R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2006, 04:46 AM   #6151
Tech Elite
 
Slo-MTX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
i found and i could be wrong but if your traction rolling the tiner chassis will help this the thiker ones make the car more dieled.
I was of the understanding that a 3mm chassis will create more grip because they flex more, if this is the case that would be why you would run a 4mm on this track as this track grips up very well once it cools a bit.
__________________
Podified Picco/MRX5/Futaba/Savox

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #6152
Tech Addict
 
jhigga15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami
Posts: 513
Default

Any one got a stable setup for this car. I don't have a hudy so please try to make it as simple as possible.
Thanks
jhigga15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:27 AM   #6153
Tech Champion
 
asw7576's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhigga15
Any one got a stable setup for this car. I don't have a hudy so please try to make it as simple as possible.
Thanks
How we can give you a setup if you don't have the basic tools to measure ? ...... you need set up tools to tune your car in 1 mm or 1 degree increments.

Team SpeedMind and Team Magic have cheaper set up tools.

http://www.speedmind.net/Tools.htm

http://www.teammagic.com.tw
__________________
On Road : Xray NT1 , RX8 , T4 || Mugen Seiki MRX4-R , MTX4 , MTX3 prospec || Tamiya M03 , M04 || Top Racing Sabre FD2
Off Road : Xray XT8 || Hobao Hyper 8
Radio : Futaba 3PKS || KO propo EX-10 eurus
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:05 AM   #6154
Tech Elite
 
raffaelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Land of the Free, Home of the Brave
Posts: 2,924
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

It is actually quite easy. On a 60mm tire, every 1/16th of an inch (+/- 1.5 mm) is about 1 degree as measured through the axle. You can gauge toe, caster, camber that way. Get a ruler, 200mm is just about 7 7/8 inches.

But for sure, setup tools are easier.
__________________
24ITA
raffaelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:14 PM   #6155
Tech Elite
 
wallyedmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brampton ont canada
Posts: 3,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo-MTX4
I was of the understanding that a 3mm chassis will create more grip because they flex more, if this is the case that would be why you would run a 4mm on this track as this track grips up very well once it cools a bit.
its kinda hard for me to explain, on high grip the thiner chassis will flex yes but i find that the car will be slower and not traction roll that easy,but on high speed tracks the car is harder to drive,with the thicker chassis the car is more on the springs and not the chassis and if you use to hard of a spring you will traction roll.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:46 PM   #6156
Tech Elite
 
Slo-MTX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
its kinda hard for me to explain, on high grip the thiner chassis will flex yes but i find that the car will be slower and not traction roll that easy,but on high speed tracks the car is harder to drive,with the thicker chassis the car is more on the springs and not the chassis and if you use to hard of a spring you will traction roll.
But a harder spring wont allow the chassis to roll as much creating less grip there fore less chance of traction roll. And yes the track is a high speed track hence the reason you would use the 4mm chassis.
__________________
Podified Picco/MRX5/Futaba/Savox

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 05:01 PM   #6157
Tech Elite
 
wallyedmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brampton ont canada
Posts: 3,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo-MTX4
But a harder spring wont allow the chassis to roll as much creating less grip there fore less chance of traction roll. And yes the track is a high speed track hence the reason you would use the 4mm chassis.
you would think that but thats not how it works,on high grip and if your a ok to good driver go with 4mm mugen 1st then kanack chassis and a lighter spring will help in not to traction roll the springs the mugen guys allmost allways run is the light blue and there light,if you go to a heavier spring it will traction roll cuz the car has no side movment or not enuff,think of a family car it roll side to side alot,now a M5 its a more sporty car that can corrner a lot better and has less side to side roll BUT and iv seen this if you put realy realy hard springs on it the car can and will roll over now the family car is easier to drive and the M5 needs more attention to drive and the one with the realy hard springs you need 2 hands on the wheel at all times.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:01 PM   #6158
Tech Elite
 
Slo-MTX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4
Default

Ok well think of it like this a drift car has rock hard springs on it, why? so that it doesnt grip up, they dont want traction they want to slide. If you put soft springs on you allow the chassis to roll more therefore transfering more wieght to the tyres thus creating more grip. Then it also comes back to tyre compund choice and diameter.
__________________
Podified Picco/MRX5/Futaba/Savox

