R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-18-2004, 01:53 AM   #4111
Tech Adept

yea, because it's running rich(which is safe).
where are you running it?
ben1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 02:16 AM   #4112
Tech Apprentice

I'm just breaking it in my backyard. 3 Tanks of Idle and next 6-7 tanks taking it easy.

I think tonight is cold but when I remove my glow starter, the engine stops. Is it because it's too rich ?

It was fine earlier today.

I don't know if there's a hole in my exhaust but oil is coming out of the bottom near the screw.
elim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 02:19 AM   #4113
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by elim
Hey guys I got a problem here, the starter feels like it slipping. Before you can feel that piston up and down sensation but now it feels like it just pulls out freely.

I thought it was flooded, so I opened up glow plug but nothing came out.

EDIT: I took the engine out of the chassis and suddenly the fly spun abit. I noticed I put too much fuel into the tank and the fuel was going up the top and into the exhaust.

I also notice there's some grease or liquid under the heatsink, don't know where it's coming from but I'm going to try and take the heatsink off and check it out.
When you say your pull start seems to pull freely did you have your glow plug off? also if the engine is hot the engine will rotate easier. I dont think you can damage a engine during break in. And leave the needle settings as is while breaking in the engine. The excess oil that is coming out of the exhaust is normal as the engine is running rich but for the cable tie to melt im not very sure but i assume because the gold head is so short that its close to the engine block itself there for the cable ties melt. But if you havent touched the needles im pretty sure your safe. and dont worry to much about scratching the head as you will need to upgrade to the blue head for better cooling purposes later on essepcially when your gonna run the car in a car park. Also 15% nitro is fine whatever you use to break your engine in use the same % nitro for normal driving as well. try to stick to 15% as thats like inbetween the range of %nitro. Anyways i reakon your pull starter hasnt got a problem unless you have pull the cord so far out, pull start cord should not be pulled more than 30 cms i think.

And ben Carbon upper plate upgrade is just wasting your money dont spend money on the car for good looks. Spend it on spares like a piston and liner for the engine. or some alloy threaded shocks etc...
Old 04-18-2004, 02:25 AM   #4114
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by elim
I'm just breaking it in my backyard. 3 Tanks of Idle and next 6-7 tanks taking it easy.

I think tonight is cold but when I remove my glow starter, the engine stops. Is it because it's too rich ?

It was fine earlier today.

I don't know if there's a hole in my exhaust but oil is coming out of the bottom near the screw.
Also when you said there was an oil leak i believe is from the fly wheel like a rear main seal on a real car. and about the oil leak on the exhaust i got no idea but i reakon its just dripping down from the stinger and the wind is blowing it towards the bottom of the pipe. And when it stalls like that i think you need to adjust the low speed screw about 1/8 turn clockwise. to make the idle just abit more leaner well its all about trial and error just make sure you dont do to much adjustments, just take 1/8 turns at a time and write down every step you have adjusted so you can return it to orginal setting if need be as i didnt and my screws were all over the place!
Good luck VoneS waster :P
Old 04-18-2004, 02:51 AM   #4115
Tech Apprentice

lol waster :P

My glowplug was still on when the pullstart felt freely. Maybe there was no fuel in the engine ?

I've actually fiddled with the needles before starting it the first time lol. With high speed, I closed it and went out 3 turns ( counter clockwise). As for the low speed, I think I closed it but I turned it out 1 1/2 turns and it looks like 1mm ( Just as the manual said ).

My car is stalling when I remove the glow plug but dazza told me it's because my low speed mix is too rich ( probably true because I did actually adjusted it out counter clockwise ).

I've decided to stick with 10% instead of 15% because I got worried that I will F*** it up lol.

I'm gonna go on my 4th tank tomorrow, however during my 3rd tank, I tried to give it some throttle and it revved up slightly before stalling, any reason to as why this is happening ?
Old 04-18-2004, 03:42 AM   #4116
Tech Master

im only guessing that because you have had the engine on idle for 2 tanks then the 3rd tank you also have it on idle which means you have alot of excuess fuel trapped inside ya pipe which decreases the flow of the fumes to get out from the engine. which then causes the engine to soffocate and cut out. (im only guessing as im still a newbie)
Still think your a VoneS waster :P
Old 04-18-2004, 03:54 AM   #4117
Tech Apprentice

lol waster, at least I chose this over the Traxxas 4-tec :P

Excess fuel inside pipe ? How would I go about in removing it ?

Correct me if I'm wrong please! but i think it's because my low speed needle is too rich, which causes the engine to stall once I removed the glow plug starter, which could also be the reason behind stalling when I give it gas ??

