R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-29-2006, 09:28 AM   #5581
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMGRacer
I am building my MTX4 and when assembling the brake disc onto the carrier I noticed that there is no play, it is TIGHT. Is this normal?
Are you talking about there's no play between the 3 pin piece that holds the brake disk or the fit of disk between the brake pads? If is the first, try to ream a little the holes just to enlarge them. If is the second, sand the brake pads just to make space for rotating freely.

As told you, better to ditch those disk and use a beefier one (still using the same enneti brake rotor from many years ago, doesn't warp and brakes great - Still Manti approved. ). Didn't liked the Kawahara on the past (used one and the holes that holds it elongated due to braking forces).

Also, depending what you will use it, switch the brake pads. If using front diff, go to the blue brake pads (off-road ones) they will not fade when wet and still brake great. If using front-one way, go with the teflon ones (T0314).

Check too that plate that goes over the bulkheads and holds the brake pads doesn't have flash (if still tight, file it a little just to widen it).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #5582
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corse-R
Are you talking about there's no play between the 3 pin piece that holds the brake disk or the fit of disk between the brake pads? If is the first, try to ream a little the holes just to enlarge them. If is the second, sand the brake pads just to make space for rotating freely.

As told you, better to ditch those disk and use a beefier one (still using the same enneti brake rotor from many years ago, doesn't warp and brakes great - Still Manti approved. ). Didn't liked the Kawahara on the past (used one and the holes that holds it elongated due to braking forces).

Also, depending what you will use it, switch the brake pads. If using front diff, go to the blue brake pads (off-road ones) they will not fade when wet and still brake great. If using front-one way, go with the teflon ones (T0314).

Check too that plate that goes over the bulkheads and holds the brake pads doesn't have flash (if still tight, file it a little just to widen it).
Its the first you described. I will run the car to break it in a little and then ream it out as suggested by everybody. The Enneti brake disc does look very good I might invest in one of these.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #5583
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

The teflon pads are great. I have my brake set very weak. Just enough to change the weight of the car. With the stock pads, I would start to feel the brake fading. With the teflon pads, there's a constate resistance from start to finish.
mgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:43 PM   #5584
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Anyone here run on the Kissimmee Track and could provide me with a starting setup?
Old 07-30-2006, 12:21 AM   #5585
Tech Elite

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreen
The teflon pads are great. I have my brake set very weak. Just enough to change the weight of the car. With the stock pads, I would start to feel the brake fading. With the teflon pads, there's a constate resistance from start to finish.
these are great,and i just use the thin little lite disc,cuz you ask the bigger one hits the carb on my EVO3,and it weighs a ton.and i dont use breaks that much,the teflon ones makes the disc slide more freely when driving,and all you need is to get a small little round file and file the disc a little just so it slides on the pines freely.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:01 AM   #5586
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
these are great,and i just use the thin little lite disc,cuz you ask the bigger one hits the carb on my EVO3,and it weighs a ton.and i dont use breaks that much,the teflon ones makes the disc slide more freely when driving,and all you need is to get a small little round file and file the disc a little just so it slides on the pines freely.
Yep... the main problem is the brake fading, people running with front diff and using extensively the brake blame about brake fading with the blue ones, that's why the switch to a bigger brake disk.

The one I use is a great unit, is lighter than the Mugen Optional (is made from solid billet), vented and hollowed.

Some previously posted photos, just to see how looks:

- Brake rotor installed on my MTX3:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...chmentid=13143

- This is how looks (side view):
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...chmentid=11037

- Look (front size):
http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...achmentid=9126

'Main tradeoff' is the need of removing 1.5mm of diameter to not hit on the Sirio carb, but done it and this is the result... The disk is at max useable diameter (doesn't hit anywhere). Look at the file attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Mugen MTX-4-brakerotor-mtx4.jpg  
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Old 07-30-2006, 01:28 AM   #5587
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

are the ennetti brake rotors still available as you mentioned that your rotor is many years old?
cheers
joe
Old 07-30-2006, 02:01 AM   #5588
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b
are the ennetti brake rotors still available as you mentioned that your rotor is many years old?
cheers
joe
On April I bought one for my MRX4-R, so.. there are available
Old 07-30-2006, 05:38 AM   #5589
Tech Elite

where can i get one and how did you make it smaller
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:46 AM   #5590
Tech Elite

Quote:
ditto, and a part number would be great, or even a link
Old 07-30-2006, 08:12 AM   #5591
Tech Elite

Quote:
Basically, any LHS with Enneti tyres should be able to access and get one for yours.

Did it smaller on a lathe.

A link to the manufacturer website:

http://enneti.blitzportal.it/default.asp?id=8&mnu=8
Old 07-30-2006, 10:24 AM   #5592
Tech Elite

Quote:
Basically, any LHS with Enneti tyres should be able to access and get one for yours.

Did it smaller on a lathe.

A link to the manufacturer website:

http://enneti.blitzportal.it/default.asp?id=8&mnu=8
thanks corse, i might get the 2 speed gear as well, looks like quality stuff
i know the importers of ennetti tyres in australia so they should be able to help me out
cheers
joe
Old 07-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #5593
Tech Champion

Quote:
'Main tradeoff' is the need of removing 1.5mm of diameter to not hit on the Sirio carb, but done it and this is the result... The disk is at max useable diameter (doesn't hit anywhere). Look at the file attached.
Pay attention to upper plate ( where the brake lever sit ). Check for scratches underneath the plate.

Once I use MTX3 Prospec brake disc rotor and it touch the bottom and side of the upper plate. Furthermore it almost touch the carburator, so I give up using it and back to standard disc. I know the look is less fancy but it saves some weight and I don't use brake very often.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:32 PM   #5594
Tech Champion

Quote:
Yeah, I also want to know how did he make 1.5mm less diameter.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #5595
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I know it is not the most professional way to do it, but it could easily be chucked into a dremel. Then you could just use a file to cut it down to whatever diameter you want it to be.