R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   1/8 GT Endurance Race (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/624264-1-8-gt-endurance-race.html)

OldBourbon 04-30-2012 08:38 PM

1/8 GT Endurance Race

I'll try to keep this brief but a lot to cover. If you can struggle through the long winded post I'd love to get some feedback on this topic.

If you race 1/8 GT class now would you be interested in racing this format?

In an area that doesn't have any on-road presence right now and there's a good number of good drivers who are miserable about it (NC).

Working with a LHS we're tossing around the idea of an endurance race to promote the class and hobby in the area.

We're thinking a race of this type would draw drivers from out of state, give us local press and perhaps even national coverage, youtube etc. The hope would be that a club would be born and shortly after that a proper track!

We have much of the equipment needed for a temporary track, lap counting, very nice asphalt, portable lighting and most important manpower.

Here's where we need feedback:

Would you travel a distance to participate?
thoughts on length of race? 24/8=3 hours? would 4 hrs be better - each driver drives 2 hours? 6 hours (this is my vote to truly separate it from typical races)
2,3 driver team?
time of day? I think afternoon into the evening would be fun but maybe early morning start would make more sense.

Classes - we're thinking 1/8 GT nitro two classes: Outlaw (comparable to Daytona prototypes)
GT class rules with any motor, 150 cc fuel, any body to include the european lolls which mimc the DP cars.
Then GT class using the most common GT rules being used now.
Electric - 1/8 GT size any body, motor, battery

Let me know what you think....I think this would have huge potential. It would be fantastic to see shops put together a team car or two team cars to bring to race!

scary_jerry 05-01-2012 07:28 AM

GT enduro

Hey Old Bourbon.....

Great concept to try to get some coverage and support for the GT.

Try the 'Timezone Raceway' thread activity by 'CLETE'....He got a three hour
event together last season and reported that they had immense fun.

They formed teams, 'self marshaled' etc. His rules were in his notes on the RCtech 'Timezone' discussions down the way here....currently under your post.

Great concept.....our exposure to the public continues to bring new GT prospects into our local shops. Hotrod car shows, Eatery 'grand openings' that have had our local GT group IS quite the crowd draw. An 'endurance' type event would step it up a bit.

Good Luck.........\:tire::cool::tire:\>

wingracer 05-01-2012 07:47 AM

You will want to require a minimum of 3 man teams. 1 to drive, 1 to pit, 1 to marshal.

hitcharide1 05-01-2012 08:33 AM

Hi

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 10676456)
You will want to require a minimum of 3 man teams. 1 to drive, 1 to pit, 1 to marshal.

You may want to pass on the 24 hour idea....part of that problem is expense, where only the rich or teams can afford it. Speaking for myself, I wouldn't mind a 24 hour run but what I lay out now to drive four hours one way for a series race plus tires, fuel, etc means I can't drive nearly as much as I'd like and I suspect a lot of people are in that same boat. On the flip side, the manufacturers may have interest in it to promote their product and might help with sponsorship (parts) and may even field a few teams themselves. Getting drivers is NEVER a problem, that's for sure....

OldBourbon 05-01-2012 08:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I agree the 24 hour idea although very intriguing would be way too expensive in the way of equipment and fuel.

My vote would be a 6 hour race and the 3 person team makes good sense!

What do GT race organizers do regarding weather? I've seen youtube videos of european RC races in heavy rain. Would you recommend advertising it as rain or shine and et the teams determine the amount of prep should it be wet?

If there's anybody in the Raleigh Durham area that would like to be involved in the planning please message me.

scary_jerry 05-02-2012 06:35 AM

We had an 'exhibition' type GT event at a local hotrod car show that got rained on. I was actually doing really well because of the tires I had on. To my dismay, the timing computer went down when the rain got into the wiring. To this day I think 'the plug got pulled' ..............although my car was about to get waterlogged.

Rain discourages the crowds for something like this unless they are already RC
nuts. Hopefully you can get a good 'weather window' . (good luck, I was at Ft. Bragg) :cool: