R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-21-2012, 12:42 AM   #31
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If any of my kids wanna race i'll starr them on electric pan cars. probably 17.5 blinky 12th. tonnes of grip and no need to brake just drive the line. eventually 8th IC onroad will be offered if they wanna come along n race with dad.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #32
Tech Apprentice

This is such a great thread. I have never really been into sports to much other than racing. I grew up around race tracks with my dad. i started racing RC when i was young at a local off road track. When i decided to get back into it after having kids i found myself taking my son with me to the track. Regardless to say my racing was over at that time. My son loved it and I wanted to teach him something that i was familiar with and could work with him on. I started him racing at the age of 6. He started off with a 2wd stock truck, this was a great start for him. Running a 2wd off road truck tought him how not to pin the throttle everywhere and to be smooth. After learning that truck i moved him to a Revo and then 8th scale buggy by the time he was 8. He did really well running off road. About the time he was 9 we moved to 1/10 nitro sedan. All i can say is that over the last 7 years is that this has been such a great opportunity for my son and i to spend time together and he has learned a lot form doing it. I have a younger son and i can't wait to get him out there too. We have taken this last season off but look forward to returning in the very near future. As it was stated earlier in this thread. theres nothing like pitting for your son and watching him get so fast and consistent that people just stop and watch. I feel so good when other racers come up to me and say wow is that your kid man is he fast. It just makes a dad feel so proud of his son.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Default There is a plan

Here in Toledo, !/12th is dead and that's a shame. The 1/12th car is the best starting place in my book. Cheap, easy to work on when needed, easy to get around the track, and fun. My grandsons ran CRC 1/12th with losie late model bodies on the oval to start. I've always have been a 1/8th on road guy and this was the very start of getting the boys to gas. The simple pan car is the next move and who knows after that?
It's cool that there are fellow racers with the same thoughts. There are no wrong paths to getting the kids racing, but some paths are better then others. I belief the path to lots of radio time and lots of track time will yield the best results.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL!! LETS RACE SOME MORE!!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:05 AM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

I'm glad to see other people are also helping pass on the racing bug to their kids!
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #35
Tech Regular

Default Not much longer!

Grandsons are turning up the heat on me. III is faster for sure but needs to clean up his act some. Noah is taking his time, just enjoying the drive! WHAT FUN!!
Das 1/8th Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:18 AM   #36
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Where there are RC kids, there are RC dads.

It's usually a boy thing ya know... I've had 5 great years filled with ups and downs with my two sons, I started 35 years ago building Balsa gliders with PVA glue, then sold it, got car, got married had kids and spent the first 10 years sulking when they'd bring home RC toys and I'd wait in the wings for them to break only to find out there were no servos and receiver inside but a moulded chassis come circuit board and a couple of electric motors.

Needless to say, I bought a Tamiya gravel hound when they reached ten years old and then an Inferno 1:8 Nitro buggy and just by chance stumbled across a world class track. Hopped across the lane to the hobby shop and bought our first 200mm tourer.

We agreed that we'd take turns, that lasted all of a week and I was relegated to the garages and pit lane. We agreed that if they drove well, kept on the track we'd be able to keep going and they could drive. In no time I had my younger son driving EP and the older IC and we spent every weekend together creating fond memories.

My eldest is 17 now, he dragged me and my back pocket into a 1:1 car VW GOLF MK1 GTI with a 16V implant so his head was hanging out with mates and enjoying his new found freedom. His last year at school also drew him towards a rugby team that ended well and they won premiership, but we missed him at the races.

He came back to race our state titles and it was just like it always was, I think he's been bitten by the bug and trust later in his life there'll be a time to escape and play with his kids.

While I've not witnessed any real sexism in the sport, there are so few female racers I'll openly admit I like my sons hanging out with the "BLOKES" as we call them and enjoying a common interest that lends itself well to boyishness. Specially enjoy the mix of age groups that make up our sport and a time where you see care from elder males to the younger ones, passing on their wisdom and experience in what can be (and is for us) a cruel hobby.

It's taught them electrics, mechanics, physics, a little chemistry and a whole lot of self control. A great way of teaching as there's lots of subject matter to work from. I try and keep the racing separate from their performance and look to the timing systems for a good measure of improvement. Best advice is, "keep it on the black stuff and get out of the way of any car on your tail."

Yes they are the future, yes we should nurture them, 11 is a good time to start and there's only 5-6 years at this stage with them. My younger is still into the racing and I put that down as lucky. I know many that still race into their mid twenties and a few that appear once a year, every year

They're big now... and still racing

http://youtu.be/4kaQ8njHE_s

h
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #37
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Dasmopar

Great post blis. Did you make that video? Thats very good also.

Yesterday we had rain in the morning so our race turned into a test-n-tune. I took this free day to work with my son and really work on flatout speed for one lap. I was trying to get him to find the limits of the car and recognize when he was at the limit. I was having a hard time getting him to pull the trigger soon enough, he likes to wait till the car is dead straight before he really lays into the throttle. So after a day of trying to get him to RIP on it I was about to give up when he asked if his Cousin could stay the night. I told him if he could run a 24 sec lap his cousin could stay the night. (His cousin could stay the night regaurdless of the results but we will keep that between us.) So after a few laps of warming up he turned a 25.5 which was his fastest lap for the day, then backed it up with a 25.4, then followed that lap up with a 24.0 !! He finished his lap and pulled straight into the pits and you would have thought he just won the worlds!!! Jumping up and down yelling and the whole 9 yards. He came down off the driver's stand and we high fived, all was right with the world.
Chicky fan club member #11
Dasmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #38
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
It's usually a boy thing ya know... I've had 5 great years filled with ups and downs with my two sons, I started 35 years ago building Balsa gliders with PVA glue, then sold it, got car, got married had kids and spent the first 10 years sulking when they'd bring home RC toys and I'd wait in the wings for them to break only to find out there were no servos and receiver inside but a moulded chassis come circuit board and a couple of electric motors.

Needless to say, I bought a Tamiya gravel hound when they reached ten years old and then an Inferno 1:8 Nitro buggy and just by chance stumbled across a world class track. Hopped across the lane to the hobby shop and bought our first 200mm tourer.

We agreed that we'd take turns, that lasted all of a week and I was relegated to the garages and pit lane. We agreed that if they drove well, kept on the track we'd be able to keep going and they could drive. In no time I had my younger son driving EP and the older IC and we spent every weekend together creating fond memories.

My eldest is 17 now, he dragged me and my back pocket into a 1:1 car VW GOLF MK1 GTI with a 16V implant so his head was hanging out with mates and enjoying his new found freedom. His last year at school also drew him towards a rugby team that ended well and they won premiership, but we missed him at the races.

He came back to race our state titles and it was just like it always was, I think he's been bitten by the bug and trust later in his life there'll be a time to escape and play with his kids.

While I've not witnessed any real sexism in the sport, there are so few female racers I'll openly admit I like my sons hanging out with the "BLOKES" as we call them and enjoying a common interest that lends itself well to boyishness. Specially enjoy the mix of age groups that make up our sport and a time where you see care from elder males to the younger ones, passing on their wisdom and experience in what can be (and is for us) a cruel hobby.

It's taught them electrics, mechanics, physics, a little chemistry and a whole lot of self control. A great way of teaching as there's lots of subject matter to work from. I try and keep the racing separate from their performance and look to the timing systems for a good measure of improvement. Best advice is, "keep it on the black stuff and get out of the way of any car on your tail."

Yes they are the future, yes we should nurture them, 11 is a good time to start and there's only 5-6 years at this stage with them. My younger is still into the racing and I put that down as lucky. I know many that still race into their mid twenties and a few that appear once a year, every year

They're big now... and still racing

http://youtu.be/4kaQ8njHE_s

h
nice track