Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What effect does "Chambers" have on the performance of a Tuned Pipe? >

What effect does "Chambers" have on the performance of a Tuned Pipe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 07:52 PM
Regional Moderator

I have a question about what role and purpose does "Chambers" serve in a tuned pipe. I see some manufacturers advertise their tuned pipes as being "Dual-Chambered" or having "Three Chambers", but what effect do "Chambers" have on the performance of tuned pipes? I will be using this tuned pipe for a Rossi Pixi-Black .12 engine in my Reflex NT on a large track with long straightaways and big sweeping turns.

Are "Chambers" designed into a tuned pipe to give the pipe itself better top-end or high-RPM performance, or do "Chambers" give the pipe better "bottom-end" or "low-end" performance? Does a "Chambered" tuned pipe offer better performance than a "non-Chambered" tuned pipe? I am looking for a tuned pipe designed for optimum top-end performance. Will a "Chambered" tuned pipe give better top-end performance than a "non-Chambered" tuned pipe?

I saw this G70319 CEN 3 Chamber .12 tuned pipe at CEN's website. They say it has 3 Chambers to "unleash a good top-end power." Here is a picture of it:

Does more "Chambers" in a tuned pipe mean that the pipe itself will have better top-end power? In other words does a 3-Chambered tuned pipe give better top-end performance than a 2-Chambered tuned pipe?

Also, can anyone tell me if the CEN 3-Chambered tuned pipe pictured above is ROAR legal?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by racer rich; 08-09-2002 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: What effect does "Chambers" have on the performance of a Tuned Pipe?

Originally posted by racer rich
I have a question about what role and purpose does "Chambers" serve in a tuned pipe. I see some manufacturers advertise their tuned pipes as being "Dual-Chambered" or having "Three Chambers", but what effect do "Chambers" have on the performance of tuned pipes? I will be using this tuned pipe for a Rossi Pixi-Black .12 engine in my Reflex NT.

Are "Chambers" designed into a tuned pipe to give the pipe itself better top-end or high-RPM performance, or do "Chambers" give the pipe better "bottom-end" or "low-end" performance? Does a "Chambered" tuned pipe offer better performance than a "non-Chambered" tuned pipe? I am looking for a tuned pipe designed for optimum top-end performance. Will a "Chambered" tuned pipe give better top-end performance than a "non-Chambered" tuned pipe?

I saw this G70319 CEN 3 Chamber .12 tuned pipe at CEN's website. They say it has 3 Chambers to "unleash a good top-end power." Here is a picture of it:

Does more "Chambers" in a tuned pipe mean that the pipe itself will have better top-end power? In other words does a 3-Chambered tuned pipe give better top-end performance than a 2-Chambered tuned pipe?

Also, can anyone tell me if the CEN 3-Chambered tuned pipe pictured above is ROAR legal?

Thanks in advance!
Chambers (2,3) were added to reduce the noise level of the exhaust. They hinder performance (topend) some depending on the shape. Some say they boost low end because of the increased back pressure.
If you look at good ones like Novarossi, RB you'll see that its basically a smaller cone inside a larger outside cone. The goal is to keep the shape of the pipe as close to the single pipes as possible. The reason is with 2 strokes, the shape, angles and size of the parts (divergent, convergent cones and body) of the pipe are important to getting good performance.
If you look at poorly designed 2 and 3 chambered cones, they have vertical walls with a hole somewhere separating the pipe into 2 or 3 segments.

Sorry not sure if the CEN is legal or not.
Old 08-10-2002, 12:50 AM
Tech Regular

there is a simple rule for pipes and their uses

small pipe volume= better top end
large pipe volume= better bottom end

so racer rich u r looking for a short skinny pipe