R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-05-2006, 12:54 PM   #4891
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR
Hi chookgb

we've actually change to a new pinion...
and it stripped again...

could it be the quality of the spurs?
First, make sure the main shaft bearings are in good conditions. Second, please make sure the rear bulkhead where the bearing sit are also in good condition. Third, use longer screws 3x10mm to hold the rear bulkhead even stronger. Fourth, use longer screws 3x10 and 3x12 to hold engine mounting.
Fifth, always remove the first spur gear to see the gear mesh on the second gear. Many racer forget that, and they be surprised to see the gap on the 2nd gear. Spin it and you are good to go.

Any other things to check are the three screws that sandwich the spur gears and alluminium spur gear holder.

I never have stripped gear at all with mtx3 or mtx4.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #4892
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey guys can someone tell me where the mtx4,rrr,g4s have there strong points over the other car, i have owned the mtx3 and the g4 never a rrr. Im interested in the input of racers that have ran and competed against these cars.
mugenb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:34 PM   #4893
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

I have stripped several 2nd gears with the mtx4 but it was due to the bearing in the 2nd gear housing being loose and sliding out of the housing causing the gear to only have a small amount running on the pinion.

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:04 PM   #4894
Tech Adept

Default gear stripping

Check to make sure your rear sway bar links are at least 38mm long.

Mike Huse

MugenSeiki USA
mhuse6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #4895
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugenb46
hey guys can someone tell me where the mtx4,rrr,g4s have there strong points over the other car, i have owned the mtx3 and the g4 never a rrr. Im interested in the input of racers that have ran and competed against these cars.
Here is my opinion for handling performance ( based on what I see in race track during race event )

1. RRR WC
2. MTX4 or G4S ( doesn't matter )

However, RRR have problem with stripping 2nd gear. When it does, expect to replace rear bulkhead and 2 speed system.

MTX4 is the least problematic cars.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:40 AM   #4896
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan
What I see often, is that people adjust their pinions and spurs and the 1st gear is fine, but the engine is mounted at an angle and they have way too much play on 2nd gear.

It's a good idea, to take 1st gear spur off, adjust the gap on 2nd gear and the put 1st gear back on and fine adjust.

I haven't stripped a spur yet doing this.
this advise is fine but most people are doing just that and this helps but is not the cause of the problem as the mesh on the mtx-3 could be set a little loose or tight or at an angle with never a stripping problem so as i say the mesh will help but will not solve the problem the problem is caused by flex which has been admitted by kenji osaka previosly quoted on this thread
chookgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 01:00 AM   #4897
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookgb
this advise is fine but most people are doing just that and this helps but is not the cause of the problem as the mesh on the mtx-3 could be set a little loose or tight or at an angle with never a stripping problem so as i say the mesh will help but will not solve the problem the problem is caused by flex which has been admitted by kenji osaka previosly quoted on this thread
There is no better way to prevent stripping other than checking the gear mesh on 2nd gear first.

You need to add 0.1mm or 0.2mm shim between the pin and bearing on the main shaft ( see seisick reply ). The 2nd gear housing actually touch the rear bulkhead bar.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:07 AM   #4898
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
There is no better way to prevent stripping other than checking the gear mesh on 2nd gear first.

You need to add 0.1mm or 0.2mm shim between the pin and bearing on the main shaft ( see seisick reply ). The 2nd gear housing actually touch the rear bulkhead bar.
this reply is like a well worn record gear mesh gear mesh gear mesh even after stripping you can put the new gears on remove the 1st gear and the mesh has not changed from the original perfect setting so again good advice but not a prevention
Old 06-06-2006, 01:19 AM   #4899
Tech Champion

Quote:
this reply is like a well worn record gear mesh gear mesh gear mesh even after stripping you can put the new gears on remove the 1st gear and the mesh has not changed from the original perfect setting so again good advice but not a prevention
Please read seisick or my earlier post. To prevent from another gear mesh mishap, you need to beef up the rear bulkheads with longer screws ( use tooth pick to measure depth ).
Old 06-06-2006, 05:22 AM   #4900
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
I know four guys that are all running modded engines and myself with none of us stripping gears. I know this is something that you don't want to hear but the MTX-4 does not have a issue with stripping gears. I have ran two gallons of 30% thru the car with out stripping one gear. I have destroyed plenty of belts but not gears.

Put the mesh tight and if it touches in one or two spots let it go like that, it will spin free after two minutes of running.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:27 AM   #4901
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
I know four guys that are all running modded engines and myself with none of us stripping gears. I know this is something that you don't want to hear but the MTX-4 does not have a issue with stripping gears. I have ran two gallons of 30% thru the car with out stripping one gear. I have destroyed plenty of belts but not gears.

Put the mesh tight and if it touches in one or two spots let it go like that, it will spin free after two minutes of running.
if the car has no issue with stripping why would you suggest to run the mesh tight
Old 06-06-2006, 05:32 AM   #4902
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Maybe the gears are not perfectly round, not sure on that one but trust me that I don't think you will have a problem if you set it that way. You will come back after a run and the mesh will be perfect.
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 06:23 AM   #4903
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default well

well i had hoped it wouldn't happen ,but someone on the serpent 720 thread has drawn first blood !
isuzuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:04 AM   #4904
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
wow i am really suprised at all the people stripping gears. i have only ever striped one 2nd gear because my engine mount threaded a screw and did not hold properly.

with my stock chassis i had installed the following;

-skyline rear baulk brace metal
-skyline rear baulk alloy brace (the one that goes from one baulk to the other and holds the sway bar)
-skyline one peice engine mount.

i also now have a knack racing 4mm chassis.

never stripped a gear..except for once when it was like is aid above, user error.

I ALSO USE THE LITTLE WASHERS ON THE ENGINE TO THE ONE PEICE MOUNT.
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #4905
Tech Master

1st time i stripped a gear when my 1st gear housing lock up and i can get it out...... any body know how?

yah mike
this sat everybody should sweep the track
dg8one is offline   Reply With Quote