To be honest, my feedbank #2: Now I don't know whether going nitro was a good idea or not, lol. I guess we will have to start from somewhere.

P.S: I've been through this thread once and I am too lazy to go through 130 pages of post again, re-reading people's problems and expieriences since it's all about V One S, lol.
Old 04-18-2004, 04:18 AM   #4118
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by BrainTeased
And when it stalls like that i think you need to adjust the low speed screw about 1/8 turn clockwise. to make the idle just abit more leaner
Thats what i said now your a page waster as well :P! jk. about your decision on nitro you made the right choice! once you play around with nitro, electrics just isnt the same. Heres a comparison. 2 women. one moans and the other doesnt!
Old 04-18-2004, 04:43 AM   #4119
Tech Apprentice

I think there's a problem with the server, I can't post.

Anyways, thanks brainteased.

I want to change the fuel to the Cool Power 15% Nitro, 20% Synth because I think it's more reliable and responsive. I am currently using a no brand fuel and really don't trust it.

Is it too late to change now even though I've already went through 3 tanks of fuel I'm currently using ?
Old 04-18-2004, 05:01 AM   #4120
Tech Master

you would have to adjust the needles again as your using a higher % nitro but, wait for some more feedback on this one but im assume theres no danger in changing nitro % while breaking in essepcially on the 4th tank. But just ask around or ring up a local hobby shop.
Old 04-18-2004, 06:15 AM   #4121
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

Ladies and Gentlemen, I usually don't get "abusive" on a forum, for for heavens sake RTFM!!!

AND NEVER EVER FU(KING TOUCH THE MIXTURES WHEN YOU GET IT FROM THE FACTORY!!! THEY ARE SET FOR BREAK IN!!!

The manual has them set at BOTH 2 turns out...
Get your needle, turn the mixture fully clockwise till it stops (DONT USE MUCH PRESSURE)
Then count near on exactly 2 turns anti clockwise...
The problem you are having is TOO MUCH fuel when you accelerate...
Also to removing oil from the pipe, it is possible to remove the whole tuned pipe (the fat one) from the car, then you will see 2 small screws near the stinger, undo them, DONT loose the baffle from inside ATM, and then tip everything out of it...
Be careful not to strip the screws...

Also changing Nitro % is fine, my advice would be when changing any fuels over, make a mixture up of 100ml of one fuel, with 100ml of the other mixed togethor, shake them both togethor, and use that all up before running the second fuel... (Something i do so its not a sudden change over)

About the pullstart, check that the screw to hold the pullstart on to the motor is still there, (Just try and pull it off by hand, give a little wriggle at the same time to check)
And if you flood the engine, it is really really hard to pull the pull starter when you have the glow igniter on (Can hurt the hand alot) and is fairly hard when the glow IGNITER is off...
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:50 AM   #4122
Tech Adept

Fuk... i thought carbon fibre is way lighter than aluminium? Why do you think Kyosho makes them for? Carbon Fibre is made for a purpose isnt it? correct me if im wrong..
Old 04-18-2004, 08:02 AM   #4123
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by V-One S
Ladies and Gentlemen, I usually don't get "abusive" on a forum, for for heavens sake RTFM!!!

AND NEVER EVER FU(KING TOUCH THE MIXTURES WHEN YOU GET IT FROM THE FACTORY!!! THEY ARE SET FOR BREAK IN!!!

The manual has them set at BOTH 2 turns out...
Get your needle, turn the mixture fully clockwise till it stops (DONT USE MUCH PRESSURE)
Then count near on exactly 2 turns anti clockwise...
The problem you are having is TOO MUCH fuel when you accelerate...

Also changing Nitro % is fine, my advice would be when changing any fuels over, make a mixture up of 100ml of one fuel, with 100ml of the other mixed togethor, shake them both togethor, and use that all up before running the second fuel... (Something i do so its not a sudden change over)

My GS-15 had 4 turns on the high speed needle and the low end was flush with the carb !!!

I changed fuel a few months back!!all i did was run the motor on factory settings for half a tank then raced tuned it and checked the temp every couple of minutes.

Hank
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:04 AM   #4124
Tech Adept

The best method is to tune to factory settings(safest) and then maybe a little more agressive(if you like).
Old 04-18-2004, 09:19 AM   #4125
Tech Adept

hey guys do you think i should get a vones or vonerr? i can squeese some money out to buy the rr but im not sure whether is it too difficult to tune... and i dun have a spare engine.. do you think if i get a vones i can get competitive with a ntc3? can the rear toe in be adjusted?

Last edited by ben1112; 04-18-2004 at 09:41 AM.