R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-10-2006, 11:38 PM   #6406
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ira
YBSLOW, AMEN on the LOCTITE!!!!!!!
Yeah, Ira helped me out with the stripped gear problem this season.
I know I had my theories in past posts, but did figure that on the 3mm, you do get a bit of tweak when you're babooned by a ... baboon. Or when you drive yourself into a wall or whatever like a baboon. That's the only time I've noticed that the gear starts looking chewed. Pinion pulls away and starts grinding the tips of the spur.

To add to YBSLOW's comments... after you mount your engine on the block(s), seal up the motor and run the block (stock or mono) on a flat block w/ sand paper to remove any anodize or old LOCTITE residue and also rough sand the chassis. This will help give you a good solid lockdown when you mount the engine in the car.
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:09 AM   #6407
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalus007
Just experienced my second gear spur stripping off last weekend… was considering replacing my spurs with the 3racing low friction delrin sprurs… are they any good or should I buy the mugen spur gears instead???

I’ve also noticed that something’s rubbing of my stock engine brace, not sure if it’s the 2 speed shoe or the 2nd gear housing itself… am thinking of replacing the engine brace with the kawahara engine brace… would this eliminate this problem??? Any comments on using this kawahara upgrade???

Here a pic of the kawahara engine brace:
It's a decent upgrade and adds a bit of stiffness to the chassis, especially when combined with the Kawhara radio plate support upgrade. I don't use the rubber rings though. I find it doesn't really change the way the car performs but your experience may differ.
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 01:21 AM   #6408
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Just experienced my second gear spur stripping off last weekend… was considering replacing my spurs with the 3racing low friction delrin sprurs… are they any good or should I buy the mugen spur gears instead???

I’ve also noticed that something’s rubbing of my stock engine brace, not sure if it’s the 2 speed shoe or the 2nd gear housing itself… am thinking of replacing the engine brace with the kawahara engine brace… would this eliminate this problem??? Any comments on using this kawahara upgrade???

Here a pic of the kawahara engine brace:
check the pinions for wear as when they get a little sharp that is one cause of stripping.
also check gear mesh too as this is critical.
oh and the hopp up brace will help too
Old 10-11-2006, 01:25 AM   #6409
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
and a good 2 cents i kinda do the same thing (and as you know i am the expert) lmgdao.
yes, that seems to be the rumour going round
Old 10-11-2006, 10:14 AM   #6410
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

thanks for all the replies and tips guys... very much appreciated...
Old 10-11-2006, 11:40 AM   #6411
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b
check the pinions for wear as when they get a little sharp that is one cause of stripping.
also check gear mesh too as this is critical.
oh and the hopp up brace will help too
could you guys elaborate or further explain on the pinions getting a little sharp... was thinking that when my second gear spur got stripped off, my pinions got a bit rounded rather that being a bit more sharp... although the pinions being sharper therefore causing the stripping makes more sense to me... are pinions getting sharper as they wear???
Old 10-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #6412
Tech Initiate

Default Need Opinion

Guys,

I have a picco nsr3 turbo motor and wondering if I should get a turbo pipe for it or can I use different tune pipe non turbo? I am leaning towards getting the skyline vr12, what do you guys think

Is it matter if I get a turbo or non turbo?
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:47 PM   #6413
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
could you guys elaborate or further explain on the pinions getting a little sharp... was thinking that when my second gear spur got stripped off, my pinions got a bit rounded rather that being a bit more sharp... although the pinions being sharper therefore causing the stripping makes more sense to me... are pinions getting sharper as they wear???
As the pinions wear the shape of the teeth change. They get thinner and sharper and this can make it easier to strip spur gears.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #6414
ira
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidDynomite
YBSLOW, Ira! How's it compare to other engines?

Ira, keep meaning to call you after work, but I always get tide up. What time do you usually get back from workout?
Hey Tommy, Give me a call any time. If I do not answer I will call you back.
Later

Last edited by ira; 10-23-2006 at 02:22 PM.
ira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 PM   #6415
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
As the pinions wear the shape of the teeth change. They get thinner and sharper and this can make it easier to strip spur gears.
SO on a RRR its very easy to strip the gears right.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 09:55 PM   #6416
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
SO on a RRR its very easy to strip the gears right.
I know when the teeth on the Mugen pinions wear they change shape and it can cause gear stripping. I have no idea if it is very easy to strip gears on the Kyosho. Why don't you tell me. You are the expert on everything.

BTW: Deathmetal suckzz
Old 10-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #6417
Tech Elite

Quote:
sorry about that,
yes, as the teeth wear down they get thinner until there is no flat spot left on the edge, thus "getting sharp"
when you're ready to fit new pinions and spurs, i can highly recomend the steel pinions.
after fitting my first set, after 200 minutes of running they still look like new.
very good wearing gears
Old 10-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #6418
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I know when the teeth on the Mugen pinions wear they change shape and it can cause gear stripping. I have no idea if it is very easy to strip gears on the Kyosho. Why don't you tell me. You are the expert on everything.

BTW: Deathmetal suckzz
Old 10-11-2006, 11:18 PM   #6419
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by going4#1
It's a decent upgrade and adds a bit of stiffness to the chassis, especially when combined with the Kawhara radio plate support upgrade. I don't use the rubber rings though. I find it doesn't really change the way the car performs but your experience may differ.
Where does the O rings go?
Old 10-12-2006, 12:47 AM   #6420
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyU
Where does the O rings go?
Underneath both ends of the chassis brace. On the top the screw holes are beveled out to allow a flathead screw to hold the brace to the car.
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote