Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
The future of On-Road Nitro racing falls on our kids. >

The future of On-Road Nitro racing falls on our kids.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The future of On-Road Nitro racing falls on our kids.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default The future of On-Road Nitro racing falls on our kids.

After talking with a friend of mine in great detail about this subject I feel now I need to share my story with you. I have been racing On-Road Nitro on and off since the early 80's. I was 8 to 10yrs old when I started with a pan car running club races. Now I have been mostly concerned with how my racing prograham is going and given little concern to much else. Well things have changed this year for the better for me.

My Dad who got me started in the hobby is now getting my Son and my Nephew into the hobby. He is suppling them with Pan cars to race at club races and in the Midwest Series. My Son is 9 but going to be 10 this month and has been racing Electric indoors for the past few winters but we almost had to force him to come race. This year though with the gas cars he is excited to go racing and has really started to come around with his driving. Last year both boys ran the pan cars a little here and there but it was more a learning curve for us on how to make these new pan cars last on a board track.

So now I find myself at races and instead of me being nervous about my racing and working hard on my car I find myself more worried about how my Son is doing. This past weekend he stepped his game up a level. We have put a bullseye on Grandpa's car and thats the target for my Son. Normaly Grandpa puts a lap on my Son but this weekend in the first round of qaulifing my son was leading and I was a wreck! Grandpa was gaining on him and finally passed my son for the lead with like 2 laps to go. I told Lon III my son "YOU NEED TO GET THAT BACK!!!" within the next lap Lon had caught his Grandpa and on the next to last corner put a pass on him to regain the lead and win the round by 0.08 with Grandpa in 2nd place. I can not express how happy I was for Lon and so was Grandpa. Lon III was as pumped up as I have ever seen him so it was very exciting for all of us.

So what I'm getting at is having my Son out there racing with me has brought my R/C car racing to a new level of enjoyment! Its just amazing to watch him just get faster and faster plus the other little things. Like last weekend when he took his car out all by himself to practice. Normaly in the past you had to drag him out there to practice. He is getting better at looking over his car and spotting issues with it and over all just seems to be getting more into it.

In the main Dad ended up TQ and my son was 2nd. My dad had a rough start and Lon got into the lead and was running a great race. I was in pit lane nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I couldn't hardley stand it! Dad and Lon III swap the lead back and forth a few times and it was looking like it was going to be a great race then Lon's car spit off the pinion gear and it could not be repaired while he was leading the race. After some thrashing in our pits with what must have been a 7000º F pinion gear I had to break the news to Lon that his race was over and he took it pretty hard and so did I. Thats the first time I have seen Lon this upset about a DNF and it was because he knew he could have won the race. This showed me that he now wants to win and I'm going to do whatever I can to make this happen even if it means my racing has to get moved to the back burner.

Don't leave your child sitting at home on race days! They are the future of our hobby and we can talk about how kids don't like racing because of a 1000 different reasons but I have never seen my son break down into tears when he lost a video game.

I want to give my Dad a big THANK YOU for getting the boys going in the hobby! I honestly didn't know what I was missing when it was just me and my car.

Lon Sr with his TQ trophy and P8C.

Lon III working hard but looking pretty relaxed. I don't recall when I started getting nervous while racing but I don't think I was ever relaxed enough to rest my radio on the railing.

Lon III's P8C.

Noah getting some stick time.

Noah firing up his machine for battle again.

The other little detail I always thought that was going to be a issue has turned out to be false. I was always fearful that the boys being new would be in the way of the serious crafty old veterans but I'm yet to have any issue at all with anyone about the boys. We are traveling around the midwest racing and everyone has been nothing but kind and supporting towards the boys. We have people trying to give us parts to use on the pan cars all the time and even willing to work on the cars for us. So another big THANK YOU goes to the racers of the Midwest Series and the One eighth racers for all the support and understanding!

Its on us to keep the hobby going and my Dad has shown me the light! If you have a Grandchild, Child, Nephew, Niece, or even a neighbor kid lets get them racing!!
Old 07-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hey Lon

Sounds like I missed a good race weekend.
Wait until your son is on the new surface in Toledo - Grandpa and everyone else should beware!

Hey those bodies look familiar. LOL
Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dasmopar
After talking with a friend of mine in great detail about this subject I feel now I need to share my story with you. I have been racing On-Road Nitro on and off since the early 80's. I was 8 to 10yrs old when I started with a pan car running club races. Now I have been mostly concerned with how my racing prograham is going and given little concern to much else. Well things have changed this year for the better for me.

My Dad who got me started in the hobby is now getting my Son and my Nephew into the hobby. He is suppling them with Pan cars to race at club races and in the Midwest Series. My Son is 9 but going to be 10 this month and has been racing Electric indoors for the past few winters but we almost had to force him to come race. This year though with the gas cars he is excited to go racing and has really started to come around with his driving. Last year both boys ran the pan cars a little here and there but it was more a learning curve for us on how to make these new pan cars last on a board track.

So now I find myself at races and instead of me being nervous about my racing and working hard on my car I find myself more worried about how my Son is doing. This past weekend he stepped his game up a level. We have put a bullseye on Grandpa's car and thats the target for my Son. Normaly Grandpa puts a lap on my Son but this weekend in the first round of qaulifing my son was leading and I was a wreck! Grandpa was gaining on him and finally passed my son for the lead with like 2 laps to go. I told Lon III my son "YOU NEED TO GET THAT BACK!!!" within the next lap Lon had caught his Grandpa and on the next to last corner put a pass on him to regain the lead and win the round by 0.08 with Grandpa in 2nd place. I can not express how happy I was for Lon and so was Grandpa. Lon III was as pumped up as I have ever seen him so it was very exciting for all of us.

