R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 145 (100%+)
Default Ofna DM-1 Spec Brakes! Horrible!

Hey guys, I have already done the search and all the threads on this are real old so I wanted to see if there were any new parts or ideas to make the brakes on the Ofna DM-1 work better. This is the nitro and it has stock brakes on it right now. Thanks!
Kyle

IGT Hobbies - The one stop shop for anything on-road and incredible customer service.
brothainchrist0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothainchrist0 View Post
Hey guys, I have already done the search and all the threads on this are real old so I wanted to see if there were any new parts or ideas to make the brakes on the Ofna DM-1 work better. This is the nitro and it has stock brakes on it right now. Thanks!
Kyle

Ive been using stock brakes with great success ... you only have to be clear on leaving them with enough play in order to not be continuously rubbing the pads, if they overheat, you are done ... other than that a strong servo and thats it ...

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I moved the rear pads to the front and made the front brakes a double. I also took the spring out of a ball point pen, cut it in half, and put them between the pads to hold them open when not being applied. This setup worked like a champ for me.
X-Ray NT1, Losi XXX-SCB/Micro T, CRC GenXL, Blade 120SR
If everything is under control, you are going too slow- Mario Andretti
Lapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Quote:
Kyle
Kyle go to www.igthobbies.com and look under optional parts for the DM1-Spec. Ofna makes an upgrade disk (part# OFN49009) and metallic pads (part# OFN36659) along with the brake separator springs (part# OFN40044) that will fix your problem. You'll get two brake disks but your wear out the pads long before the disks. I had the same problem with the brakes. They started off good but after a race they would fade and be worthless. I have been running them for a year now and my brake issues are gone. Get with Wild Bill and IGTHobbies and he will hook you up.
WWW.IGTHOBBIES.COM - Your #1 GT Source!!!

Serpent Cobra GT / OS Speed / Sweep Tires / KO Propo

Last edited by chaderick; 05-29-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: left out part number
chaderick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaderick View Post
Kyle go to www.igthobbies.com and look under optional parts for the DM1-Spec. Ofna makes an upgrade disk (part# OFN49009) and metallic pads (part# OFN36659) that will fix your problem. I had the same problem with the brakes. They started off good but after a race they would fad and be worhtless. I have been running them for a year now and my brake issues are a non-issue. Get with Wild Bill and IGTHobbies and he will hook you up.
100% in agreement. Please check with IGTHobbies and Wild Bill will take care of you for sure!!!!
bassman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to bobbyblaze

for 3yrs i been running the losi upgraded brakes....they work excellent especially if you get fuel splash on them there no fade
Bend The Rules--Rule The Bends
bobbyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Tech Elite

thanks a lot for the feedback guys! This really helps a lot. I will have to check out igt.

IGT Hobbies - The one stop shop for anything on-road and incredible customer service.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Yes, IGT hobbies is the place to go.....wild bill will hook you up. Having the spring spacers is key. That will allow the shoes to come off the pad immediately. And in between heats or quals you can turn that screw on your pads with a ball head a tiny bit....like 1 hr at a time to get any wear you lost on the pad/shoe. You can do this while it is on the car. I only use the one brake on the front of the 2 speed.....no need for double IMO.

I have had no break issues since the upgraded pad/shoes. Also, I really don't use breaks a whole lot anymore.....more for emergencies or when I am coming in a bit hot to a corner.
Hobby Express - www.TheHobbyExpress.com
BIGCAT TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Tech Elite

i think we are going to do the igt brakes. How fast do those get worn down? Should I buy like 3 sets of calipers?

Old 05-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
Tech Adept

I have been using the same ones for almost a year.....no issues.
Hobby Express - www.TheHobbyExpress.com
BIGCAT TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
Tech Elite

ok cool. that should work perfect than

Old 05-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

get a doble break stanley steel disc in front and fiber pad and try it's work perfect ok
Quote:
Kyle
manny021803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs up

get a dobble ventilated disc break stanley steel in front and fiberglass pad and try it's work perfect ok
Quote:
Kyle
manny021803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
Tech Elite

dang! I have all kinds of options. This is actually my dads car and he thinks he has it figured out. He is gonna give it a try this weekend when we go to the track and then if that doesnt work we are goign to look into buying some upgraded parts. Thanks a ton guys!

Old 06-02-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to dasmurf93

Quote:
dang! I have all kinds of options. This is actually my dads car and he thinks he has it figured out. He is gonna give it a try this weekend when we go to the track and then if that doesnt work we are goign to look into buying some upgraded parts. Thanks a ton guys!
From previous experience I would go with the dm1 pro brake set up. You will never have problems again
dasmurf93 is offline   Reply With Quote