R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 08-12-2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Cool THINK!

[QUOTE=fung_kyle;11084305]Don't you you think it's stupid that Canada is the 2nd largest country with so less tracks? Especially on road? I personally believe that RC is a great way to boost the economy as the cost is quite high. Also there should be an incentive for those that go setup the track. Like for example people who setipth track should be eligible to a discount for that practice day.

Canada may be the 2nd largest land mass, but not the 2nd largest in population. I don't think you realize how small and splintered the RC community is in Vancouver. Just come out on sundays run from 9am till about 6pm and if you have any questions, RRR club would be more than happy to answer and hopefully give you a better idea what goes on and what it takes to make RC onroad in the Vancouver, Richmond area alive and well. Where else can you play from 9 to 6 for only $20?
yoshi4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Again I'm reasoning/debating not trying to offend anyone out there.

On top of that a PT system is a one time payment so racers can divide the money among themselves and pay within a reasonable time. Roaddome.com, well not ALL tracks need top notch materials. Old 2x6? and gutter pipes (forgot what they're called). Using cheaper material is always another alternative. It doesn't mean lower quality by any means.

The most expensive part of a track is renting or leasing the land. Off road seems to be easier, but on road cars NEED a flat surface..

I really hope I'm not offending track directors. I'm trying to find out the cost behind clubs.
fung_kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=yoshi4;11085218]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fung_kyle View Post
Don't you you think it's stupid that Canada is the 2nd largest country with so less tracks? Especially on road? I personally believe that RC is a great way to boost the economy as the cost is quite high. Also there should be an incentive for those that go setup the track. Like for example people who setipth track should be eligible to a discount for that practice day.

Canada may be the 2nd largest land mass, but not the 2nd largest in population. I don't think you realize how small and splintered the RC community is in Vancouver. Just come out on sundays run from 9am till about 6pm and if you have any questions, RRR club would be more than happy to answer and hopefully give you a better idea what goes on and what it takes to make RC onroad in the Vancouver, Richmond area alive and well. Where else can you play from 9 to 6 for only $20?
Been there and ran once... Kinda scared of the people...
Old 08-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #19
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=yoshi4;11085218]
Quote:
Don't you you think it's stupid that Canada is the 2nd largest country with so less tracks? Especially on road? I personally believe that RC is a great way to boost the economy as the cost is quite high. Also there should be an incentive for those that go setup the track. Like for example people who setipth track should be eligible to a discount for that practice day.

Yeah not the second largest population. Land is the main point here, with all this land, is it not possible to lease some cheap land? For example ChargeRC? I assume they have leased or rented a permanent track. Though it is offroad, why can't that happen to onroad?

Again NOT trying to offend anyone, especially local Vancouver RC'ers.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Why don't you start your own track and implement all your ideas?
People that complain about race fees piss me off. We're lucky to have any tracks at all. We spend thousands to buy our equipment, what's $20 to be able to use it? Stop complaining!!!!
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #21
Tech Regular

$20 can go a long way. I still can't stress this more. Can anyone that's replying think politely and stop having an attitude? This is a discussion not a hating thread for the guy that started the thread.

Back to the $20 thing, you go every single week, and I go with my dad. That's already $40 a week. For my local track I counted around 23 weeks weather permitting for my dad and I to run.

$40 multiplied by 23 equals $920 and multiply by the number of years you run.

Not going to comment more on that as that will be considered complaining.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #22
Tech Champion

If it's too much, don't go,.simple
Old 08-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #23
Tech Champion

I don't go every week, the only track I can run at is 1 hour away from my house. So it cost ME a tank of gas, and I still go, and I don't complain. I'm lucky to have this track. You act like having a track to race at is your right
Old 08-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
I don't go every week, the only track I can run at is 1 hour away from my house. So it cost ME a tank of gas, and I still go, and I don't complain. I'm lucky to have this track. You act like having a track to race at is your right
Absolutely not. I just didn't have a very track day I guess. Since that was my
only one... I'd like to explain it and why I'd like alternatives if possible. In Greater Vancouver it's all about money (Not track fee now). I spent around $40 alone by myself for the first day. That scared my dad quite a lot as he played RC back when he was in Hong Kong. Not racing just after work fun. The extra $20 came from a fellow club member helping me tune my engine. I didn't know I had to pay, but the work was done and he requested it. With such a small community shouldn't reciprocity be helpful? The other $10 was buying a servo horn from a club member. Honestly $20 isn't a lot if that's ALL I pay (Dad).

So here's a side question I ask. Do you help fellow beginners and charge them or just smile and say "here, should be good now!".
Old 08-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
$20 can go a long way. I still can't stress this more. Can anyone that's replying think politely and stop having an attitude? This is a discussion not a hating thread for the guy that started the thread.

Back to the $20 thing, you go every single week, and I go with my dad. That's already $40 a week. For my local track I counted around 23 weeks weather permitting for my dad and I to run.

$40 multiplied by 23 equals $920 and multiply by the number of years you run.

Not going to comment more on that as that will be considered complaining.
Kyle the % of what you spend to play is way less than compared to the % of how much you spent so you can play.

Drivers will go once or twice a month & most of the time the average pays less than a .50cent a minute if there paying $20 & getting practice 3 rds & mains if you think that is expensive try comparing it to another hobby
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #26
Tech Regular

I guess going once or twice a month does work out.

Thank you for not having an "attitude"

=)
Old 08-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
I guess going once or twice a month does work out.

Thank you for not having an "attitude"

=)
some get very sensitive cause the topic can be
but seeing that u are learning take time & do the research to learn how to tune,set up your car I feel bad that someone charged u to tune but if u took it to a hobby shop that's different you are paying for the knowledge but make sure u at least ask what they did or how they did it so u can learn from it
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
some get very sensitive cause the topic can be
but seeing that u are learning take time & do the research to learn how to tune,set up your car I feel bad that someone charged u to tune but if u took it to a hobby shop that's different you are paying for the knowledge but make sure u at least ask what they did or how they did it so u can learn from it
Alright thanks!
Old 08-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Everyone sees your point. The problem is you don't see the other side because you haven't been on the other side. I've never ran my own track either. But I helped out with our onraod program last winter and the guy who puts all the money up filled me in on all our costs. I also organized a new class for onraod and set up the rules. So I got a taste of the people complaining. And trust me, that shit gets old FAST. If it were up to me our local fees would go up slightly. We charge 15 for first entry, 5 for the second, everything after that is free. I'd have it set at 15,10,5 for everything else.

Our onroad club races only bring in 35-40 entries each race. Our rent is around $400. That doesn't include anything else other than rent. Most people run 2 classes locally. So if you do the math you can figure out we barely break even WHEN we do. By the way, money for the rent has to be paid up front for the entire onroad season. So the money guy puts that money out there and HOPES to break even. With no guarantees. Last winter we bought a used road rail system. We asked the local racers to donate some money so we could afford it. Almost everyone said they would donate money for it. Only 5 people actually did.

Our off road season is a whole nother story. We generally have 100+ entries Rent is much lower because its outdoors. We also put on some of the largest races in the NW. But those also take big bucks. Several thousand dollars go into a big race event.

If you can I would suggest you guys volunteer as much time as possible helping out at the track. It's a real eye opener. There is a ton of work that goes into just a club race. Let alone a big regional or national race. Also it will make things easier on everyone else (organizers) and only improves your local track.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MANY OF OUR SO CALLED RACER FREINDS COMPLAIN ABOUT TRACTION, BUMPS IN THE PAVEMENT,NOT HAVING THIS OR THAT AND BEING PART OF A TRACK MYSELF AND BEING THERE TO DO THE WORK ALONG WITH THE OWNERS HAS SHOWN ME THAT THIS HOBBY COSTS MONEY!!!THE RACERS DONT SEE THE COST OF PAVEMENT AND TRACK REPAIRS OR THE TIME INVOLVED TO GET ALL OF IT DONE.THEY SHOW UP ON RACE DAY AND BITCH AND MOAN ABOUT THE SMALLEST THINGS . I LIVE IN FLORIDA AND SEE IT FIRST HAND AT EVERY RACE I GO TO !SO IF YOU WONDERING WHAT RACE FEES ARE DONT EVEN GET INVOLVED IF YOU GONNA NICKEL AND DIME THE RACE FACILITY ....DONT BUY A CAR IF YOU CANT AFFORD TO PUT GAS IN IT!!!DONT BUY A HOUSE IF YOU CANT PAY THE MORTGAGE...YOU SEE WHAT IM GETTING AT RIGHT OK..WITH THAT BEING SAID PAY YOUR MONEY ENJOY YOUR RACE DAY AND MAKE SURE YOU SAY THANKYOU AND SHOW SOME APPRETIATION TO THE PEOPLE THAT GIVE YOU A PLACE TO RACE!!!