R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 AM   #76
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Re-read the MWS GT rules and this popped out:

"Regular price suggested to be under $200 not including tax."

Personally, I would read that as interpretable using the "spirit of competition". But I'm not the guy teching your car, nor do I compete in that class.

There's only so much power those cars can put down, short of the surface being velcro. Hopefully, someone with more involvement in rules interpretation will speak up. The idea is to have full grids in every class. Not to dissuade someone who wants to drive 1300 miles to compete within his chosen class.

JMHO...

https://www.facebook.com/oneeigth2wdpancar/
Farmer_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #77
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo49306 View Post
Can you move Bill up to open with Hammer? I dont like having heart attacks on the driver stand. Bill, the only way I got around you was with my fastest in the west pit guy Terry. Great race, had fun, your a clean racer, thks
That was great fun and clean racing on your part too. Looking forward to next Sunday and the GLC is going to be some close racing!!
Old 07-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #78
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post

Personally, I would read that as interpretable using the "spirit of competition". But I'm not the guy teching your car, nor do I compete in that class.

There's only so much power those cars can put down, short of the surface being velcro. Hopefully, someone with more involvement in rules interpretation will speak up. The idea is to have full grids in every class. Not to dissuade someone who wants to drive 1300 miles to compete within his chosen class.

JMHO...

FJ I am with you on this one!!!
I don't think anyone should be turned away! by the signup sheet, I believe it is an exb class, so if there are at least 2 guys that want to drive from texas to race, I think they should be allowed to run what ever engine they currently have.

We don't limit the cost for engines in sedan or 1/8.

just my thoughts,
FJ see you in less then a month!!!
skeeter 731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #79
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter 731 View Post
FJ I am with you on this one!!!
I don't think anyone should be turned away! by the signup sheet, I believe it is an exb class, so if there are at least 2 guys that want to drive from texas to race, I think they should be allowed to run what ever engine they currently have.

We don't limit the cost for engines in sedan or 1/8.

just my thoughts,
FJ see you in less then a month!!!
+1
Bodies by: www.era1FXcustoms.com
rinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #80
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer_John View Post

JMHO...
My buddy Tom competes in that class and he's got all the engine he could ever need with a fantastic engine that isn't a wallet breaker.

On the flip side...you've a good point about "full grids". Personally, I think the 200 buck limit is a great idea, but racing should represent the will of the racers, so let the GT guys determine that one. I like the rule but it's not my place to decide what the rule should be in a class I don't run in. I'd say, let the rule stand for now, there's plenty of time before the GLC for the GT guys to get together on this and decide if they want a change, and I'm sure it'd be accomodated either way.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:18 AM   #81
Tech Fanatic

I have started racing GT only this season, but i had the opportunity to attend many events with different engines rules (Open engines, Off Road only engines, $280 limit and $200 limit)

I Have to say that i had a lot of fun and great time in all this events and i never felt that i was under power, or that my engine failed. I can vouch and recommend this engines for the different rules:

$200 rule: N21-5T
$280 rule: N21-7R Rally
Open: Kangaroo Rally, Kappo rally or Flash rally
Off Road: Bonito XLB

If you have the correct pipe and header combo, you can be very competitive with the N21-5T in the open class.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:34 PM   #82
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default GT rules for the great lakes challenge

Hello all , the great lakes challenge is upon us and I have had many people ask me about the motor rules for the GT class. It has been a long debate on the forums about what engines should be allowed, and I have listened to many people. I feel that to keep the spirit of the class we should use some moderatly priced motors, it is hard to put a said list of motors out there because there are so many of them available. Here is my thinking on the motor rules:
1.No high dollar high powered on road motors, meaning no kangaroos,flashes,ninjas etc...
2.I would like to keep the price of legal motors below 250.00, this does not mean that you bought a used motor from someone for under 250 dollars when it was normally 500.00, nor does it mean that some shop is selling a 500.00 motor on special sale for 250.00, on this rule I will say everyone knows what I mean so use your common sense as I don't want to argue about it.
3.If there is a motor in question, please post it on tech and I will reply to you as to the legality of the motor or you can just come up to me at the race and ask, I am not a motor nazi and if the motor is 260 dollars i will more than likely pass it, just don't try to play games.
4.The motors should be box stock from the manufacturer, no modifiying.

I would like for everyone to remember that this class is meant to be a fun racers class, keeping the motors within reason will make for some fun racing with lots of possition changes, and it won't make any new commers or perspective new commers shy away because they cant afford big horspower.
Thanks,
Mark Rodney
mrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:51 PM   #83
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassman2 View Post
I personally do not prefer buying a cheap engine that has SO MUCH raw power (like an Ofna .28 or LRP .28) knowing these engines will not last as long as higher priced or better quality engine. When I purchase an engine I look for durability, how well it stays in tune, and how well it performs on the track.

Other things I've noticed about running cheap .28 engines (less than $200) are rotating components on the cars do not last as long as they should due to their torque rating are so high.

