R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Acceleration Problem!

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I have with my new nitro RC car.

I "run-in" the engine when I first got it, putting about 3 tanks of fuel thro it. The next day I took it out for a proper drive about, and ending up staying about 40mins driving it around. Towards the end if the drive the car suddenly lost any acceleration it once had. It now takes a little longer to start going and doesn't reach the speeds it use to. Its a 2 gear car. I'm thinking that it would probably be the clutch (plastic) or the gears, although to be honest I havn't really got a clue as this is my first ever nitro car. Anyone got any ideas what it could be?
Adein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 08:38 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Default Re: Acceleration Problem!

Quote:
Originally posted by JSims1501
I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem I have with my new nitro RC car.

I "run-in" the engine when I first got it, putting about 3 tanks of fuel thro it. The next day I took it out for a proper drive about, and ending up staying about 40mins driving it around. Towards the end if the drive the car suddenly lost any acceleration it once had. It now takes a little longer to start going and doesn't reach the speeds it use to. Its a 2 gear car. I'm thinking that it would probably be the clutch (plastic) or the gears, although to be honest I havn't really got a clue as this is my first ever nitro car. Anyone got any ideas what it could be?

i think it is the clutch spring
ntc3freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:24 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

if everything is ok... and if you have not touch the engine's low speed and high speed needle, that means that it is time to lean the engine's top end(counterclockwise)... you better try getting a experienced player to tune it for you... the lost of acceleration and top speed means that the engine is properly ran in...
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 04:38 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

you are supposed to lean the low end every 5 min til the engine can accelerate off fast without any lag... means that it will jump off straight after you throttle... after that... lean the high end 5 mins everytime till the car reaches its top rpm when it is at full speed... keep leaning it till it cant increase its top rpm anymore and then rich it a little so that you wont break your engine due to lack of lubrication...you can try holding it up and throttling it but be careful not to keep it at a high rpm for too long... after that you can lower the idling till it is at the lowest point without the engine cutting... you can try this but i recommend that a experienced player teaches you to do it instead so he or she can look out for any mistakes...
Old 02-21-2005, 08:11 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

I'll try tuning it a little more later. Although it seems as tho its more than just a tuning problem, the loss of acceleration and top speed is extreme. When I pull the throttle, it'll pull off very slowly and the engine revs alot with very little power actually going to the wheels...
Old 02-21-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
I'll try tuning it a little more later. Although it seems as tho its more than just a tuning problem, the loss of acceleration and top speed is extreme. When I pull the throttle, it'll pull off very slowly and the engine revs alot with very little power actually going to the wheels...
what kind of car is it? (brand or model)
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 08:23 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

As I said its my first nitro car, didn't want anything expensive, i'm from the uk.

its ACME Cyclone Pro, heres the website for it:
http://www.nitrotek.co.uk/proddetail...10397837d76faa

I got it for quite a bit less than listed on the site (new)
Old 02-22-2005, 05:43 AM   #8
Tech Rookie

its reacting this way cause your engine is properly ran in... so now all you have to do is either to get a expirenced player to tune it for you or you can lean the top end(clockwise) till the engine reaches top rpm when it is at full throttle... then rich it a bit(counterclockwise) to ensure enough lube in the engine... but before that... you should lean the low end so that the car will accelerate immediately when you throttle the car... then u can lower the idle so that the engine idles at the lowest rpm...
Old 02-22-2005, 05:46 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

oppps... sorry.. accidentally copy and paste... ignore the previous post... hmmmm... sounds like it is your clutch.... try checking in
Old 02-23-2005, 06:46 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
If your motor revs up and it doest really go anywhere that means the clutch is slipping, so take apart your clutch and check you clutch springs and clutch shoes and make sure its not melted and is on the right way.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:55 PM   #11
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
check your rear diff.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:57 AM   #12
Tech Rookie

i've got a list of things to check now, I'll be looking at each one of them on the weekend, I didn't build the car myself so i have to wait till i have enough time to sit down and have a proper look. I'll post back here when i'm done...
Old 02-24-2005, 03:30 PM   #13
Tech Rookie

my brother took it apart tonight, put it back together and now it seems to work fine. Must have just been something loose. Thx to all of you who offered your help, I really appricuate it. Altho I havn't been able to check it properly except for through my house so expect updates
Old 02-25-2005, 01:17 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Also try changing the plug after running in rich it can leave excess oil left on the plug.
Brett.w is offline   Reply With Quote