R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default need help asap

so long story short i got my rs4 2 out the shop today guy said he put carb settings back to factory.everytime i start it it revs pretty high for a few seconds then dies. i noticed that the carb sleeve had slid out(not sure if thats what its called) anyways i pushed it in(slid in very easy and is very easy to pull back out)tried starting it again some thing started for a lil then shut off.could this be that i need a new carb?really need some help on this guys really want to get this thing running!!!
lilnorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

k did some more research found that i need to put the idle screw in hopefully it didnt break.would this couse my revving high problem?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:19 AM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnorm View Post
k did some more research found that i need to put the idle screw in hopefully it didnt break.would this couse my revving high problem?
Your idle screw fell out?

1st thing to do is put a rubber band between the throttle connection and top needle. Then give us more information.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

what more information do you need?
Old 07-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Smile

If your idle screw was 'out', that means you were sucking too much air in a 'lean' condition. What 'Blis' mentions is a safeguard to get the throttle back to 'off throttle' so it's not a 'runaway' motor (scattered parts). The air cleaner should only be off to see that you have the 'recommended air gap' for a successful idle setting and the air cleaner should keep the 'carb insert' in place.

Immediate 'high revs'...then dying sounds like you need to 'richen' the low speed needle in small stages until it can run at idle. (counter-clockwise on the mixture is more fuel and clockwise is less fuel) Too much 'leaning' does not always get the most performance...it WILL get too much heat in the motor and an early need for rebuild or trash can. Let the motor get some natural 'warm-up' before trying to get 'quick' blips on the throttle it's not ready for. I still use a heat gun to limber up most of my motors in breakin'.
scary_jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary_jerry View Post
If your idle screw was 'out', that means you were sucking too much air in a 'lean' condition. What 'Blis' mentions is a safeguard to get the throttle back to 'off throttle' so it's not a 'runaway' motor (scattered parts). The air cleaner should only be off to see that you have the 'recommended air gap' for a successful idle setting and the air cleaner should keep the 'carb insert' in place.

Immediate 'high revs'...then dying sounds like you need to 'richen' the low speed needle in small stages until it can run at idle. (counter-clockwise on the mixture is more fuel and clockwise is less fuel) Too much 'leaning' does not always get the most performance...it WILL get too much heat in the motor and an early need for rebuild or trash can. Let the motor get some natural 'warm-up' before trying to get 'quick' blips on the throttle it's not ready for. I still use a heat gun to limber up most of my motors in breakin'.
thanks for the info i was able to fix it and adjust the throttle but i cant get the idle low enouph to keep the clutch from engaging ill be making some more adjustments tommarow.i always let it warm up like i have with all my cars no less then 45 seconds or with my car i let it warm up for about 2 minutes mainly becouse i have to wait for the idle to drop becouse if i dont the stage 3 clutch grabs to hard and i would need new tires in about a month lol