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:40 PM   #6159
Tech Elite
 
wallyedmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brampton ont canada
Posts: 3,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo-MTX4
Ok well think of it like this a drift car has rock hard springs on it, why? so that it doesnt grip up, they dont want traction they want to slide. If you put soft springs on you allow the chassis to roll more therefore transfering more wieght to the tyres thus creating more grip. Then it also comes back to tyre compund choice and diameter.
yes and they run very hard tires and there very low to the ground and you cant realy drive them on the road well you can but there a hand full and they dont realy go that fast,they drive on kinda short tracks.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:41 PM   #6160
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 34
Default MUGEN SEIKI Website is Down

is it just me, why the web site of mugen is always hard to connect, pages not loading properly.
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:44 PM   #6161
Tech Elite
 
wallyedmonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brampton ont canada
Posts: 3,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBop
is it just me, why the web site of mugen is always hard to connect, pages not loading properly.
cuz SO MANY PPL READ THIS THREAD
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:35 PM   #6162
Tech Elite
 
Slo-MTX4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 2,479
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
yes and they run very hard tires and there very low to the ground and you cant realy drive them on the road well you can but there a hand full and they dont realy go that fast,they drive on kinda short tracks.
I wasnt refering to the RC version. If you go and look at the photo of fukuda's car on the worlds thread you will see they were running stock springs which as you know are only one step up from the softest spring mugen make. i understand what you are saying but nearly everyone was using either 42 or 45 shore tyres and they were still having trouble with traction rolling. So the next logical step would be harder springs.
__________________
Podified Picco/MRX5/Futaba/Savox

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:54 PM   #6163
Tag
Tech Master
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arcadia CA
Posts: 1,589
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

what you guys' thought on the 4mm chassis ? i recently purchased one from 3 racing, i have yet to install but a little hasitate. i ve always thought that a thicker chassis could increase the overall rigidity of the car , but some of you mentioned a interesting thought on staying with 3mm as it allows chassis to " flex " hence increase traction during turns ? this is totally against my understanding could someone enlighten me on this ?

also will 4mm chassis alter the geometry of the car in any way ? i would think i probablly need to work on shock lengths and right heights but anything else ?
__________________
* Serpent 966 TE Novarossi 35+21, Airtronics M12 *
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:03 AM   #6164
Tech Elite
 
Racing4Evo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,118
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag
what you guys' thought on the 4mm chassis ? i recently purchased one from 3 racing, i have yet to install but a little hasitate. i ve always thought that a thicker chassis could increase the overall rigidity of the car , but some of you mentioned a interesting thought on staying with 3mm as it allows chassis to " flex " hence increase traction during turns ? this is totally against my understanding could someone enlighten me on this ?

also will 4mm chassis alter the geometry of the car in any way ? i would think i probablly need to work on shock lengths and right heights but anything else ?
The chassis flexing acts like its own spring. What the suspension is doing can not account for all the movements of the car so the chassis flexing accounts for the other forces acting on the car. Just take a look at pan cars in electric. The Rear pod is allowed to flex, a lot I might add, but people don't really think about that as part of the chassis when in reality it very much is.

Changing to a 4mm chassis will change the roll center of the car and probably the center of gravity since you are essentially moving everything up. If it's milled down though to 3mm in essential areas such as where the front and rear suspensions are bolted down the the chassis which in most cases are the bulkheads,then you can retain the same suspension geometry.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:06 AM   #6165
Tag
Tech Master
 
Tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Arcadia CA
Posts: 1,589
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

so "chassis flex" is not a bad thing afterall ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing4Evo
The chassis flexing acts like its own spring. What the suspension is doing can not account for all the movements of the car so the chassis flexing accounts for the other forces acting on the car. Just take a look at pan cars in electric. The Rear pod is allowed to flex, a lot I might add, but people don't really think about that as part of the chassis when in reality it very much is.
__________________
* Serpent 966 TE Novarossi 35+21, Airtronics M12 *
Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MUGEN MBX5R/MUGEN MBX5T PROSPEC/TRAXXAS RACE REVO Jason Halvorson R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 14 01-12-2008 10:32 AM
Mugen 5T Chassis, Mugen 46 Tooth Pinion, Associated Ride Height Gauge bretzkej R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 1 08-19-2007 06:31 PM
USA's Most Wanted FOR SALE Mugen MBX5R,Losi 8 comp, and Mugen MBX5T Prospec Truggy nobike R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 69 04-28-2007 07:45 PM
Another MTX3 prospec w lots of parts and an optional Mugen X12 w Mugen pipe Scott Fisher R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 11 11-21-2005 05:45 PM
drake xxx nt and mugen mst-1+extras......Looking for a kanai 2 or maybe mugen buggy [email protected] R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 5 06-30-2003 09:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:46 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net