R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #7306
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,085
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

A solid aluminum shaft would be lighter than a solid titanium shaft. I know the mugen option one has some areas turned down a little bit more so it might be the same weight as a solid shaft without any weight reduction. I was just wondering if people have made them before and how they perform (if they break or not). I have access to a lathe and mill and I want to make a couple.
__________________
Speedpassion : Speedpower : East Coast Bodies
thunderbt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:27 PM   #7307
Tech Regular
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 274
Default

believe me, the most mugen team driver leave the s3 o-ring out.

anther thing, does somebody know a shop, where you can buy precut foam bumpers. I hate to cut the original one. It looks everytime sh.. when I cut them.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:48 PM   #7308
Moderator
 
Artificial-I's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Rurouni Kenshin
Posts: 3,459
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
Has anyone tried a solid aluminum mid-shaft before?

Just checking out the densities, aluminum is almost 3 times less dense than steel
Just installed my Sato liteweight "Hardened" middle shaft.
Stock was 11.7 Grams
Sato's was 4.0 Grams

Well worth the nominal price too for aluminum parts vs ti , etc. I highly doubt it will ever break. Especially it being hardened style aluminum.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #7309
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,085
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Thanks for the info AI

Does anyone know how much the MSR titanium shaft weighs?
__________________
Speedpassion : Speedpower : East Coast Bodies
thunderbt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #7310
Tech Adept
 
nitro_moe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
anther thing, does somebody know a shop, where you can buy precut foam bumpers. I hate to cut the original one. It looks everytime sh.. when I cut them.
Why don't you sand the edges instead of cutting the whole bumper. I simply cut close to the where I want it and then use a pretty thick sand paper to make my job a lot easier..

Hope it helps..
nitro_moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #7311
Tech Adept
 
nitro_moe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
anther thing, does somebody know a shop, where you can buy precut foam bumpers. I hate to cut the original one. It looks everytime sh.. when I cut them.
Why don't you sand the edges instead of cutting the whole bumper? I simply cut close to the where I want it and then use a pretty thick sand paper to make my job a lot easier..

Hope it helps..
nitro_moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:12 PM   #7312
Tech Elite
 
rmdhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,804
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_moe
Mugen MTX-4(getting rid of it ASAP!!), O.S. 12TZ(p) T3
Unhappy with the car? How come?
__________________
Nitro Knowledge Base: http://nitrokb.netne.net
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/nitrokb -> Lots of on-road nitro & eletric action + some off-road as well
My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nitrokb/
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:22 PM   #7313
Tech Adept
 
nitro_moe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Unhappy with the car? How come?
I don't know if you recall, but we have a small conversation in the Kyosho thread a while back. To be really honest, I'm sick and tired of the gear stripping problem. I've been on your site(nitrokb.com), really loved it, and tried every solution mentioned in it for this problem. Somehow it keeps huanting me. So far I've stripped 17 gears since buying the car(4 months ago) with a maximum record of 6 in one day.. I'm not kidding..

Maybe I'm not qualified to set it properly,, that is my fault, I know. Seriously, I can't tolerate a car that needs to have it's gears set 99.99999% right or it won't last the day. There has to be a slight margin for human error or inexperience thought of in advance when designing the car. I won't blame Mugen because I have an MRX-4 for over a year now and it runs beautifully with no problems so far.

I will really miss the car and the way it handles,, but in my case I have to be a millionare to maintain it..
nitro_moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:57 PM   #7314
Tech Elite
 
rmdhawaii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,804
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_moe
I don't know if you recall, but we have a small conversation in the Kyosho thread a while back. To be really honest, I'm sick and tired of the gear stripping problem. I've been on your site(nitrokb.com), really loved it, and tried every solution mentioned in it for this problem. Somehow it keeps huanting me. So far I've stripped 17 gears since buying the car(4 months ago) with a maximum record of 6 in one day.. I'm not kidding..

Maybe I'm not qualified to set it properly,, that is my fault, I know. Seriously, I can't tolerate a car that needs to have it's gears set 99.99999% right or it won't last the day. There has to be a slight margin for human error or inexperience thought of in advance when designing the car. I won't blame Mugen because I have an MRX-4 for over a year now and it runs beautifully with no problems so far.

I will really miss the car and the way it handles,, but in my case I have to be a millionare to maintain it..
Sorry. Now I remember. I respond to too many posts...

Yeah, that's a good enough reason alright. In my case, I would probably pick the car up off the pit table and fling it across the track, swearing my head off in the process.
__________________
Nitro Knowledge Base: http://nitrokb.netne.net
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/nitrokb -> Lots of on-road nitro & eletric action + some off-road as well
My Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nitrokb/
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:16 AM   #7315
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_moe
I don't know if you recall, but we have a small conversation in the Kyosho thread a while back. To be really honest, I'm sick and tired of the gear stripping problem. I've been on your site(nitrokb.com), really loved it, and tried every solution mentioned in it for this problem. Somehow it keeps huanting me. So far I've stripped 17 gears since buying the car(4 months ago) with a maximum record of 6 in one day.. I'm not kidding..

Maybe I'm not qualified to set it properly,, that is my fault, I know. Seriously, I can't tolerate a car that needs to have it's gears set 99.99999% right or it won't last the day. There has to be a slight margin for human error or inexperience thought of in advance when designing the car. I won't blame Mugen because I have an MRX-4 for over a year now and it runs beautifully with no problems so far.

