Search

2012 Great Lakes Challenge - Toledo, Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 06:13 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks!

Direct link to Sunday's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHBrA5Bc6g

For the rest of the videos, go to YouTube, do a search for "startinggridmagazine", find the listing that says "startinggridmagazine's channel" and click on it. All the videos should be there. Here's Sunday's A-Mains video:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by mikemyers; 08-28-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would like to give a BIG thanks to Brian Berry and the Toledo club for a GREAT race again. I love that place, the track was off the hook. The race was run very smoothly as normal. Great job to all of the Toledo crew in tech, outstanding job guys, thank you.

I would like to thank all the sponsors for the event. It is very generous for these companies to give away prices at races and have to choose which race to give away products due the way economy is today, there is a lot of races throughout the year around the country so thank you guys for the support.

Congratz to D.J. for TQ and his WIN in 1/10TH and Paolo for TQ in 1/8th and Ralph Burch for his A main WIN in 1/8th.

My entire week went terrible from the start at arrival getting on the plane from home and never ended until arriving home dis-morning at 1:30 am. I still had a great time with all my acquaintances and one friend my wife Tracy, LOL..
I would really like to give a special thanks to Joby U, Mike P and Doug F for all there helping me get a radio and receivers to use for my cars after my radio was damaged in shipping. I would also like to thank Doug and Mike for the best pit area with all necessities to use for the race all week and Tracy for her help with me and everyone else she helped along with making us sandwiches daily.

Thank you and see you next year.
Billy

WWW.ACORNRACINGUSA.COM
FOR SERIOUS ON-ROAD RACERS & PRODUCTS
Old 08-28-2012, 01:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm going to take the time to thank Georgia Burling for providing us with tasty AND affordable drinks and eats! Can't ever remember getting a 2.00 cheeseburger and REAL soda in a 24 ounce bottle for a buck!
Old 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM
Tech Addict

Default Equipment List

The equipment list for the A-Main racers is completed. It can be found on the second page of this discussion:

http://www.sgrid.com/forum/showthrea...akes-Challenge

If someone knows how to copy an Excel spreadsheet to RC Tech, without losing all the column spacing, please explain how, or just give your email address and I'll send you the original file.

Also, the handwriting in many cases was very difficult to read - if anyone sees errors, please send me a note no later than tonight, and I'll fix it.

Hey, this race was GREAT FUN for me to be at, take photos, yak at/with people, hang out, eat too much, and wish I still had a car - pan car! I've got lots more photos I might be able to post, if I have time.

Oh yeah, I have what I believe to be a fantastic video of Lou Przybya driving like a young hot-shot, not at all like someone who just celebrated his 75th birthday yesterday!!!!! (I'll try to post the video as well.)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Mike thanks for the pan car video. If you are interested in one let me know. I am trying to get a class going here on the west coast and trying to get a group buy on kits.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks, Garen! Yes, I am interested in one, but I'm not sure how much I'd get to use it, other than to write about it. The racing around Miami is pretty much dead, and if I got really serious about it, I'd probably need to move back to Michigan. Lon gave me a pretty good explanation of how they work (we were going to do a video, but didn't get to it), and I got a real good look at Noah's car.

Some of the fast guys tell me that after 1/8 4WD the pan car is too tame, but I see that as an advantage - I had been thinking about a GT car, but the pan car seems like a much better idea.

Setup seems like it should be very simple - there aren't that many things to set up. Getting all the parts nice and free is something you do for any car, so nothing special there. I got to watch Noah's car quite a bit through my viewfinder, and when he did things right, so did the car. It never looked like he was fighting the car. Other people drove "harder", but he drove more like the way I try to, taking it somewhat easy, and not pushing the car. My advice to him was to simply stay out of trouble, and he'd be getting a trophy - and he did! As Art Carbonell says, pick a pace you want to run at for the full duration of the race, and stick to it, even if other cars are passing you. It's usually "the fast guys" who run into problems, and drop back.

Anyway, bottom line, if I were still living in Ann Arbor, I'd probably already have one of them. As it is, I'd like one, but I'm not sure when/how I'd ever get to use it...... although it's the ONLY car that I've actually thought about bringing to the GLC again. Even that idea has problems though, as I might not be able to do the same race coverage if I was working on and worried about my own car........

Last thought - the ancient pan cars (now museum relics) worked well enough on the rough asphalt tracks that were all people had way back when. Your new pan car is better, the tracks are better, the tires are better, and the electronics are better - I see a real win/win situation with getting one of these pan cars - should be a ton of fun!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mikemyers
Thanks, Garen! Yes, I am interested in one, but I'm not sure how much I'd get to use it, other than to write about it. The racing around Miami is pretty much dead, and if I got really serious about it, I'd probably need to move back to Michigan. Lon gave me a pretty good explanation of how they work (we were going to do a video, but didn't get to it), and I got a real good look at Noah's car.

Some of the fast guys tell me that after 1/8 4WD the pan car is too tame, but I see that as an advantage - I had been thinking about a GT car, but the pan car seems like a much better idea.

Setup seems like it should be very simple - there aren't that many things to set up. Getting all the parts nice and free is something you do for any car, so nothing special there. I got to watch Noah's car quite a bit through my viewfinder, and when he did things right, so did the car. It never looked like he was fighting the car. Other people drove "harder", but he drove more like the way I try to, taking it somewhat easy, and not pushing the car. My advice to him was to simply stay out of trouble, and he'd be getting a trophy - and he did! As Art Carbonell says, pick a pace you want to run at for the full duration of the race, and stick to it, even if other cars are passing you. It's usually "the fast guys" who run into problems, and drop back.

