R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
Tech Addict

Default First Race G4JR

Yesterday was my first race with my G4JR car handled okay had a problem with my servo saver in the main. [green car]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pZav...ayer_embedded#!
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
Yesterday was my first race with my G4JR car handled okay had a problem with my servo saver in the main. [green car]

Well done... car looked alright going around. I am pretty sure the bellcrank used on the G4JR or G4JS is off lower quality then that on the G4+ and G4RS etc. It could be just the spring that Team Magic has used, i will have a closer look when i get home tonight.

What engine and clutch are you using? Still the SH with the three shoe?

Andrew
Old 04-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear View Post
What engine and clutch are you using? Still the SH with the three shoe?

Andrew
SH engine 30% nitro with a medium glow plug, which ran rich all day switching to a hot plug next time out the car seemed to accelerate sluggishly. Three shoe clutch thinking of switch to a push clutch. The servo saver worked after changing the turn buckles I left my DR at 100% needs a little tightening.

I hit the boards trying to get my pit man's attention he's the one with the red shorts standing in front of the trucks.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
SH engine 30% nitro with a medium glow plug, which ran rich all day switching to a hot plug next time out the car seemed to accelerate sluggishly. Three shoe clutch thinking of switch to a push clutch. The servo saver worked after changing the turn buckles I left my DR at 100% needs a little tightening.

I hit the boards trying to get my pit man's attention he's the one with the red shorts standing in front of the trucks.
Your next choice will be the important one.

If you are using the RTR clutch and .15 SH at 30% it's being worked hard.
If you decide to do some engine maintenance, you'll find that it's painful to remove the clutches without loosening the springs clips. Hence why I assume you'd prefer the centax clutch.

What you want to do now is find a used G4 EVO LE 2008 kit 2nd with parts to backup your car. Why? By the time you've purchased a new clutch, the SH will have had better days. The bearings will likely fail and you'll be reaching into your pocket.

Even for the price of the new G4 EVO LE 08 kit, it's economically more sensible to buy it becuase all the belts, arms, pulleys and spurs are available, as well as the bling bearings and bulkheads with WC options. You get a clutch worth $100, bearings worth $100, chassis parts worth $100 and screws and a $200 WC.

Looks like you were having a blast in the video, well done. We did and still do the same. There's a few things I could have done better, just letting you know. Postman is laughing his way to the bank over here otherwise I'd send you a ufo I have spare. It's a tight fit, but a Shepherd V10 clutch works a treat, you do have to grind the opposing support to let the engine sit a little further back to get a good mesh.

h
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Tech Addict

I haven't raced nitro in over 9 years I was having a blast I wish we were racing on-road this weekend but it's off-road. If the engine fails I'm okay looking at a RB Jr, and I'm thinking of getting a G4RS 2009.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Bubblehead:

I would go the G4+ Evo over the G4RS 2009 and then use your G4JR as spares. Only advantage 09 has is adjustable lower front roll centre with a KFactory upgrade. But i reckon the 09 has too much play in the rear compared to the G4+ Evo...

I am glad to see some passion for Team Magic still. I actually found my G4S RTR and my G4+ LE on Sunday after working on my brother Edam Spirit, the G4 just feels like home and is so easy to work on.

Keep enjoying your racing...

Andrew
Old 04-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Tech Addict

Wolf Hobbies has G4RS, G4JS, G4JR.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:41 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Wolf Hobbies has G4RS, G4JS, G4JR.
rcshopping.com (Team Magic Direct) and tell them Andrew sent you from Oz

Andrew
Old 04-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Quote:
rcshopping.com (Team Magic Direct) and tell them Andrew sent you from Oz

Andrew
Thanks, I'll give them a look.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Nice track & driving.. Am considering getting a G4JR too for an IFMAR-rules race after being in & out of the hobby. Still haven't decided between a V-One, NT1 Xray or KM HK1 though. Am more in it for the fun of driving, it doesn't have to be the most high spec vehicle, but low cost of maintenance & spares is important.

Does the G4JR come with a tank not more than 75cc? I've been searching the web for this but couldn't find the info. Thanks in advance.

Quote:

alainprost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:13 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainprost View Post
Nice track & driving.. Am considering getting a G4JR too for an IFMAR-rules race after being in & out of the hobby. Still haven't decided between a V-One, NT1 Xray or KM HK1 though. Am more in it for the fun of driving, it doesn't have to be the most high spec vehicle, but low cost of maintenance & spares is important.

Does the G4JR come with a tank not more than 75cc? I've been searching the web for this but couldn't find the info. Thanks in advance.
Hi

Yes the G4JR does come with a 75cc tank that is race legal, comparing to the other cars you are looking at the G4+ Evo from Team Magic would be a comparison model compared to the Xray and KM Racing cars. The G4JR is an ready to run model with a basic radio and motor included which also has phillips heads wood screws through out compared to a hex head machine thread which has more bite in the material and less likely to pull out.

I have all three of these cars you are looking at the moment and at the moment my pick would be the Xray NT1 2012... I have had issues with screws falling out of the alloy bulkheads on my H-K1 (builder issue maybe!!!), but also have a huge soft spot for Team Magic too!

At the end of the day its your call and people with all ways be pro the car they have at the time, but also weigh up parts availablity and getting support locally from people at your local track.

Hope this helps
Andrew
Old 09-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by alainprost View Post

fint it out at titiwangsa track
kyosho malaysia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Hi

Yes the G4JR does come with a 75cc tank that is race legal, comparing to the other cars you are looking at the G4+ Evo from Team Magic would be a comparison model compared to the Xray and KM Racing cars. The G4JR is an ready to run model with a basic radio and motor included which also has phillips heads wood screws through out compared to a hex head machine thread which has more bite in the material and less likely to pull out.

I have all three of these cars you are looking at the moment and at the moment my pick would be the Xray NT1 2012... I have had issues with screws falling out of the alloy bulkheads on my H-K1 (builder issue maybe!!!), but also have a huge soft spot for Team Magic too!

At the end of the day its your call and people with all ways be pro the car they have at the time, but also weigh up parts availablity and getting support locally from people at your local track.

Hope this helps
Andrew
Hi Andrew

Screws falling out of the alloy is definetly not a builder issue! :-) I had the same problem, not had, I still have the same problem!
Balestri told me that it is an issue with the Evo1 which was improved on the Evo2 (tighter measurements on screw holes).
Anyway, I would also go with a NT1 or a G4+ or G4RS 09. Both are easy to maintain and a dream to drive
As I'm driving the KM H-K1 I will pick up a G4RS09 and make some comparison tests in 2013
Italboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italboy View Post
Hi Andrew

Screws falling out of the alloy is definetly not a builder issue! :-) I had the same problem, not had, I still have the same problem!
Balestri told me that it is an issue with the Evo1 which was improved on the Evo2 (tighter measurements on screw holes).
Anyway, I would also go with a NT1 or a G4+ or G4RS 09. Both are easy to maintain and a dream to drive
As I'm driving the KM H-K1 I will pick up a G4RS09 and make some comparison tests in 2013
You sold your 2009 G4RS?

Thanks
Andrew
Old 09-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
You sold your 2009 G4RS?

Thanks
Andrew
Unfortunately yes, 1 year ago..
Italboy is offline   Reply With Quote