I will really miss the car and the way it handles,, but in my case I have to be a millionare to maintain it..
Let me help you :

1. Replace all 3x8mm screws ( rear bulkhead + engine mounting ) with 3x10mm screws. Some parts can accept 3x12mm, its better but not necessary.
2. Dremel the chassis where the clutchbell meet the chassis.
3. Dremel the engine brace ( the plastic that connects rear bulkhead to upper deck ) because the engine brace is touching 2nd speed housing adapter.
4. Increase the height of rear stabiliser because the stabiliser touch the 2nd speed housing.
5. Increase pinion size by 1 tooth.
6. Always clean and re-oil the three bearings inside clutch bell before playing / racing.
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #7316
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Let me help you :

1. Replace all 3x8mm screws ( rear bulkhead + engine mounting ) with 3x10mm screws. Some parts can accept 3x12mm, its better but not necessary.
2. Dremel the chassis where the clutchbell meet the chassis.
3. Dremel the engine brace ( the plastic that connects rear bulkhead to upper deck ) because the engine brace is touching 2nd speed housing adapter.
4. Increase the height of rear stabiliser because the stabiliser touch the 2nd speed housing.
5. Increase pinion size by 1 tooth.
6. Always clean and re-oil the three bearings inside clutch bell before playing / racing.
seems most of them prevents the shaft from shocking.
For point5, it means using even number of teeth pinion?
ThunderTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #7317
Tech Fanatic
 
kidDynomite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 928
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Just installed my Sato liteweight "Hardened" middle shaft.
Stock was 11.7 Grams
Sato's was 4.0 Grams

Well worth the nominal price too for aluminum parts vs ti , etc. I highly doubt it will ever break. Especially it being hardened style aluminum.
AI, here are some other weight specs for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidD
...it's been a while, but I had weighed the Ti screws before installing and then as I pulled the stock screws off I placed them on the scale. If I remember correctly, the stock screws weighed in at about 89-90g. And the Ti's were about 40-45g. But I decided to use aluminum screws for mounting the spur gears and for the diff housings to reduce rotating mass. So I lost a few more g's there as well. I would suggest not to use Ti screws for your engine mounts.

For you weight weenies, here are a few other misc. weight specs I did record:

Stock Main Shaft = 22g vs. Sato Hollow Shaft = 14g
Stock Front Shaft = 12g vs. Sato Shaft = 4g
Mugen Option Brake Disc = 13g vs. PDub Fiber Glass Disc = 3g

I previously drilled out the stock 1st & 2nd gear housings, which weigh as much as the Kawahara's 1st & 2nd. I also milled out the stock pulley adaptors which knocked off 2g per piece. The stock brake pulley adaptor lost 3g and now weighs the same as the Kfactory. Drilled out the spur gears and lost 1.5g per gear. As far as the pulley adaptors go, just buy the MSRs. Trying to lighten the stock ones was a pain to loose significant weigh and keep it balanced at the same time. Plus you'll need a mill, drill press, a prop or wheel balance tool if you do it yourself.
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:51 PM   #7318
Tech Adept
 
nitro_moe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Let me help you :

1. Replace all 3x8mm screws ( rear bulkhead + engine mounting ) with 3x10mm screws. Some parts can accept 3x12mm, its better but not necessary.
2. Dremel the chassis where the clutchbell meet the chassis.
3. Dremel the engine brace ( the plastic that connects rear bulkhead to upper deck ) because the engine brace is touching 2nd speed housing adapter.
4. Increase the height of rear stabiliser because the stabiliser touch the 2nd speed housing.
5. Increase pinion size by 1 tooth.
6. Always clean and re-oil the three bearings inside clutch bell before playing / racing.
Thanks for the reply asw,,

Sorry If my technical knowledge is not as vast as many members here. But what exactly do you mean by dremel?? I assume it's a machine involved term,, right??

If so,, can you kindly provide a pic of such a machine or process??

I hope i'm not asking for too much here, but I really appreciatte the help so far..
nitro_moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #7319
Tech Master
 
Car Breaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Grave Yard
Posts: 1,261
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro_moe
Thanks for the reply asw,,

Sorry If my technical knowledge is not as vast as many members here. But what exactly do you mean by dremel?? I assume it's a machine involved term,, right??

If so,, can you kindly provide a pic of such a machine or process??

I hope i'm not asking for too much here, but I really appreciatte the help so far..
Dremel is a brand of multi purpose rotary tool. it is now use as "use rotary tool to remove some material from object according to your need "
__________________
Xray X12 2015
ARC R10 ATS
Car Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:12 PM   #7320
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 4,148
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher
Default

Hey guys!!

I finally got my car cleaned up and it is now listed in the for sale forum. The parts are listed in the same thread. It is not an inexpensive car or parts lot, but it is a very good deal...
__________________
| Capricorn | Ybslow | Proline-Protoform | Johnny Bravo Racing | Desoto Racing | Murnan Modified | Matrix Tires | Powermaster Fuel |
Scott Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MUGEN MBX5R/MUGEN MBX5T PROSPEC/TRAXXAS RACE REVO Jason Halvorson R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 01-12-2008 10:32 AM
Mugen 5T Chassis, Mugen 46 Tooth Pinion, Associated Ride Height Gauge bretzkej R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 08-19-2007 06:31 PM
USA's Most Wanted FOR SALE Mugen MBX5R,Losi 8 comp, and Mugen MBX5T Prospec Truggy nobike R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 69 04-28-2007 07:45 PM
Another MTX3 prospec w lots of parts and an optional Mugen X12 w Mugen pipe Scott Fisher R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 11-21-2005 05:45 PM
drake xxx nt and mugen mst-1+extras......Looking for a kanai 2 or maybe mugen buggy [email protected] R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-30-2003 09:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 01:57 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net