R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #7111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvadoriRacing
a commom mistake which wasn't mentioned on nitrokb.com is the brake travel of the throtlle servo..........

sometimes the racers make their servos travel too much during braking action, this causes the spring of throthle linkage to be fully compressed, after that, every mm of travel causes chassi tweaking and pushes the engine backwards, which forces pinions against spurs and then the 2nd spurgear is stripped up........
Exactly! I noticed the brake action when I was adjusting my throttle servo as well. It's easy to check this with the engine off. Another thing too, is flip over your car and look at your engine mount screws. Are the screws all nice and parallel and perpendicular to the rear shaft? If it's crooked, that may also be a contributing factor.

Yeah, I need to update the site with my own notes. I will probably create a section just for the gear stripping problem.
Kyosho V-ONE RRR WC (x2) \ XRAY T2'007 \ Also owned: XRAY NT1 & Mugen MTX-4
rmdhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:10 PM   #7112

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

What do you guys think in regards to the aluminum rear brace/side stiffner/engine brace (lots of names) as a fix for some of the chassis flexing around the spur and pinions?

Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:13 PM   #7113
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

I would not use it. I had one on my car and I am quite sure that it has less flex than the plastic. The reason I would not use it: I got into a wreck and it bent. Once bent it doesn't bend back so the entire car was now twisted. I had to trash the brace. I really did not have a lot of spur gear problems. Especially after I stopped using 52t spurs.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:14 PM   #7114
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
What do you guys think in regards to the aluminum rear brace/side stiffner/engine brace (lots of names) as a fix for some of the chassis flexing around the spur and pinions?

I went thru 2 of the aluminum brace, I don't know how but it bends after a couple of times running the car and it cost the gears to strip even more.

RMD,
I notice you also have a RRR, how is it? maybe I should get one and retire my G4. also I am planning to get the 720, there are so many hop ups available that makes me wants to get one. what do you think?
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:23 PM   #7115

Which ones were you guys using?
Old 01-24-2007, 12:30 PM   #7116
Tech Elite

Quote:
I think an aluminum rear brace is a good idea, for the reasons you stated above. My MTX-4 has a slotted brace like the one pictured above - and based on what Scott said, I can certainly understand how it could get bent in a crash. A solid one would probably be better (like the ones for the RRR).

For Scott and Scarlet - What brand of brace are you using? Not all braces are of the same quality.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:34 PM   #7117
Tech Elite

Last edited by rmdhawaii; 01-28-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:39 PM   #7118

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
I think an aluminum rear brace is a good idea, for the reasons you stated above. My MTX-4 has a slotted brace like the one pictured above - and based on what Scott said, I can certainly understand how it could get bent in a crash. A solid one would probably be better (like the ones for the RRR).

For Scott and Scarlet - What brand of brace are you using? Not all braces are of the same quality.
Yeah because ive purchased the solid one (3racing and yeah racing make it).

If not im going to machine some ti ones for me. Simple as that.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 01-24-2007 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 12:45 PM   #7119
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

The brace I had was not a solid piece. I think it was a skyline brace, but I don't remember for certain. I retired it pretty quickly and went back to using the stock part.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #7120
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I agree with Scott. When I put in a 52 spur there are some issues. But with the 53 I can run entire weekends (hours of running time) and not replace a single spur. I have heard this complaint and concern over and over on this and other threads. Mostly stripping is an "operator error". Everyone out there needs to make sure their care is cared for and in working order before complaining of a "manufacturer defect".

The MTX4 is easily the most durable reliable nitro I have run over the past 9 years of racing.

Do the things others have suggested on this and other sites in regards to motor position, gear split, brake disc, servo travel and so on and you will not strip gears. Oh another thing....... STAY OFF THE BOARDS!!!!
Bigbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #7121

I dont want to step on any toes , but Id say it was manufacturer fault at least partially. Perhaps not defect , but in design. There seems to be far and many things that need to be done to get the gear to not strip. Doesnt seem to be any one thing. Other cars dont have this trouble , so in that. Id say it was manufacturer fault and the user is the one thats fixing it. Perhaps if all nitro cars suffered this odd problem , then yes. But its on this chassis alone.

A car should be able to perform without worry or noticable work being done to monitor something.

But that all aside the car from what I hear is great and not many cars come without needing some ironing here and there.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 01-24-2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #7122
Tech Elite

I would say, that there are "best practices" to avoid stripping the gears on an MTX-4, which are applicable to all cars. The guys who are stripping gears are adjusting their gear mesh, clutch, engine and engine mount differently than the guys that have never stripped gears. I think it's difficult for anyone here to troubleshoot someone else's cronic gear stripping problem, without knowing how the person is adjusting the aforementioned items. It's much easier to say, "Follow these procedures and let me know if you still have a problem", than it is to try and guess what the problem might be. If people followed the best practices - which I hope everyone will help me fine tune once I have it posted, then people won't have a problem.

Just my 2 cents..
Old 01-24-2007, 04:32 PM   #7123
Tech Fanatic

not faulty design

perhaps an additional sheet explaining the proper setup for 2 speed shoe space and the importance of the proper gear mesh, alignment, that's it
my car is stock, just fron unis and rear shock tower, and I'm using now the non prospec mtx3 brake disc, just so that the brake pads will last longer 'til they are replaced since the mtx3 is thicker

happy racing
Old 01-24-2007, 04:37 PM   #7124
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
I would say, that there are "best practices" to avoid stripping the gears on an MTX-4, which are applicable to all cars. The guys who are stripping gears are adjusting their gear mesh, clutch, engine and engine mount differently than the guys that have never stripped gears. I think it's difficult for anyone here to troubleshoot someone else's cronic gear stripping problem, without knowing how the person is adjusting the aforementioned items. It's much easier to say, "Follow these procedures and let me know if you still have a problem", than it is to try and guess what the problem might be. If people followed the best practices - which I hope everyone will help me fine tune once I have it posted, then people won't have a problem.

Just my 2 cents..
exactly!

by the way, for those mtx4 owners that don't mind using rrr parts
the 384 belt fits perfectly with the 24 pulley, in my case my stock belt is very old and still like new, just a litlle longer, no way I can use the 24t with it since it's loose, tried the k brand and works very fine, ran out of belts by the way so i have to try!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:44 PM   #7125
Tech Adept

Angry stripe gear shit

Quote:
I dont want to step on any toes , but Id say it was manufacturer fault at least partially. Perhaps not defect , but in design. There seems to be far and many things that need to be done to get the gear to not strip. Doesnt seem to be any one thing. Other cars dont have this trouble , so in that. Id say it was manufacturer fault and the user is the one thats fixing it. Perhaps if all nitro cars suffered this odd problem , then yes. But its on this chassis alone.

A car should be able to perform without worry or noticable work being done to monitor something.

But that all aside the car from what I hear is great and not many cars come without needing some ironing here and there.
Why hate on something you just got and attempting to build advice is only warranted from experience so hold your comments until it become your personal fact. Am tied of this stripe gear shit 1 check your end point on the radio and set the servo according if your engine shift while you are braking or accelerating then that cause this effect. 2
Make sure your engine is mounted tight to your chassis some time the vibration can loosen the engine screws and cause this effect
Am not having a go @ anyone but if you feel I disrespected you am sorry I just get piss reading about this stripe gear shit…one luv…

Last edited by madbeats; 01-24-2007 at 04:55 PM.
madbeats is offline   Reply With Quote