So by running a cheap engine for the GT class will end up costing more money for the racers in the long run:

-You'll need to buy SEVERAL cheap engines just so you can race the entire season

-The internal rotating parts of the vehicle will need to be replaced MORE often

-You'll need to be lucky enough to find an engine that will stay in tune for you. I've seeing folks who had bought 4 brand new Ofna .28 engines and only 1 was good enough to stay in tune

I myself would like to save money since I race very often throughout the year.

Somebody might prefer saving money INITIALLY by purchasing a cheap .28 engine that has so much power and he or she can just find the right gearing setup to be very competitive with the high dollar engines. And others might prefer saving money in the long run by purchasing a high quality more expensive engine that might not have the bottom end power but has very good mid to top end performance. In this case he or she can just find the right gearing setup and be very competitive as well.

I would like to see OPEN engine rule for the GT8 class.

Andy Liu "Flyin Hawaiian"
Hi Andy, I am sorry to hear about your motor troubles, but I have to disagree with your statment, I have been running an lrp.28 for about 2 seasons and have yet to have an issue with it. I just recently ran a club race with my oldest engine a dynamite .28 big red and it ran the whole day, it is getting a bit tired now but I have had that motor since I first started running
GT, I am just not sure what people are doing to these things, now if we are talking about the stock kyosho engines I couldn't agree more, but I have tried a few low dollar engines that have all worked fine, on is an nvision .21, it is a 5 port I believe and it only cost 199.00. and as Paolo stated there is a nova rossi for 199.00. So there are plenty of good quality low dollar motors to choose from, and also just because it is a high dollar motor doesn't mean it can't blow up, ask any 1/8th scale racer.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:05 PM   #84
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

He's no motor Nazi my rear end...oh he's a Nazi alright!!! Just wait until you see him for tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrod View Post
Hello all , the great lakes challenge is upon us and I have had many people ask me about the motor rules for the GT class. It has been a long debate on the forums about what engines should be allowed, and I have listened to many people. I feel that to keep the spirit of the class we should use some moderatly priced motors, it is hard to put a said list of motors out there because there are so many of them available. Here is my thinking on the motor rules:
1.No high dollar high powered on road motors, meaning no kangaroos,flashes,ninjas etc...
2.I would like to keep the price of legal motors below 250.00, this does not mean that you bought a used motor from someone for under 250 dollars when it was normally 500.00, nor does it mean that some shop is selling a 500.00 motor on special sale for 250.00, on this rule I will say everyone knows what I mean so use your common sense as I don't want to argue about it.
3.If there is a motor in question, please post it on tech and I will reply to you as to the legality of the motor or you can just come up to me at the race and ask, I am not a motor nazi and if the motor is 260 dollars i will more than likely pass it, just don't try to play games.
4.The motors should be box stock from the manufacturer, no modifiying.

I would like for everyone to remember that this class is meant to be a fun racers class, keeping the motors within reason will make for some fun racing with lots of possition changes, and it won't make any new commers or perspective new commers shy away because they cant afford big horspower.
Thanks,
Mark Rodney
Old 07-31-2012, 01:06 PM   #85
Tech Elite

Paolo, when you get to the GLC (cuz I know you're coming, you can't miss this one!) can you give me the run down on that car? I meant to ask you at the Byron's but had too much on my mind. With the prices you listed below for motors, I'm really curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo M View Post
I have started racing GT only this season, but i had the opportunity to attend many events with different engines rules (Open engines, Off Road only engines, $280 limit and $200 limit)

I Have to say that i had a lot of fun and great time in all this events and i never felt that i was under power, or that my engine failed. I can vouch and recommend this engines for the different rules:

$200 rule: N21-5T
$280 rule: N21-7R Rally
Open: Kangaroo Rally, Kappo rally or Flash rally
Off Road: Bonito XLB

If you have the correct pipe and header combo, you can be very competitive with the N21-5T in the open class.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM   #86
Tech Adept

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid View Post
He's no motor Nazi my rear end...oh he's a Nazi alright!!! Just wait until you see him for tech.
o.k we will be keeping a special eye on your car mister. Tech is going to be tight this year, not one gram over or DQ for you.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Quote:
o.k we will be keeping a special eye on your car mister. Tech is going to be tight this year, not one gram over or DQ for you.
last year I didn't have a wing on my car because of tech, the year before it was 1mm too wide, now this!
Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 PM   #88
Tech Adept

Quote:
last year I didn't have a wing on my car because of tech, the year before it was 1mm too wide, now this!
looks like you have some work to do there buddy.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #89
Tech Elite

Quote:
looks like you have some work to do there buddy.
You're doing this because I'm black! I know what's going on here.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #90
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
You're doing this because I'm black! I know what's going on here.
It's not because your black... its because your ugly Three years ago Rodney DQ me too and were club members and friends

Elliott
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote