Community
Wiki Posts
Search

drop in engine for rs4

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Default drop in engine for rs4

hello i have the rs4 racer kit (belt drive) and am trying to figure out what engine to get next i want somthing that drop in or very easy to install and i would like somthing with pretty good top end.any info would be great thanks.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Tech Initiate

anyone?
Old 07-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I just got the new 3 evo rs4 and the g3.0 rips. Thing has great power and is easy to tune. I had an lrp 3.0 (.18) in my rc10gt2 a few years back and can't say it had much more power. You could always go with a competition .12 piece and get a exhaust for it
Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Tech Initiate

will the 3.0 work in mine i have the belt drive version
Old 07-21-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you're having trouble finding an engine for your car (any small block with compatible crank, and side exhaust to match your header/pipe, or rear exhaust and new header/pipe) you are likely to struggle finding replacement parts for the car itself. My advice: look for another car. I have two HPI belt drives, an original RS4 with original .12e engine, and a hopped up RS4 2 with an OS .15 CV. Both two speeds and both running great, but parts for these things are rather scarce. I'll soon find myself in the same boat as you, and may even start looking at options for replacement engines later today. I'll post back if/when I find something.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lilnorm
will the 3.0 work in mine i have the belt drive version
I took a quick look at the HPI engines. Looks like the G3.0 uses a different crank setup than what comes with the car, so setting the flywheel up requires different parts (if even available).

However, the T3.0 engine looks like a drop-in fit. Same crank setup for flywheel as stock, side exhaust (looks like stock header can be used), and rotary carb so stock linkages will work.

I've been assuming that your current engine is similar to HPI's, what engine do you have?
Old 07-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

im using o.s. .15 cv with regular shaft and rotary carb, just need to use a different engine mount
Old 07-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rdl77
im using o.s. .15 cv with regular shaft and rotary carb, just need to use a different engine mount
This too is a drop-in (provided you have something other than the HPI .15fe which has cast-in mounts on the block itself), for some reason I thought it was discontinued so I left it out as an option, but they are still available after so many years . Guess it just shows it's a good engine.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

check some dynamite motors,they good value for money with recreational cars
Old 07-21-2012, 07:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by meno1103
I took a quick look at the HPI engines. Looks like the G3.0 uses a different crank setup than what comes with the car, so setting the flywheel up requires different parts (if even available).

However, the T3.0 engine looks like a drop-in fit. Same crank setup for flywheel as stock, side exhaust (looks like stock header can be used), and rotary carb so stock linkages will work.

I've been assuming that your current engine is similar to HPI's, what engine do you have?
thank you.im using the same engine that came with the racer kit.its the nitro star .15 i looked at the t3.0 and that seems like it would be a good choice.i dont think ill be getting another car anytime soon i have the rs4 a sprint 2 drift and a team losi micro rally brushless(great car).thanks for the help.I dont know alot about the nitro engines but im learning pretty fast.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by lilnorm
thank you.im using the same engine that came with the racer kit.its the nitro star .15 i looked at the t3.0 and that seems like it would be a good choice.i dont think ill be getting another car anytime soon i have the rs4 a sprint 2 drift and a team losi micro rally brushless(great car).thanks for the help.I dont know alot about the nitro engines but im learning pretty fast.
I didn't mean to come off harsh by suggesting another car, just wanted to let you know what you're in for on this car. I like driving my RS4s more than my 4tec or brushless sedans, but have gotten a little scared of the OS .15 equipped one, especially at top speed, because of the fact the cars have been discontinued for years and parts getting harder to find.

This picture shows the .15fe, which if this is what you have...
The green shows the mounting setup used with cars out of the box. If this is how yours is mounted, then you will need to pick up some engine mounts to use with the 3.0. The red points to the standard small block engine mounting setup adopted by damn near every other engine from every manufacturer. The .15fe is the only engine that I know of that diverged from this setup. That looks to be the only thing needed to drop in the 3.0.
Old 07-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

I have these mounts, and a similar flywheel on my OS car, which seem to only be found used anymore
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-20MM-RS4...a#ht_500wt_832

And these on my stock car
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXN373&P=7
Amain doesn't stock them anymore(just looked) and Tower there showed out of stock, so here's another link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Engine-M...item1c22575a37
Old 07-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Tech Initiate

I didn't mean to come off harsh by suggesting another car, just wanted to let you know what you're in for on this car. I like driving my RS4s more than my 4tec or brushless sedans, but have gotten a little scared of the OS .15 equipped one, especially at top speed, because of the fact the cars have been discontinued for years and parts getting harder to find.

This picture shows the .15fe, which if this is what you have...
The green shows the mounting setup used with cars out of the box. If this is how yours is mounted, then you will need to pick up some engine mounts to use with the 3.0. The red points to the standard small block engine mounting setup adopted by damn near every other engine from every manufacturer. The .15fe is the only engine that I know of that diverged from this setup. That looks to be the only thing needed to drop in the 3.0.
ya man that looks like mine.i have another block from a tc3 its a o.s and says cv-r or somthing like that on the side but i also have a big block mount.could i put a big block in the rs4? also i need the little peice that goes inside the hole were the dogbone pin goes into on the wheel side is that easy to find?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

A big block swap involves a lot more work than just dropping in another small block. Using big block mounts from a different car means you will have to drill/grind parts to make them fit. A company used to make mounts specific for this application, but they haven't been produced in ages. There's also more than just mounts, stick with a small block, a 15 cv is plenty for this car.

Sounds like the other part is the o-rings used to reduce slack and help keep the dogbone from popping out. Standard HPI "red" o-rings. You can also use fuel tubing and just cut to fit.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Tech Initiate

A big block swap involves a lot more work than just dropping in another small block. Using big block mounts from a different car means you will have to drill/grind parts to make them fit. A company used to make mounts specific for this application, but they haven't been produced in ages. There's also more than just mounts, stick with a small block, a 15 cv is plenty for this car.

Sounds like the other part is the o-rings used to reduce slack and help keep the dogbone from popping out. Standard HPI "red" o-rings. You can also use fuel tubing and just cut to fit.
okay thanks man.eventually when this engine dies ill probly go or a big block.i have access to cnc machines so the drilling and mounting would be cake.and wow i never thought of fuel line lol man i feel dumb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.