Anyway, bottom line, if I were still living in Ann Arbor, I'd probably already have one of them. As it is, I'd like one, but I'm not sure when/how I'd ever get to use it...... although it's the ONLY car that I've actually thought about bringing to the GLC again. Even that idea has problems though, as I might not be able to do the same race coverage if I was working on and worried about my own car........

Last thought - the ancient pan cars (now museum relics) worked well enough on the rough asphalt tracks that were all people had way back when. Your new pan car is better, the tracks are better, the tires are better, and the electronics are better - I see a real win/win situation with getting one of these pan cars - should be a ton of fun!
great too get some input from others on the class. i'm a toledo regular in but could not make the glc. we kinda think it fills the void from the 235 class. would like input from other guest's as well. still hoping it catches on we have great club races. joe
Old 08-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Adept

Just wanted to say thanks to all involved for hosting another great GLC
I had a great time, looking forward to some more club
Racing at the Toledo track
Lon get your car ready

Lou

Lous Speedway and Hobbies
Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Tech Adept

Would like to thank the GLC crew for a great weekend, i got there saturday morning and had a lots of fun, im glad i finally made it to this race, very impressed on how smooth race went with the amount of racers and classes you had.
Congrats to all the winners and hope to make it next year.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by look
Just wanted to say thanks to all involved for hosting another great GLC
I had a great time, looking forward to some more club
Racing at the Toledo track
Lon get your car ready

Lou

Lous Speedway and Hobbies

My car is all ready for a rematch with you. Next time we meet I'm going to make sure we get some up close and personal race time. Ted and I have made a point to run together in qaulifiers at club races in the past and it is great fun. I think you and I are going to try it next time.

I just want to point out to anyone who might not have made the race but thought hard about coming. YOU MISSED IT!! I have been to many races (Byron's challange, Winter Nats, Nationals, Midwest Series races, ect. ect.) and I have never run on such a great track! Our layout has something for everyone. It has tight technical sections that any 1/12th scale racer would love but also has huge pucker factor in the sweeper coming off the straight. The cross town section infront of the driver's stand is a mix of both and really shows off just how much grip and speed these cars really can make.

The surface is brand new and tire wear had been a issue for us weeks prior but with plenty of traction sprayed down on the track and 115 cars making tons of laps the traction got to the point of Awesome and the tire wear became a non-issue. The groove was atleast twice as wide as the racing line so if you made a mistake and got off line your only penalty was time you lost by being off line. There was no getting off line and then subsequently wadding your car up in the boards because of the lack of traction off line.

Brian Berry ran a great race and kept it all moving at a comfortable pace. He announced the race enough that the drivers knew what was going on but not talking so much that you couldn't communicate with your pit guy.

Mother Nature really couldn't have treated us better. The temps where just about perfect with a little breeze. No rain at all during the GLC either.

As for the racing? My God it was insane! I was qaulified 6th in the A main last year at the GLC. This year I had a better car, Better motors, better tires, and a much better grasp on making my car work for me. I was qaulified 7th in the B main this year. Most guys would think thats a let down but the level of competition was just crazy this year. The B main was stacked with tallent and I hold my head up high and say I finished 4th in the B main which after bumps made me 2nd. It was a 30 min race and it felt like a 30 min qaulifier since no one was willing to shift into cruise control mode and ride it out. It was prolly my best race ever and I had some really good close racing with more than a few guys. I really wanted to make the show but the talent level was just over my head this year.

So if you didn't come you really missed out. Don't let it happen again!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I only remember having one "1 minute" delay called the whole race. Unheard of!!! Berry was on point for the whole program.

Originally Posted by Dasmopar

Brian Berry ran a great race and kept it all moving at a comfortable pace. He announced the race enough that the drivers knew what was going on but not talking so much that you couldn't communicate with your pit guy.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Addict

You have to give credit when credit is due.
The Toledo crew once again has shown everyone how a race should be run.
We can't wait for next year.
I can't think of anything that was not top notch, well maybe this one wasp in the main. LOL
Thank you all once again and we will be there next year.
Greg, Melanie and the Nugget
Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Default Happy Birthday to Lou Przybyla

I'm not sure what the right place is to post this, but since it was filmed at the GLC I'll start here.

Lou Przybyla celebrated his 75th birthday at the GLC. I made a short (5 min) video for him as a birthday present. (It's also some pretty good video footage - Lou rarely drives this hard!!!). Don't skip ahead, or you might miss the good stuff! :-) It's in HD, so view it full screen and turn up the resolution if you can - it should look as clear as a photograph if you do.

You can watch it at the link below, and if you have a YouTube account, you can comment on the video and leave your own birthday wishes for Lou, if you wish to.

Please pass this link around - I'm not really sure where it would reach the most people that have known Lou since he started racing at the very first Nationals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La_0GCSRl-s

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Tech Regular

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOU! I can't wait till I get real old, so I can go fast too! ;-)

Originally Posted by mikemyers
I'm not sure what the right place is to post this, but since it was filmed at the GLC I'll start here.

Lou Przybyla celebrated his 75th birthday at the GLC. I made a short (5 min) video for him as a birthday present. (It's also some pretty good video footage - Lou rarely drives this hard!!!). Don't skip ahead, or you might miss the good stuff! :-) It's in HD, so view it full screen and turn up the resolution if you can - it should look as clear as a photograph if you do.

You can watch it at the link below, and if you have a YouTube account, you can comment on the video and leave your own birthday wishes for Lou, if you wish to.

Please pass this link around - I'm not really sure where it would reach the most people that have known Lou since he started racing at the very first Nationals!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=La_0GCSRl-s

+ YouTube Video
Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Default pictures

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOU! I can't wait till I get real old, so I can go fast too! ;-)
Mike, Can we get copys of indiviual photos from your A main slide show?

thks Ted

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.