R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-19-2006, 10:54 PM   #4411
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Fisher
I honestly don't know as I have never run a spool. My guess would be yes, but I will see Swauger in a few hours and ask him.
I asked Mike and he said he would definitely try a spool with bumpy low traction conditions.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #4412
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy b
will this be a good thig on the car for a bumpy low grip track?
Myself and Harry Hananouchi have runned the spool on our MTX-4's on a low traction condition track. Our cars were dialed. It made the car so easy to drive, but remember this, you have to change your style of drivng when converting over to a one-way or a spool. You cannot drive a spool the same way as if you were to drive a car with a one-way.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:06 PM   #4413
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
Myself and Harry Hananouchi have runned the spool on our MTX-4's on a low traction condition track. Our cars were dialed. It made the car so easy to drive, but remember this, you have to change your style of drivng when converting over to a one-way or a spool. You cannot drive a spool the same way as if you were to drive a car with a one-way.
How should a spool be driven? Im currently running 100k front/ 10k rear, what oil should I use in the rear if i change to a spool.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:47 AM   #4414
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
What is spool mean?
Joe Os is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:23 AM   #4415
Tech Rookie

Exclamation Drive train binding

Just wanted to know if the MTX-4 experiences drivetrain binding (small but noticeable drag) when turning the wheels to make a turn?
tongski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:33 AM   #4416
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Os
What is spool mean?
Spool=solid front axle=locked diff
Old 04-20-2006, 01:45 AM   #4417
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 52 (98%+)
Default stripping 2nd gear 53t plastic

Do any of you guys have problem with 2nd gear stripping on the mtx4? I stripped 2 in just one day. I never stripe any gear on my mtx3.

Any way to solve this? I aleady raised my rear sway bar. I also make sure the gear mesh is set tight (taking the e clip off to check both 1st gear and 2nd gear mesh).

Someone suggests running the mtx3 two speed instead of the mtx4 two speed. Will that help?
straightaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:17 AM   #4418
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to speedy100

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightaway
Do any of you guys have problem with 2nd gear stripping on the mtx4? I stripped 2 in just one day. I never stripe any gear on my mtx3.

Any way to solve this? I aleady raised my rear sway bar. I also make sure the gear mesh is set tight (taking the e clip off to check both 1st gear and 2nd gear mesh).

Someone suggests running the mtx3 two speed instead of the mtx4 two speed. Will that help?
have you checked the 2 speed shaft is still in good shape ? there are many problems that made the gear strip.
speedy100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:37 AM   #4419
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Chris West

Quote:

ive only striped 1 gear which was a 2nd gear (and ive had the car since it was released), but thats because the engine moved, check that your mesh doesnt hae too much play on both gears, or are you using worn out aluminium pinoins? i dont see how the mtx3 2spd will make a difference
Old 04-20-2006, 04:59 AM   #4420
Tech Fanatic

has anyone tried setting up your mtx3 clutchbell (i have 5x10 bearings also) in the mtx4 using 1.0 pitch with the 16/20 pinions and 44/48 spur? if my calculations are right they will give a final gear similar to 17/24 on the mtx4. just asking cuz I still have my spurs and pinions from my now 2 year old non prospec mtx3, and will try them with lots of used foams with diameter too small for the mtx4 gearing. also cuz those gearings are very durable compared to the 0.8 pitch.
FYI
NINJA .12 availables in the second week of may!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:22 AM   #4421
Tech Adept

Smile

Quote:

Make sure your running a total of 3 bearings. Two on the inside of the clutchbell and one on the other. Take a look at installing the clutchbell to the motor in the instruction manual. I was running only 2 bearings and I think that had a play in why I would always strip 2nd gear.
mgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:21 AM   #4422
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu
How should a spool be driven? Im currently running 100k front/ 10k rear, what oil should I use in the rear if i change to a spool.
Spool is the ticket for low traction tracks. I was able to take tighter lines than the diff or one-way guys. Depending on traction, I would even try a 5k and 7k rear diff. It'll help keep the rear from coming around. Also try 40wt-50wt (400-500) shock oil. It'll help let the car roll better, thus give more traction through the turns. Also try a stiffer rear sway bar and run the front sway flat. Driving style is different, but easier to drive for those conditions. Lot-trac tracks will make a one-way car more squirley when braking at the end of the straights. Spool will help you position the car better through the turns on-power with having to do less lifting. Just remember not to hit anything. Spools do a lot of wear on the front belt, and a locked front diff means there's no give on the universals. They will be stressed on impact and may bend or snap.

If you choose to go diff, 100k up front and 5-10k in the rear works pretty good too with no worries to the universals.
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:35 AM   #4423
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
Clutch Question:

Im running an OS .12 TZ, are you guys running a shim behind the collet on the crank?
Hey D, I haven't tried that engine with the Mugen clutch, but check with these guys at:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=98745
kidDynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #4424
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbt3
Clutch Question:

Im running an OS .12 TZ, are you guys running a shim behind the collet on the crank?
On my MTX I use a JP engine and do not use a shim behind the collet. I do use one with my 960 though. The difference is in the number of shims required later when setting up your clutch. Without it you'll need more, with it you'll need less. Some racers do not like putting a shim in front of the front bearing because they believe it's bad for the bearing. I haven't had that experience but I would suppose there are those who have had at least one bad experience so they don't use a shim.
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #4425
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

Quote:

I had no end of trouble of stripping 2d gears on this car but what i found was that the bearing in the 2nd gear housing was loose in the housing causing the gear to move out towards 1st gear leaving only a small amount of the gear on the pinion. Got a new housing where the bearing doesnt move and no more stripped gears.

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote