R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-20-2006, 12:18 PM   #3481
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576
Good tips

Another way to avoid traction roll is increasing the front track width eg. 200mm ( and/or reduce rear track width eg. 199mm ).
And sometimes with the car at 199mm width, handles like sh*t. Specially on tight tracks or tracks where you need a quick response and change of direction.

Ways to cope with traction roll are:

- Smaller diameter of tyres (shave the outer side of the tire with a rounded shape).
- Lower the ride height of the car (I've run the MTX3 up to 4mm high). That's why I missed the rear upstops.
- Stiffer hidraulics along stiffer springs.
- Camber on the front external wheel.
- Stiffer roll bars.

And... if the track allows it (most of the turns to the same side), put on the front external wheel something harder (i.e: Fr. 40 interior, 42 ext and 40 int/ext at the rear).
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:07 PM   #3482
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am just ready to do some nitro racing. Being in Chicago running electric for the last to months has totally crapped me out. I have spent more money on this crap than I will all year running Nitro. Aargh, is it spring time yet?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:42 PM   #3483
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz
Default upstops

You can use some fuel tubing or even some hard plastic that is drilled out and place it around the shock shaft. That way, when the shock compresses, it will keep it from coming up too high. I had them on my car and took them off. it is good for keeping the chassis from hitting the ground when running low ride height
Old 02-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #3484
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandeGixxer
I am just ready to do some nitro racing. Being in Chicago running electric for the last to months has totally crapped me out. I have spent more money on this crap than I will all year running Nitro. Aargh, is it spring time yet?
Hehehe....

I know your situation... Many come from the electric world and we know how expensive could be a season of electric racing, specially with those stupid 'EFRA Rules that will level the competition'...

My last electric season was simply outrageous (on 6 races, 9 electric motors were killed, batteries, brushes each 5 minute heat, etc...)... was the definitive to forget electric racing and switch to Nitro, who is expensive too, but less than electric racing.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #3485
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris West
does any one find any advantages out of any of the option parts that are available for the MTX-4 or are most of them just for bling. Ive got front universals, engine mount, rubber belts alround and steel pinoins
I find the car needs little improvement but there are some weak points. On the other hand, if you love model building there's nothing wrong with blinging the hell out of it. As long as bling doesn't take anything away, go for it. It's your car.

Parts I upgraded:

The plastic hex wheel mounts. What the hell was Mugen thinking? For me, the part I upgraded first.

Front CVDs. Upgrading them isn't a necessity but you will loose a lot few dogbones. Since the rear wheels do not turn left or right they don't need them as much but I think I might get a set anyway. I have rarely lost rear dogbones but that's no comfort. Lost is lost whether it happens rarely or not. You'd have to smash the car pretty hard to lose a CVD.

The rear shock tower. The Mugen part is too flexible and fragile. I've seen more than one person with a broken rear shock tower. The 710 had a similar weakness until fixed by Serpent. I've upgraded to the Kawahara part and it's definitely a step up. No flex and it's strong.

I haven't tried any of the option chassis but the Mugen one is a bit too thin in my experience. There seems to be a point 1/3 of the way from the rear of the car, just after where the engine sits, that seems to flex in a front end collision. I always carry a spare. Looking for the Kawahara part.

The side belt tensioner also needs some work.

I prefer a bladed rear anti-roll bar for easy adjustment but the Mugen one functions just as well.

Other parts? Pinion and spurs.

Suggest you try this. It definitely works for me:
http://rc-mushroom.com/product_info....oducts_id=7280

I use the JP version (6 fin model) but it's the same thing. 6 fins is great on a mixed track with both long straights and lots of tight turns. Car is very responsive.

Tip
Small number of fins = speed
Large number of fins = torque
going4#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:59 PM   #3486
Tech Elite

The wheel hexes and shock tower are the first things I upgraded as well. However, after breaking the 3mm Skyline shock tower, I am now back to the stock one because its the only one I could find at the time I needed it. I am very happy with the car though. The only real other weakness is the clutch bearings. The 5x8mm is just too small to be durable.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #3487
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to richey

Quote:
The wheel hexes and shock tower are the first things I upgraded as well. However, after breaking the 3mm Skyline shock tower, I am now back to the stock one because its the only one I could find at the time I needed it. I am very happy with the car though. The only real other weakness is the clutch bearings. The 5x8mm is just too small to be durable.
Joe try a set of ceramic bearings,problem solved.
JoshStevensFoundation.org
richey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #3488
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

How do you guys setup your gear mesh? Its basicly the only problem in my main; stripping out the 2nd gear. Pinions are relatively new, so I dont think its because of worn out pinions.

What ceramic bearings have you had the best experience with?
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:29 PM   #3489
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu
How do you guys setup your gear mesh? Its basicly the only problem in my main; stripping out the 2nd gear. Pinions are relatively new, so I dont think its because of worn out pinions.

What ceramic bearings have you had the best experience with?

I setup my mesh by starting overly tight then moving the pinions back while spinning the spurs(or pushing the car back and forth) till I hear and feel the mesh free up.

Are you sure your engine is not moving?
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:30 PM   #3490
Tech Elite

Rich, My JP motor has ceramics in it. As little as I will be racing this year as it looks, I am not going to sink a whole lot more money into this car. I have already spent most of my rc budget for the year on electric crap. And I hate electric cars.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:33 PM   #3491
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racing4Evo
I setup my mesh by starting overly tight then moving the pinions back while spinning the spurs(or pushing the car back and forth) till I hear and feel the mesh free up.

Are you sure your engine is not moving?
Thats a good question... I'll give that a try. Im still waiting for my order of mugen option parts arrive (monoblock in there). I'll have to get used to using thread lock on the screws. Thnks for the help.
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #3492
Tech Elite

Is anyone running the ZAC .12tz? If so, where can they be bought? How do they perform? I have heard that the tz's like to run a little hot??? Thanks
Old 02-20-2006, 06:56 PM   #3493
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

4mm shock tower from mugen....T0508
Old 02-20-2006, 08:03 PM   #3494
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to richey

Quote:
Rich, My JP motor has ceramics in it. As little as I will be racing this year as it looks, I am not going to sink a whole lot more money into this car. I have already spent most of my rc budget for the year on electric crap. And I hate electric cars.
Joe i was talking about ceramic clutch bell bearings.
JoshStevensFoundation.org
richey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 08:19 PM   #3495
Tech Elite

I know Rich, I have the smartest ass around. I am going to definatly try to get some ceramics for it eventually. Just got too much money going into 1/12th scale right now to even think about the nitro season.

Ok, has anyone yet pondered this: Make a new plate for the inner camber link mount that extends out like the shock tower does and put the body mounts on this? I was planning on doing it, but haven't had the time to do it. This would take the presure off of the shock tower every time the rear end of the car takes a big hit. What is everyones thoughts on this?