Wiki Posts
Search

Cheap Parking Lot Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 04:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
Other tracks.... And my dream Driver Stand....
Wow, that is sick. The portable driver stand is just awesome! I'm going to start a facebook group and see how many drivers in the area are into onroad before I make any investments.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Silo
Trying to come up with a way to make a track at a local parking lot. I want it to be easy to setup and take apart. I know I would make the outer edge from wood but what can I use for the inner parts? What would be the cheapest way to get this done?

This is for 1/10 cars.
Back when we got started there were very few RC car owners and we didn't want to go to a lot of work and trouble to have to actually build a track.

What we did was get sheet rock trimmings from a new home development and glue 3 or 4 of these long (5 to 6 feet long and 6" wide) strips together with sheet rock mud. What we ended up with was a huge piece of CHALK.

We would then use this piece of chalk to draw a track onto the racing surface. The line it created was about 3" wide and very easily seen. The beauty of this way of creating a track is that if someone tried to cut the track to get an unfair advantage they would get the chalk all over their tires and then their car would handle horribly for a number of laps until they wore the chalk off of the tires. The racers very quickly learned to stay between the lines!

Also, the Chalk would wash away when it rained leaving no evidence that we had ever been there.

Lee
Old 04-20-2012, 06:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Winner's Circle
Back when we got started there were very few RC car owners and we didn't want to go to a lot of work and trouble to have to actually build a track.

What we did was get sheet rock trimmings from a new home development and glue 3 or 4 of these long (5 to 6 feet long and 6" wide) strips together with sheet rock mud. What we ended up with was a huge piece of CHALK.

We would then use this piece of chalk to draw a track onto the racing surface. The line it created was about 3" wide and very easily seen. The beauty of this way of creating a track is that if someone tried to cut the track to get an unfair advantage they would get the chalk all over their tires and then their car would handle horribly for a number of laps until they wore the chalk off of the tires. The racers very quickly learned to stay between the lines!

Also, the Chalk would wash away when it rained leaving no evidence that we had ever been there.

Lee
Well I just dont see creating a parking lot track any cheaper than this. Pretty crafty idea.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by P2gee
Well I just dont see creating a parking lot track any cheaper than this. Pretty crafty idea.
+1
Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

I was thinking about doing that at first then build a track later. So far I'm thinking of doing a outer wood wall with rubber hose or pvc pipe insides. I want to reduce the need a drivers having to go fix their cars as much as possible.

I have a friend with a 4tec that is going to HATE the chalk

Going to feel great running lap around him in my RS4
Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
Oh my..... where is the stomping grounds for that 'Castle Hobbies' trailer/driver stand??? That was a seriously nice 'temporary' track. I may have to see if I have 'relatives' I can go to visit in that part of the country.
the pic's are of RAM's thats the nat's at mission college , we are at the corner of camden and union in san jose now
Old 04-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hi

Don't know if this adds to it or not, but here goes....

"Back in the day" we had a large trailer that carried all the stuff for the track and doubled as the drivers stand. The outer ring was one by with pins to connect the boards, the inner track was typically 2 x 4 with pins and sandbags, and we used a bunch of different sized dots (plow discs) in the corners. Usually, 10 guys could set it all up in an hour or less. The advantages are huge, portable vs. permanent. No one expects a perfect surface, you can set up in high traffic places (malls don't complain since you're only there for a day or two at a time and it increases their business without locking up part of their parking 24/7). You don't have to worry about vandals, it's pretty low maintenance, you aren't stuck if you lose your lease, and so forth. It's especially handy if you have two clubs and neither can afford a permanent track; they can split the costs and since it's all portable, they can still set up close to their individual locations.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Don't know if this adds to it or not, but here goes....

"Back in the day" we had a large trailer that carried all the stuff for the track and doubled as the drivers stand. The outer ring was one by with pins to connect the boards, the inner track was typically 2 x 4 with pins and sandbags, and we used a bunch of different sized dots (plow discs) in the corners. Usually, 10 guys could set it all up in an hour or less. The advantages are huge, portable vs. permanent. No one expects a perfect surface, you can set up in high traffic places (malls don't complain since you're only there for a day or two at a time and it increases their business without locking up part of their parking 24/7). You don't have to worry about vandals, it's pretty low maintenance, you aren't stuck if you lose your lease, and so forth. It's especially handy if you have two clubs and neither can afford a permanent track; they can split the costs and since it's all portable, they can still set up close to their individual locations.
Thats what we have at GLARCRC. The trailer doubles as the driverstand, and the club leases a parking lot from the city. It works really good.