R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-20-2012, 05:53 AM   #16
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 423
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvoltz View Post
Other tracks.... And my dream Driver Stand....
Wow, that is sick. The portable driver stand is just awesome! I'm going to start a facebook group and see how many drivers in the area are into onroad before I make any investments.
Silo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #17
Tech Master
 
Winner's Circle's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia USA
Posts: 1,156
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silo View Post
Trying to come up with a way to make a track at a local parking lot. I want it to be easy to setup and take apart. I know I would make the outer edge from wood but what can I use for the inner parts? What would be the cheapest way to get this done?

This is for 1/10 cars.
Back when we got started there were very few RC car owners and we didn't want to go to a lot of work and trouble to have to actually build a track.

What we did was get sheet rock trimmings from a new home development and glue 3 or 4 of these long (5 to 6 feet long and 6" wide) strips together with sheet rock mud. What we ended up with was a huge piece of CHALK.

We would then use this piece of chalk to draw a track onto the racing surface. The line it created was about 3" wide and very easily seen. The beauty of this way of creating a track is that if someone tried to cut the track to get an unfair advantage they would get the chalk all over their tires and then their car would handle horribly for a number of laps until they wore the chalk off of the tires. The racers very quickly learned to stay between the lines!

Also, the Chalk would wash away when it rained leaving no evidence that we had ever been there.

Lee
__________________
Lee Muse
[email protected]
Kyosho ST-RR, Kyosho MP9, Murnan Modified Engines
Winner's Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:05 AM   #18
Tech Regular
 
P2gee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TX
Posts: 378
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winner's Circle View Post
Back when we got started there were very few RC car owners and we didn't want to go to a lot of work and trouble to have to actually build a track.

What we did was get sheet rock trimmings from a new home development and glue 3 or 4 of these long (5 to 6 feet long and 6" wide) strips together with sheet rock mud. What we ended up with was a huge piece of CHALK.

We would then use this piece of chalk to draw a track onto the racing surface. The line it created was about 3" wide and very easily seen. The beauty of this way of creating a track is that if someone tried to cut the track to get an unfair advantage they would get the chalk all over their tires and then their car would handle horribly for a number of laps until they wore the chalk off of the tires. The racers very quickly learned to stay between the lines!

Also, the Chalk would wash away when it rained leaving no evidence that we had ever been there.

Lee
Well I just dont see creating a parking lot track any cheaper than this. Pretty crafty idea.
__________________
Airtronics M-12
BYRONS Gen2 fuel
Capricorn C802
www.motorists.org
P2gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #19
Tech Elite
 
bvoltz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bedtime with Teddi
Posts: 3,635
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2gee View Post
Well I just dont see creating a parking lot track any cheaper than this. Pretty crafty idea.
+1
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Miami
Posts: 423
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I was thinking about doing that at first then build a track later. So far I'm thinking of doing a outer wood wall with rubber hose or pvc pipe insides. I want to reduce the need a drivers having to go fix their cars as much as possible.

I have a friend with a 4tec that is going to HATE the chalk

Going to feel great running lap around him in my RS4
Silo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: san jose, ca.
Posts: 396
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scary_jerry View Post
Oh my..... where is the stomping grounds for that 'Castle Hobbies' trailer/driver stand??? That was a seriously nice 'temporary' track. I may have to see if I have 'relatives' I can go to visit in that part of the country.
the pic's are of RAM's thats the nat's at mission college , we are at the corner of camden and union in san jose now
__________________
SERPENT AMERICA / Desoto Racing / kosmic fuel
michael 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
Tech Addict
 
hitcharide1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 651
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to hitcharide1
Default Hi

Don't know if this adds to it or not, but here goes....

"Back in the day" we had a large trailer that carried all the stuff for the track and doubled as the drivers stand. The outer ring was one by with pins to connect the boards, the inner track was typically 2 x 4 with pins and sandbags, and we used a bunch of different sized dots (plow discs) in the corners. Usually, 10 guys could set it all up in an hour or less. The advantages are huge, portable vs. permanent. No one expects a perfect surface, you can set up in high traffic places (malls don't complain since you're only there for a day or two at a time and it increases their business without locking up part of their parking 24/7). You don't have to worry about vandals, it's pretty low maintenance, you aren't stuck if you lose your lease, and so forth. It's especially handy if you have two clubs and neither can afford a permanent track; they can split the costs and since it's all portable, they can still set up close to their individual locations.
hitcharide1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #23
Tech Champion
 
nitrodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Oxnard, CA
Posts: 5,845
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitcharide1 View Post
Don't know if this adds to it or not, but here goes....

"Back in the day" we had a large trailer that carried all the stuff for the track and doubled as the drivers stand. The outer ring was one by with pins to connect the boards, the inner track was typically 2 x 4 with pins and sandbags, and we used a bunch of different sized dots (plow discs) in the corners. Usually, 10 guys could set it all up in an hour or less. The advantages are huge, portable vs. permanent. No one expects a perfect surface, you can set up in high traffic places (malls don't complain since you're only there for a day or two at a time and it increases their business without locking up part of their parking 24/7). You don't have to worry about vandals, it's pretty low maintenance, you aren't stuck if you lose your lease, and so forth. It's especially handy if you have two clubs and neither can afford a permanent track; they can split the costs and since it's all portable, they can still set up close to their individual locations.
Thats what we have at GLARCRC. The trailer doubles as the driverstand, and the club leases a parking lot from the city. It works really good.
__________________
Steven Muller
AKA El Pibe RUFAST? HAHA!!!
Ronin Speed Parts
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Las Vegas Hobbytown parking lot races trdsupra88 Arizona-New Mexico Racing 479 11-19-2015 03:45 PM
HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review MadHacker Nitro Off-Road 586 07-06-2011 01:26 PM
Need input on track surface options. M-chassisMark Electric On-Road 32 11-03-2010 11:19 PM
Track Builders in Texas (Dallas) XXX8ight Nitro Off-Road 35 04-13-2009 05:12 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:28 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net