V-ONE S Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

yes it will still work fine dark

i want to actaully see pics of the sway bars installed if anyone has them
Old 12-29-2002, 06:13 PM
Tech Regular

darthkir,

there is a reason why there are diff. tire compounds and diff. insert types. Foam tires are also rated by diff. compounds/shores.

For rubber, (e.g Sorex) is rated by temp. range....i.e; Sorex 32R is for when the track is cool with low traction surface, while Sorex 40R is for high. temp tracks with high. traction surface. So, the softer 32R gives a grippier feel and allow some measure of control over slippery (low traction surface) while the 40R is made of harder compound to give it longer life while still allowing for some grip on sticky (high traction surface). Due to the softer compounds of the 32R, tire wear would be higher if used on high traction (sticky), high temp. (hot!) surface. On the other hand, the 40R would be very slippery on low traction surface and the cool temp. would hardly expand the surface of the tire giving little or no traction at all.

Now, the reason we use inserts (instead of a hollow tire) is to simulate tire pressure. Since it wouldn't make sense to miniaturise tubing and pressure valves, RC tires use inserts instead, to allow the tire to maintain a consistent shape in changing conditions.

So, you know Sorex32R gives a grippier ride, but you wish it would last longer on hot and sticky tracks, this is where inserts come in. The hardest inserts simulate high tire pressure and maintains the soft 32R tire shape to even out the tire wear hence longer lasting tires! However, there is a trade-off. By giving the 32R hard inserts, you're actually taking away some of its grippiness...i.e; when you corner, the tires spin at an apex. If the hard inserts maintain the 32Rs tire shape, then only a fraction of the tire surface would be able to provide traction. The reverse is also true, if you use soft inserts, the tires will warp and match the apex to maximise the surface area of the tire that can provide traction.

So, you can play around with diff. tire and insert combinations to find the best to suit the track where you play.

For max. traction, fastest tire wear, use Sorex 32R with softest inserts. You'll be able to hold the racing line better, but for how long?

For longest tire life but minimal traction, use Sorex 40R with the hardest compounds. You'll save money if you're only bashing or just playing around.

Try out the combinations.

Lets say the track has 70% corners and 30% straight and track temp. is ideal for the 40R. For better line holding but reasonable tire wear, I'd go with 40R(soft/med) front and 36R(med/hard) rear. The rear tire will maintain traction longer but could lose some of its grippiness due to the hard inserts (try med!). The front might have some oversteer if you go with the soft inserts but it might start to lose some traction once it wears out a little. You can use the hard inserts, but there might be understeer, so try the medium....or you can use 40R(hard) front and 40R(soft) rear .......and so on.... you get the idea.

I usually setup my cars with a little more traction in the rear since I use a one way up front and I need the braking power. There are other factors that will effect how your car handles e.g; droop, toe-in/out/camber, shock settings, shock fluid, stabilizer bar etc.

Rule of thumb; change one (1) thing at a time and test out the settings. You'll soon learn what works for you and what doesn't.

Ok, have fun!
Old 12-29-2002, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Default sl

Originally posted by sausage_link
yes it will still work fine dark

i want to actaully see pics of the sway bars installed if anyone has them
Front or rear sway bars? blade or wire type?

gt

Old 12-29-2002, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Ahaa, now I get it! Thanks Morph

I sometimes race at Titiwangsa, and youre from JB right? i consider myself a budget racer, so I need to plan on spending my money on the right sets of tyre. I can experiment but it will be limited, you know how much all those inserts, rims and tyres cost here

There are many people who swears by Sorex tyres here, but there are some people I know recommend HPI inserts and tyres. What is your oppinion?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Since people like me just play around, I try to get whatever cheapest that works. Its no fun to play when you can't keep your RC under control, no matter how much you can save. My advice, get something that's cheap and works for you. Unfortunately, you have to try them out, to find out.
Old 12-29-2002, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Morph!

normally how high can the tyre temperature be from the track? Normally the air temp can be somwhere between 31 -34 celcius.

Old 12-29-2002, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

If you go with Sorex, I suggest 32R min. Some electric racers might want to run 26R (the lowest I've found!) for max grip but I don't think it'll last for very long even with hard inserts. Go with 32/36R and maybe you can try the soft/med inserts. 40R for max tire life. Your V-One-S is heavy, so it'll eat rubber very quickly.

On a hot afternoon, I think track temps can go to maybe high 30s C althought I don't know for sure (never thought of taking temps!). Next time we have an F1 race in Sepang, see what the commentators say. It won't be the same since F1 tires run very hot and lay down rubber on the tracks, but you'd get the idea.

You know why there is a racing line in a race? Its because the drivers want to take advantage of the hotter temp. and extra rubber laid down by all the passing cars.

Hot=more traction, but extra tire wear.
Cold=less traction, longer tire life

That's why, an F1 driver who wants to keep his tires fresh tends to stay off the racing line and try to find colder sections of the track....but they don't do this for long coz the trade off is they might lose tire pressure hence losing traction.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:02 PM
Tech Adept

Hey, thanks again. That was really helpful. I guess I'll invest on some Sorex tomorrow. Time to play around with tyres!!!
Old 12-29-2002, 10:04 PM
Tech Adept

Another question;

I just changed my stock muffler to a Novarossi pipe (black). Do I need to re-tune my needles?
Old 12-29-2002, 10:22 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know, you tell me. Does it sound ok? Do you feel there's any diff. from the stock muffler? By right, you should retune with any change to engine parts, fuel, weather, temp. etc. How do you know its good? This comes from experience. You'll know when its not going right. Re-read your engine tuning manual....what does it say?
Old 12-29-2002, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

Humm, experience. Something that I dont have that much.

The only thing that I noticed that, with the new pipe the car really screams. May be I need to retune, it did sound a little rich though

Old 12-30-2002, 02:08 AM
Tech Master

Front or rear sway bars? blade or wire type?
umm i didnt no there was 2 types
can i see both
Old 12-30-2002, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by squizzytaylor
Joe, it comes from a company called q-power, Taiwanese in origin I would imagine, Ill be down the coast in the next few days and see if i can get further information.

SL/ front or rear swaybay if front, blade or wire type?

gt

Squizzy
Q power is distributed by DSI
Joe just ask your local hobby shop to contact them they have adds in racing lines they also distribute Neo cars GS cars and products And are now the new HPI distributor in OZ ...

also Geof If you are going to see Bob the shop is closed to the 6th unless you have made prior arrangments to meet him there..

Lance
Old 12-30-2002, 01:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by chippy
Squizzy
Q power is distributed by DSI
Joe just ask your local hobby shop to contact them they have adds in racing lines they also distribute Neo cars GS cars and products And are now the new HPI distributor in OZ ...

also Geof If you are going to see Bob the shop is closed to the 6th unless you have made prior arrangments to meet him there..

Lance
Thanks Chippy, you saved me a trip!

Nitro Joe is in the US, so I thought I may be able to track down the manufacturer of the Q-power gear.

http://www.dsi-int.com/

Here is there URL anyway, drop them an email Joe.

gt

Old 12-30-2002, 01:39 PM
Tech Master

Default sl

Originally posted by sausage_link
umm i didnt no there was 2 types
can i see both
Ill get some photos posted tonight, Im off to the beach Im off to the beach with the kids.

gt

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.