R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #136
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotoracing View Post
Where do you live? Maybe someone can help you in person.
Im thinkin this is the only way as well. Put some expert eyeballs on it
TerribleTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #137
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerribleTy View Post
Im thinkin this is the only way as well. Put some expert eyeballs on it
West Point, GA
howard85may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #138
Tech Adept

Ok I finally got the thing to idle with a small gap. I just kept lowering the low speed until it would stay running. Idle gap is about the width of a credit card. I tested it on the stand and when I rev it the idle drops back nicely. I will do more testing on the ground tomorrow. I wound up with the needle around 3 3/4 to 3 1/2 turns out from flush on lsn. Factory is 5 turns which is way rich and I think that was causing me to have to run a bigger gap to keep it running and in turn was causing my high idle issue. Hsn around 3 turns. It idles good here I just hope it's not too lean. What kind of settings are people finding as far as lsn on the Roma? Thanks again.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #139
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard85may View Post
Ok I finally got the thing to idle with a small gap. I just kept lowering the low speed until it would stay running. Idle gap is about the width of a credit card. I tested it on the stand and when I rev it the idle drops back nicely. I will do more testing on the ground tomorrow. I wound up with the needle around 3 3/4 to 3 1/2 turns out from flush on lsn. Factory is 5 turns which is way rich and I think that was causing me to have to run a bigger gap to keep it running and in turn was causing my high idle issue. Hsn around 3 turns. It idles good here I just hope it's not too lean. What kind of settings are people finding as far as lsn on the Roma? Thanks again.
Ok, after testing these needle settings, here's what I found, immediately noticed low speed was too lean causing a lean bog. High speed was too lean and would not allow the engine to reach second gear. I richened the high end until it pulled strong with good smoke and richened the low end to get rid of lean bog. Now it doesnt start with the idle gap around 1mm. If i increase the idle, so it will start, it hangs as before with a two stage effect- high idle after a pass for about a second then drops to normal. I'm currently running Odonnell 20 % speed blend because I ran out of 25. Should I remove any head shim? C6tgc plug.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #140
Tech Adept

after more reading, i think i've fell victim to the "average woman" tune.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #141
Tech Adept

Hey guys, i got the tune in the ballpark, i am having an issue with the shifting.. listen to the shift point in this video and tell me what you think? I've took it out and cleaned the disk and hub, loosened the screws so it shifts earlier.. i can't put a finger on it. as always, thanks!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn2k4NYBQH0
Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #142
Tech Adept

i took it apart, how do i know which way the disk goes? Does the long side of the disk go leading or trailing?
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #143
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

to me it sounds like it is shifting to soon and falling off the power but i could be wrong

Yes I race a Snake, VP, Radiopost,Protek,EDS,Matrix
Team Nitro RC Club Lynwood, IL
azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #144
Tech Initiate

Quote:
i took it apart, how do i know which way the disk goes? Does the long side of the disk go leading or trailing?
Download the manual from serpent's website.
Wachsmann64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #145
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachsmann64 View Post
Download the manual from serpent's website.
i have the manual. it looks like its trailing, but i want to make sure.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #146
Tech Addict

Itís really hard to do this even with video because I donít know what you are doing throttle wise. You are getting really close man! It also sounds like you need to fine tune the low speed needle and the idle. Itís bogging down at idle and you are revving to clear it out. When you are working the low end you need to clean it out and then stop it and let it idle for more than a few seconds. These Novarossi engines when properly tuned will Idle all day and then explode of the start with no bogging at all. Get your idle and needle setting dialed before you worry about 2nd gear or you will do it twice.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #147
Tech Addict

Also what adjustments are you making in your other video? I hear you cranking on something on the radio. Just trying to get an idea of what your throttle is doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttogMMlI5v0&feature=plcp
Old 10-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #148
Tech Adept

That beeping you hear is the throttle accel function. I was turning it off.
I understand what you're saying, im using 20% with c6tgc plug and if i go any lower on the bottom end it creates a lean bog. It loads up with fuel though on idle if i let it sit there.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #149
Tech Adept

Quote:
That beeping you hear is the throttle accel function. I was turning it off.
I understand what you're saying, im using 20% with c6tgc plug and if i go any lower on the bottom end it creates a lean bog. It loads up with fuel though on idle if i let it sit there.
Also noticed today that the rod end that connects to the crank has developed play it rocks back and forth at top dead center. Could that cause it to load up?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #150
Tech Adept

I cannot get this car to shift no matter what. I removed the entire clutch assembly and cleaned the one way, the 2 speed hub, clutch disks, readjusted the tension springs on the disks, added set screws to decrease the gap... It just will not shift at all. It revs like a single speed buggy. Only thing that I am not sure of is the correct way the shoes go, leading or trailing. The instruction manual simply does not provide a clear enough explanation of which way they go. Someone help please before I take a shot gun to this car!