
While I was driving my car with a Lola body, someone took me out, which flipped the car and the crash broke a 3mm rear shock tower above the shock. Luckily, I could still finish the race - even with the left rear of the body flopping around a bit. It's no secret that the 3mm shock tower is too weak to begin with. I'm replacing it with the Mugen 4mm tonight.

BTW.. Were you using dish or spoked wheels?
Old 03-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

i'm the other way round i've had big hits with the 3mm and the 4mm shock towers an only have broken the 4mm not the 3mm.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Ha good stories. Yeah ive already got the 4mm on there.

RMD: Remember to sand it first with some light grit sandpaper , clean it then apply some CA glue to it , then let it dry. This makes the piece a bit more durable and less open to cracking and fraying or getting caught on things.

I did it to mine and its so nice to pick up the car with it once its done. Very solid and smooth.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EVIL-ET
after breaking a few rear arms, shock shafts, swaybar links, rear bulkheads, rear shock tower, rear hinge pin holders and bent hingepins.
i found the best prevention is not to hit hard objects, so i haven't broken any of these parts for awhile
Once my driving improved, I stopped hitting things so hard and stopped breaking things. I haven't broken anything on my RRRs in months. Knock on wood.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii

BTW.. Were you using dish or spoked wheels?
Spoked. The walls are pvc pipes , held in place with sand bags. So there is some give. Quite frankly I cant remember what I really did to break it. I was driving in a tight section and Im sure I tapped the wall once or twice here and there but it didnt make any sense. Nothing sounded notable to break like this.

But luckily they do have hardened shafts for the car. Which im ordering tonight! I know theres a few out there.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

RMD: Remember to sand it first with some light grit sandpaper , clean it then apply some CA glue to it , then let it dry. This makes the piece a bit more durable and less open to cracking and fraying or getting caught on things.
K
Old 03-31-2007, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ha good stories. Yeah ive already got the 4mm on there.

I did it to mine and its so nice to pick up the car with it once its done. Very solid and smooth.
Rainer, sand the edges and CA it. We used to do it to pan car chassis, 12th and 10th. And I still do it to all cf pieces on all my cars, it helps the cf from delaminating and splitting.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RoyU
Rainer, sand the edges and CA it. We used to do it to pan car chassis, 12th and 10th. And I still do it to all cf pieces on all my cars, it helps the cf from delaminating and splitting.
Okay. Thanks Roy.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

A.I. - You can add this to the casualty list as well. Found this while I was prepping the car for tomorrow.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
A.I. - You can add this to the casualty list as well. Found this while I was prepping the car for tomorrow.

What the heck is that thing....ha. Like a thrust bearing or something?
Old 04-01-2007, 04:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

ay guys i busted 4 spur gears, and finished no races at my last race meet. i'm not looking to bring up another "stripped spurs remedy" discussion, but i am just looking for a "yes" or a "correct" and if you could tell me if i have outlined all the possible issues that affect spur stripping. ok here is what i remember either helps stop, or causes a stripped gear:

1-worn pinions
2-worn clutch bell bearings
3-worn 2 speed casing bearings
4-no washers on the top motor screws
5-top motor screws and bottom motor screws touching slightly at full screwed in positions
6-clutch bell touching the top cross brace
7-2 speed shaft moving from left to right due to pulley on the belt side not pushed in totally towards the left rear baulkhead
8-excessive pinion/spur gap
9-2 speed housing rubbing against clutch bell (noticable due to wear on bell and 2 speed housing
10-excessive gap between 2 speed shoes and the metal housing (ie minimise gap by tightening grub screws that push onto the steel balls)
11-excessive "slap" fromt he clutch when it enngages
12-muffler spring retainer that goes attached to the CF topdeck pushes the engine away from the spurs when it is tightened down, and the engine mount screws are at a loose setting
13-Alloy (stock pinions) installed

ok have i missed anything?
-i have installed a kawaharra carbonfibre cross brace, and a kawaharra 3mm chassis. i just wanna check to see if my above checklist is missing anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.