R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-17-2007, 12:54 PM   #7741

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
I have Kawahara Front One Way / Spool All in One system.

What is the benefit for having one-way spool ? Does it increase steering ?

Currently I feel my car is understeering off throttle ( I'm still using original mtx4 one way ).

Thanks for your suggestion.
This give the car the easy option of switching from one way to a spool, via slipping a pin in and out of the diff and covering with a rubber o-ring.

The spool allows you to use 4 wheel braking. Rather than the rear wheels, which can result in spinning the car out if you brake too hard. This gives the car the ability to brake harder.

The spool is more aggressive out of a corner. The one-way allows more turn in and on power grip. The reason , the one-way allows the wheels to rotate at different speeds in a corner, which both tires wont spin at the same speed in a turn as one is on the inside and the other the outside. So this gives more grip and decreases tire wear , where as a spool setup the front tires will wear more as the wheels turn at the same rate throughout the turn.

Spool Is good for tight technical tracks. One-Way is good for high speed sweeping tracks. Driving both is pretty different , essentially with a one-way your coasting through corners and using good lines and more turn in to scrub speed where as the spool your driving more aggressive, braking and accelerating. Id also gather with a spool your going to use more gas per minute. I personally like a spool. But have yet to really goto a track with high speed sweeping turns. But either way its good to have braking. Another benefit of the spool is almost zero maintenance. You never need to lube or worry about its action from one day to the next or one track to the next. Its a locked mechanism and therefore nothing should degrade except for slop in the shaft cups. Reason why I like spools. No real fuss and you can brake like an animal.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 03-17-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 01:03 PM   #7742
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

Well said!
Old 03-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #7743
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
I have Kawahara Front One Way / Spool All in One system.

What is the benefit for having one-way spool ? Does it increase steering ?

Currently I feel my car is understeering off throttle ( I'm still using original mtx4 one way ).

Thanks for your suggestion.

Will putting in a spool help out? I always thought that a spool will increase your understeer and a one way will give you more steering.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:50 PM   #7744
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarKonnenD

I would figure any over or understeer would be setup related rather than being an issue with the oneway or spool. Unless...maybe there is some binding? Then again even if there was some binding those diffs woulda been ruined in no time, no?
Old 03-17-2007, 08:04 PM   #7745
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

so i've read the last ten or so pages.

can anyone clarify exactly what the differences are in the new parts found on the world championship edition?

how can one expect the new car to react? better high-speed turns? more stable?

thanks!
Old 03-17-2007, 10:01 PM   #7746
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Peter ~ Check out the MTX-4 homepage in my signature. It's got the part numbers.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:42 AM   #7747

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
Will putting in a spool help out? I always thought that a spool will increase your understeer and a one way will give you more steering.
Thats correct.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #7748
Tech Elite

Mugen Germany has some pretty interesting parts for the MTX-4. Anybody using any of them? Check out the Produkte -> M-Mod by Mid section.

http://www.mid-mugen.de
Old 03-18-2007, 02:54 PM   #7749
ND
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Mugen Germany has some pretty interesting parts for the MTX-4. Anybody using any of them? Check out the Produkte -> M-Mod by Mid section.

http://www.mid-mugen.de
The M-Mod stuff is really high quality, and works very well. I use there stuff on my MTX-4 and MRX4-R. If your looking for some hop-ups these are worth a good look.
ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:02 PM   #7750
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:

Both require different driving habits and for the most part, different set ups. for myself, going from a one-way to a spool has been a challenging process. The spool is safer/easier to drive/control, but because I haven't quite adjusted to it yet, my lap times are approximately .5-1 sec slower. I would suggest for anyone considering the spool to get in as many hours of practice as you can before using it in a main
Old 03-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #7751
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND
The M-Mod stuff is really high quality, and works very well. I use there stuff on my MTX-4 and MRX4-R. If your looking for some hop-ups these are worth a good look.

where can you get this M-MOD parts here in the USA any distributors that you know of
turboxrayt1fk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:37 PM   #7752
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

Quote:
Yes, but like everybody else has said, it is more of a setup issue. If you got from a one-way to a spool, the best thing to start out with is a softer tire and softer springs and lighter shock oil in the front, thats a starting point. If you have a traction roll problem with a one way, go to a spool without changing anything and you will take care of the traction roll issue without having to change setup usualy..... But if you have a track that needs a lot of stopping, hair-pin turns, use a diff not a spool, unless you need the on power steering when the track is very technical. It is best to take the time and test the 3, Spool,one-way and a diff to see for yourself the characteristics of each.

The fastest way is the one-way, but your setup has to be optimal. The easy way to drive is with a spool or diff because it gives you the control of having very good brakes. The spool is a handycap because once you get your car working with it, it is hard to go back to a one-way.......no more brakes!

Good luck and remember that any time you test different options, it will benefit you 10 times by having that knowledge. Don't get frustrated and take your time. All the options in the world won't help unless you know when and how to use the.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #7753
Tech Regular

Default MTX4R

check it out
Attached Thumbnails
Mugen MTX-4-ssl10012.jpg   Mugen MTX-4-ssl10013.jpg   Mugen MTX-4-ssl10014.jpg  
FF25510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:08 PM   #7754
Tech Elite

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2007, 11:00 PM   #7755
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF25510