Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Great Lakes Challenge - Toledo, Ohio

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Thanks Matt! I never had a Hemi. To think you could walk in to you Dodge dealer and lay down 6 grand and get one of those. They only made about 50 Darts and 50 Cudus, yet they're every where now. MoPar to Ya!!
Those are very cool cars.... I basically grew up at Milan as my buddies dad
Had a 69 barracuda with a 440 that ran 10 flat...I love those fastback
Cudas
Old 08-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIGCAT TX
Sorry man...I have just seen too many racers sitting at the track complaining about the one guy that has a more expensive motor and is doing better than others.....NOT because of the other motor but because he is a better racer/mechanic/driver overall. It just gets so far under my skin when this is an off road buggy based class. If you used that as an excuse in off road buggy you would be laughed at. Just makes zero sense to me. I have listened to it for too long and have to speak my mind about it.

When I was a new guy I lost because I wasn't as good period. The motor wasn't the issue and it was proven over time and time again. I really think it is a sorry excuse not to be a better racer overall.

As a matter of fact, electronics/servos/radios might be more important from a dependability/control stand point than motors. You can have a 100 motor tuned right that beats a 700 motor tuned wrong. The motor thing is so relative to the driver/pit guy. It just doesn't make sense to me. Are they not going to allow a racer with an RSX servo because it is 250 dollars? really....

Believe me I am trying to get over it but it just kills me.....
the motor rule is to stop people like me

unless you want to put a modded 21 keep on or flash in your car ever 3-4 weeks and have 2 spares in your pit box

example last year from april to september I used 7 motors I can tell you 7 at 250 is a far cry from the 450-650 each motor I used

so if your motor budget is 4000-4500 a year then you need to just race 1/8th scale

and if you have more budget race both classes

and here is a last little secret I will let you in on.....the motor price cap is the same for everyone

and its not just the 250 its the glow plugs also in a 2 day weekend your dropping 30+ on plugs or more if things go wrong not so with the non turbo plug 250 limit

sorry i just dont see what the issue is about its the same for every racer and saves some money

I just dont get the gripe
Old 08-07-2012, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ira
Only once, hope to see you there.

From the,
Creole Cowboy
Not me this year unfortunately. New job = no vacation time.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Tech Regular

Default Almost afraid to ask, but....

What are the rules at the GLC pertaining to the use of tire additives/sauce?

Yikes...now I did it...
Old 08-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Just dropped my entry in the mail
Old 08-09-2012, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
Not me this year unfortunately. New job = no vacation time.
what's your new job?
Old 08-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mhavlena

Yikes...now I did it...
I could be wrong but i don't think they care. other racers might, I personally don't care it you slather them in olive oil and boil then with noodles.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yikes...now I did it...
Any commercially available tire sauce is ok to use. No Home Brews what so ever. Normaly we get the track so glued that tire dope is a non-issue.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
the motor rule is to stop people like me

unless you want to put a modded 21 keep on or flash in your car ever 3-4 weeks and have 2 spares in your pit box

example last year from april to september I used 7 motors I can tell you 7 at 250 is a far cry from the 450-650 each motor I used

so if your motor budget is 4000-4500 a year then you need to just race 1/8th scale

and if you have more budget race both classes

and here is a last little secret I will let you in on.....the motor price cap is the same for everyone

and its not just the 250 its the glow plugs also in a 2 day weekend your dropping 30+ on plugs or more if things go wrong not so with the non turbo plug 250 limit

sorry i just dont see what the issue is about its the same for every racer and saves some money

I just dont get the gripe
I'm not going to make the GLC race this year ..... WAY TOOOOOO MANY GOOD RACES THIS YEAR ......... but for the GT guys, this was posted on the thread on the ROAR Forums. Reply was by Steve Pond, ROAR President:

Jim, I can get you the rules with the exception of the engine specifications, and the engines that are approved. That's the the last part, and the most detailed, that still needs to be completed. The dollar figure has been remotely effective, but it excludes higher quality engines that would also qualify performance-wise. We're looking to have a level playing field as far as performance, and the dollar figure isn't the proper solution. The engine rule will ultimately have set specifications, and the approved engines will be listed in the forum, with all the internals photographed in detail so anyone can log in at any time and know what the internals should look like, in the event there's any dispute. This is the part of the rules that's not finished yet, but I think I can get you the rest of the rules within this week. I'm going to be at the electric nats, so time may run short, but I'm pushing to have them ready for you.

Response for Jim Rice on the Winter Nationals
Old 08-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default GLC GT rules

Hi there, as many of you know we have had questions on the rules for the GT class at the great lakes challenge, we as a club have been talking about the rules for a while now and we requested that someone from roar get in contact with us, and so far no one has. Therefore we are going to stick to our original rules for this class which is the same rules that we run in our midwest series, we have a motor price limit of 250 dollars, we feel that most of the racers in our region who have supported this rule and race with us on a regular basis will appreciate this as this is what they are used to and they are the main ones who support our tracks.There are plenty of motors whithin this price range, so i don't think this is a major problem. I hope to see some
GT racers at the GLC this year and lets remember to have fun.
Thanks.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Can I paypal in my entry?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nrtv20
Can I paypal in my entry?
nevermind mailed the entries!

Nick Traut - 1/8 open
Bob Traut - 1/8 masters
Old 08-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nrtv20
nevermind mailed the entries!

Nick Traut - 1/8 open
Bob Traut - 1/8 masters
I feel your pain. I hate handling cash or writing checks.

Those that would have been able to quickly answer your question are probably either in Cincinnati, or on their way for this weekends Midwest series race.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I am a club member and had to mail mine also.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Tech Regular

Default Tires / Shore rating?

Any preferred tire type / shore rating for this track?

Appreciate!!
Old 08-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Any preferred tire type / shore rating for this track?

Appreciate!!
I certainly am NO authority on the subject, Sedan; 40/42...and round. 1/8th, all I can tell you is my pan likes the throwaway 35 rears I usually pick up from you 4wd guys. Fronts...round is the best I can share. GT...no clue.

Keep in mind that the track was just freshly resurfaced and the grip is pretty abundant. Hopefully someone with a more developed knowledge base will come along and answer/correct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.