So what I'm getting at is having my Son out there racing with me has brought my R/C car racing to a new level of enjoyment! Its just amazing to watch him just get faster and faster plus the other little things. Like last weekend when he took his car out all by himself to practice. Normaly in the past you had to drag him out there to practice. He is getting better at looking over his car and spotting issues with it and over all just seems to be getting more into it.

In the main Dad ended up TQ and my son was 2nd. My dad had a rough start and Lon got into the lead and was running a great race. I was in pit lane nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I couldn't hardley stand it! Dad and Lon III swap the lead back and forth a few times and it was looking like it was going to be a great race then Lon's car spit off the pinion gear and it could not be repaired while he was leading the race. After some thrashing in our pits with what must have been a 7000º F pinion gear I had to break the news to Lon that his race was over and he took it pretty hard and so did I. Thats the first time I have seen Lon this upset about a DNF and it was because he knew he could have won the race. This showed me that he now wants to win and I'm going to do whatever I can to make this happen even if it means my racing has to get moved to the back burner.

Don't leave your child sitting at home on race days! They are the future of our hobby and we can talk about how kids don't like racing because of a 1000 different reasons but I have never seen my son break down into tears when he lost a video game.

I want to give my Dad a big THANK YOU for getting the boys going in the hobby! I honestly didn't know what I was missing when it was just me and my car.

Lon Sr with his TQ trophy and P8C.

Lon III working hard but looking pretty relaxed. I don't recall when I started getting nervous while racing but I don't think I was ever relaxed enough to rest my radio on the railing.

Lon III's P8C.

Noah getting some stick time.

Noah firing up his machine for battle again.

The other little detail I always thought that was going to be a issue has turned out to be false. I was always fearful that the boys being new would be in the way of the serious crafty old veterans but I'm yet to have any issue at all with anyone about the boys. We are traveling around the midwest racing and everyone has been nothing but kind and supporting towards the boys. We have people trying to give us parts to use on the pan cars all the time and even willing to work on the cars for us. So another big THANK YOU goes to the racers of the Midwest Series and the One eighth racers for all the support and understanding!

Its on us to keep the hobby going and my Dad has shown me the light! If you have a Grandchild, Child, Nephew, Niece, or even a neighbor kid lets get them racing!!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

jeff you are the king of this whole deal. I really don't know how you work on so many cars and keep it all straight.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmclean
Hey Lon

Sounds like I missed a good race weekend.
Wait until your son is on the new surface in Toledo - Grandpa and everyone else should beware!

Hey those bodies look familiar. LOL
Those bodies saved me atleast 3 hrs of work so Thank you Very much for those. You did in fact miss a lot of action by staying home.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

As a Dad who takes his son racing, I can say this hobby/sport has given me so much fun and joy spending the time with my son. I love RC growing up as a kid and I still love it. I'm not that good but still racing when I can. Kids grow up too fast and not often you can find a common interest or hobby that can be shared by generations. When it comes to R/C racing, there is no such thing as generation gap, only the young gets faster and the old gets slower. But when I see the Whiting family and Lon i, ii, and iii doing what they do, I really feel good inside, not only do you see great family participation, but also as Lon II has titled this thread, the FUTURE of our sport!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rwang
As a Dad who takes his son racing, I can say this hobby/sport has given me so much fun and joy spending the time with my son. I love RC growing up as a kid and I still love it. I'm not that good but still racing when I can. Kids grow up too fast and not often you can find a common interest or hobby that can be shared by generations. When it comes to R/C racing, there is no such thing as generation gap, only the young gets faster and the old gets slower. But when I see the Whiting family and Lon i, ii, and iii doing what they do, I really feel good inside, not only do you see great family participation, but also as Lon II has titled this thread, the FUTURE of our sport!

J.J. seems to have a handle on it now. lol How old was he when he started beating you Rick?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dasmopar

J.J. seems to have a handle on it now. lol How old was he when he started beating you Rick?
9 Years Old. But hey, on any given day, I can win, that's what racing is all about!
Old 07-12-2012, 03:08 AM
Tech Lord

Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Roelof
Love it!!! We need to start a kids racing club down here. I know there are a ton of dad's that race who have kids just the right age. Great family time. I know Alex will be into racing, as he already loves to help in the pits with his Daddy.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rwang

I know what you mean!
I have so much fun taking my boys racing. We make racing a family event. There is no better fealing then seeing your sons get faster, then getting beat by your son!! it is a great feeling!!!!

See everyone at the GLC.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skeeter 731
I know what you mean!
I have so much fun taking my boys racing. We make racing a family event. There is no better fealing then seeing your sons get faster, then getting beat by your son!! it is a great feeling!!!!

See everyone at the GLC.
I'll tell you Skeeter, I miss the Sundays battling buggies with Evan. Amy and yourself set a great example of what RC can do to create good family bonding.

thankfully, the youngest stopped punching me before he did serious damage...See you in Toledo...
Old 07-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Awesome thread!
Old 07-13-2012, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chicky03
Awesome thread!
I agree 100%! The best thread that I have had the pleasure of reading in a long time!
P.S. I can't wait to race a qualifier or a main with the Nugget!
Old 07-15-2012, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MugenDrew
I agree 100%! The best thread that I have had the pleasure of reading in a long time!
P.S. I can't wait to race a qualifier or a main with the Nugget!
These are cool stories and should be taken further via television and or print media

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.