R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

This is the only engine you need:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBDKD&P=SM

I've had many of these 1st gen HPI Nitro's, and have tried MANY different motors over the years. The OS is a direct fit for your car, and has PLENTY of power for that chassis. I would forget the big block idea. You can fit them easy enough, but that chassis is simply not designed for that type of horsepower. You'll snap belts and destroy the two speed going that route. Lots of headaches.

Drop in the OS 15, paint up a cool body and drive it until the wheels fall off.
Two-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #17
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-speed View Post
This is the only engine you need:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBDKD&P=SM

I've had many of these 1st gen HPI Nitro's, and have tried MANY different motors over the years. The OS is a direct fit for your car, and has PLENTY of power for that chassis. I would forget the big block idea. You can fit them easy enough, but that chassis is simply not designed for that type of horsepower. You'll snap belts and destroy the two speed going that route. Lots of headaches.

Drop in the OS 15, paint up a cool body and drive it until the wheels fall off.
that seems like a good engine what about the speed tuned 12xz?? makes almost double the os 15 would that be a godd choice
lilnorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:39 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnorm View Post
that seems like a good engine what about the speed tuned 12xz?? makes almost double the os 15 would that be a godd choice
That .12xz has a pilot crankshaft, the car is set up to use a standard type crankshaft. To use a pilot type I would think you need to use a different flywheel, nut, and also a different/custom rear chassis brace on the car (as the stock flywheel dimensions place the brace between the flywheel and crankcase. Also, a slide carb requires different linkages too. You would also need a new header/pipe combo for the rear exhaust.

The .15 cv really is a great motor for the platform. I did some port work on mine before even running it, and also modded the TRX pro .15 currently in my 4tec (which I could swear nearly doubled in power, but not near as powerful as the 3.3 sitting on my shelf) and while both cars have different 1st gear ratios, their 2nd gear is the same. I have no doubts that my HPI is currently faster than my 4tec in acceleration, top end, and turning with the .15cv.

However, if you are set on getting a different engine, another "drop in" option would be the OS .18TZ-X. Just make sure you look for the one that comes with the pullstart and rotary carb, as that one also has the correct crankshaft (this engine will be labeled for off-road use, and will still require a new header/pipe combo due to being a rear exhaust). The other one comes with a backplate (starter box engine instead of pullstart), slide carb (which as stated needs new linkages), and a pilot crank (which I'm unsure if can be fitted).

Umm, what does overkill mean again?

Last edited by meno1103; 07-29-2012 at 04:08 PM.
meno1103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

The HPI T3.0 should be a direct for the HPI Nitro Racer. The engine case is about the same size as the original 15fe and also has cast in place motor mounts too. The crankshaft is dimensionally the same so you should be able to reuse your current flywheel and clutchbell. The ONLY problem I see and it is a major one is that the stock 15fe that came with the HPI RS4 cars of the late 1990s and early 2000s are rated at .6hp whereas the newer T3.0 is rated 2.2hp! This significant increase in power and torque will cause problems with your stock spur gear.

If you do decide on the T3.0 just to see what it will do you may want to take advantage of HPI's factory upgrade program (only for US customers though) where you send in your old engine and pay $65 to upgrade to the T3.0. Don't confuse the T3.0 with the G3.0 - they are different motors designed for different applications, T for on-road and G for off-road. The G3.0 has an entirely different crankshaft (SG).

Good luck and have fun - R/C is very fun hobby though expensive.
csb510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by csb510 View Post
The HPI T3.0 should be a direct for the HPI Nitro Racer. The engine case is about the same size as the original 15fe and also has cast in place motor mounts too. The crankshaft is dimensionally the same so you should be able to reuse your current flywheel and clutchbell. The ONLY problem I see and it is a major one is that the stock 15fe that came with the HPI RS4 cars of the late 1990s and early 2000s are rated at .6hp whereas the newer T3.0 is rated 2.2hp! This significant increase in power and torque will cause problems with your stock spur gear.

If you do decide on the T3.0 just to see what it will do you may want to take advantage of HPI's factory upgrade program (only for US customers though) where you send in your old engine and pay $65 to upgrade to the T3.0. Don't confuse the T3.0 with the G3.0 - they are different motors designed for different applications, T for on-road and G for off-road. The G3.0 has an entirely different crankshaft (SG).

Good luck and have fun - R/C is very fun hobby though expensive.
The T3.0 has already been suggested, along with the OS .15CV, and OS .18TZ-X. I myself may replace my CV with the .18TZ once it gives out, fully understanding the implications of such excessive power, just for giggles.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by meno1103 View Post
The T3.0 has already been suggested, along with the OS .15CV, and OS .18TZ-X. I myself may replace my CV with the .18TZ once it gives out, fully understanding the implications of such excessive power, just for giggles.
Yeah I was actually adding to the tally of votes for the T3.0 engine mentioned already. That is one of my future considerations for my Super Nitro Rally or the 18tz. I understand the TZ is a buggy motor but I always had a preference for O.S. engines, I hear it is a monster. I have a 12CV-R in the SNR at the moment though it has a higher output than the stock 15fe (1hp vs 0.6hp) it is still very outdated by todays standards. Please share with us your project's progress with fitting the TZ into you chassis as I would definitely like to know!
Old 07-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Yeah I was actually adding to the tally of votes for the T3.0 engine mentioned already. That is one of my future considerations for my Super Nitro Rally or the 18tz. I understand the TZ is a buggy motor but I always had a preference for O.S. engines, I hear it is a monster. I have a 12CV-R in the SNR at the moment though it has a higher output than the stock 15fe (1hp vs 0.6hp) it is still very outdated by todays standards. Please share with us your project's progress with fitting the TZ into you chassis as I would definitely like to know!
Ahh I see, my vote goes to all three! All are a good upgrade from a 15fe. Well my plan was to hold out on a swap until the CV started wearing out. If I do it early, then I'll post back for sure.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Come to think of it. Are there any actual data to support the 2.2hp specs HPI lists on their website? That doesn't seem realistic.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:43 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Come to think of it. Are there any actual data to support the 2.2hp specs HPI lists on their website? That doesn't seem realistic.
I couldn't find ratings for the T3.0, but I did for the G3.0. They are similar engines but I'm sure don't have the exact same specs, but still close. Yeah, I really think that HPI uses a different power scale or something than say OS.
The HPI runs ~$50 less than the OS .18CV, rated at 1.35hp, and is the same size (both .18s). The OS .18TZ runs almost twice the price of the HPI and claims 2.28bhp, and then 1.77hp
http://www.osengines.com/engines/osmg2110.html
HPI G3.0: 2.2hp, ~$100
OS .18CV: 1.35hp ~$150
OS .18TZ (turbo): 1.77hp/2.28bhp ~$200

Most people say to ignore power claims altogether due to inaccurate comparisons anyway. In any case, I'd much prefer an OS engine rather than one included in RTR kits.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 AM   #25
Tech Rookie

I also contemplated a long time between t3.0, .18cvrx, and the .18tztx. In the end, I chose .18cvrx because I heard the t3.0 is not as powerful as the two os engines and the .18tztx is just plain crazy that I might break something on the first run.

I still have my stock .15fe. I wonder if hpi still offer the trade up program so I can trade it for a t3.0 just for a comparison against the os.
krnluve24 is offline   Reply With Quote